Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: Episode 7

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
episode 3 was better than Return of the Jedi.

George lucas always said there were nine films, i will watch the new ones with interest. but then i quite enjoyed episode 1,2 and 3. not as good as the original but then I wasn't 7 when i saw them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is the 30 something generation with the biggest issue about the prequels - mainly because we were kids when the first star wars trilogy came out, and adults when the prequels were released. I mean the Ewok battle on Endor in Return of the Jedi is probably the most embarrassing sequence of action in the entire 6 films made so far! The only truly meaningfully powerful bit of film is when Kirshner gets hold of Empire Strikes Back and has a real look at the souls of the characters and dispenses with too much in your face special effects, massive battles, strange creatures and the like. Funny though, but when I was a kid I thought it was the worst one, and over time it's definitely my favourite!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is the 30 something generation with the biggest issue about the prequels - mainly because we were kids when the first star wars trilogy came out, and adults when the prequels were released. I mean the Ewok battle on Endor in Return of the Jedi is probably the most embarrassing sequence of action in the entire 6 films made so far! The only truly meaningfully powerful bit of film is when Kirshner gets hold of Empire Strikes Back and has a real look at the souls of the characters and dispenses with too much in your face special effects, massive battles, strange creatures and the like. Funny though, but when I was a kid I thought it was the worst one, and over time it's definitely my favourite!

Top post that man, I think you are spot on.

I thought episode three was good n dark, in fact I might go watch it again tonight.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Empire is by a mile the best of the 6 films. Jedi's an odd one - it is the weakest of the originals, but has some of the most memorable lines / moments. Phantom Menace however, is sh*t on so many levels, even if you manage to ignore Jar Jar.

I'm hoping that without Lucas involved in writing, directing or producing the new trilogy, Disney (who have a powerful team behind them) now have freedom to bring in whomever they want to produce something special. All options are open. They own Marvel & Pixar as well. Just think what a Chris Nolan, Joss Weedon or even Wachowski or Gore Verbinski take would look like?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Empire is by a mile the best of the 6 films. Jedi's an odd one - it is the weakest of the originals, but has some of the most memorable lines / moments. Phantom Menace however, is sh*t on so many levels, even if you manage to ignore Jar Jar.
I tend to agree with most of this.

I didn't see episode 3 because episodes 1 and 2 were so shit. As for the originals, Jedi is an awful film IMO, but the first two were both superb.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I tend to agree with most of this.

I didn't see episode 3 because episodes 1 and 2 were so shit. As for the originals, Jedi is an awful film IMO, but the first two were both superb.

They prequels did get better, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

Camicus

Went and saw the prequals in the cinema when Jar jar binks arrived a part of me died. We got up and walked out of the cinema never to return

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
George lucas always said there were nine films

He did say that, but later said that in the end he was able to tell the entire story in 6 films, so there was nothing left to tell.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As an aside, for those of you that missed Fan Boys, great film, very funny, some of these discussions remind me of it big time. Road trip to Lucas's Ranch basically, set just before Ep 1 is due to come out...

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
To be honest I'm pretty pleased. After the hypocritical contradictory shit that was the prequel trilogy we may get something worth watching. The outlines are already there. Although my preference would be the Timothy Zahn - Heir To The Empire trilogy of books

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To be honest I'm pretty pleased. After the hypocritical contradictory shit that was the prequel trilogy we may get something worth watching. The outlines are already there. Although my preference would be the Timothy Zahn - Heir To The Empire trilogy of books

I'd prefer it if they left the EU stuff as it is and started afresh, not tied down by any existing material (although possibly borrowing from some of it). The joy of the original trilogy was that prior to going to the cinema we had no idea what was going to happen. In fact, that was one of the fundamental weaknesses of the Prequels; we all knew where they were headed. Certain things needed to happen, and they had to end up at a point prior to Ep 4, with all the characters in place. It had no surprises in store.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I'd prefer it if they left the EU stuff as it is and started afresh, not tied down by any existing material (although possibly borrowing from some of it). The joy of the original trilogy was that prior to going to the cinema we had no idea what was going to happen. In fact, that was one of the fundamental weaknesses of the Prequels; we all knew where they were headed. Certain things needed to happen, and they had to end up at a point prior to Ep 4, with all the characters in place. It had no surprises in store.

To a degree yes, however the journey to get there was so contradictory that gaping plot hills appeared. Even having to change the original trilogy to try a make it fit. Which it still doesn't.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread, but what exactly are they going to do? Use old Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill etc? Or have youngsters playing their characters?

Just read up on it - Episode 7 is set 40 years later, so pretty much perfect actually.

Oct 25, 2003
w1yq1m.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here