Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone else had this bloody awful bug over Xmas?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Yes, began to feel really rough on the way back from Blackburn and have had it ever since. Christmas Day was spent dosing myself with Sinutab and Solpadiene. One small glass of bubbly with lunch was all the drink I had and I couldn't really taste my lunch. The Thursday night was the worst, when I had a filthy migraine. Nothing would work, so I resorted to Imigram and retired to bed, having to leave half of a rather delicious turkey curry. I'm better now, but still coughing up disgusting mucus.

D

Deleted member 2719

Wife and my 3 year old girl both had flu symptom for the past 2 weeks just starting to feel better now, although they are constantly coughing, she lost over half a stone, which is pretty much most of her body weight!

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Crikey it's a beast. Also started with a small cough then Saturday woke up and was floored. Day 4 and still knocked out, tons of mucus. Cough doesn't hurt anymore.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My symptoms first presented themselves on Xmas Day at 6pm. Sore throat and cough quickly followed by aching limbs , headache , night sweats , yellowy phlegm (its always been yellowy green in the past). It wasn't busy at work on Friday so I gladly volunteered to go home after 90 minutes , struggled to work the whole shift on Sunday and yesterday made it into work but told them I was really feeling unwell and was allowed to take the day as a holiday instead of a sick absence.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Me i had a virus for about a week, and have had severe vertigo since thanks it and the bug that developed somewhere in my inner ear. Missed works Xmas do and everything and still a bit shaky when i walk. Doctor has now asked for a brainscan for me as it's been about 4 weeks of falling over sideways undrunkenly. Sight in and out of focus constantly too.

I got my bug the very day that i had gone to a doctor of occupational health that my work sent me to for being off too many days in a year. I now blame them for this spell.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
:down: Me also, finished work Christmas Eve and started then. Can you believe it I eventually get some time off and I am ill, to make it worse the wife has gone home for the Christmas period. Don't feel like eating, although I am forcing myself.

The worst problem I have is the sweating, everytime I have any drink, hot or cold :down:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just getting over it after three weeks. Usual cold / flu stuff plus earache and dizziness. More than once I have thought I was getting better only to feel even worse the next day.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Yep, my house is full of it. I feel like shite! My 4 year old boy came home from school a few weeks ago and pretty much slept for about four days. Since then everyone else has passed it around to the next unlucky sod in a vicious bloody circle! No sickness with it though,

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Me i had a virus for about a week, and have had severe vertigo since thanks it and the bug that developed somewhere in my inner ear. Missed works Xmas do and everything and still a bit shaky when i walk. Doctor has now asked for a brainscan for me as it's been about 4 weeks of falling over sideways undrunkenly. Sight in and out of focus constantly too.

Snap. This is similar to me. I feel really sorry for you. I had problems with the sight in my left eye the day before the Charlton game but on that Saturday woke up fine but on the train up to London started to feel swimey and when I got to Charing Cross was sick just outside the station. The pharmacist at Boots sent me to Warren Street a&e which took me an age as I was all over the place as if I was drunk. I was diagnosed with Labyrinthitus which is an inner ear infection which gives you severe motion sickness. I went straight home and straight to bed. The next couple of days I was bed ridden but so dizzy and sick I had a doctor out to me twice. They gave me injections to reduce the motion sickness and vomiting but confirmed it was Labyrinthitus. I was given tablets to help me sleep and stop being sick and was starting to pick up leading to Xmas Day during which I had another funny turn. This lead to me being bed ridden through to New Years Eve. I am still taking the pills feel ok around the home but went to Tescos today and felt totally disorientated and out of sorts. That trip exhausted me. I've been signed off until next week and haven't driven now for nearly a month. On top of that my better half has had this flu bug for a week now with no sign of her improving. The worst thing of all is no Albion for more than a month, it's murder.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I came down with it on Sunday evening - not too bad at the moment, sore throat yesterday which feels better today, ears bunged up and one nostril blocked. Sounds like the worst is yet to come though. Good job I took the rest of this week off work.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Mine has developed into jaw ache and my teeth hurt slightly...... Weird....but the phlegm, oh Jesus!! Seen nothing like it. Have to blow my nose at least 4 times to get it all out. Now going down back of throat and onto chest. Been 2 weeks nearly now...... Ffs

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Snap. This is similar to me. I feel really sorry for you. I had problems with the sight in my left eye the day before the Charlton game but on that Saturday woke up fine but on the train up to London started to feel swimey and when I got to Charing Cross was sick just outside the station. The pharmacist at Boots sent me to Warren Street a&e which took me an age as I was all over the place as if I was drunk. I was diagnosed with Labyrinthitus which is an inner ear infection which gives you severe motion sickness. I went straight home and straight to bed. The next couple of days I was bed ridden but so dizzy and sick I had a doctor out to me twice. They gave me injections to reduce the motion sickness and vomiting but confirmed it was Labyrinthitus. I was given tablets to help me sleep and stop being sick and was starting to pick up leading to Xmas Day during which I had another funny turn. This lead to me being bed ridden through to New Years Eve. I am still taking the pills feel ok around the home but went to Tescos today and felt totally disorientated and out of sorts. That trip exhausted me. I've been signed off until next week and haven't driven now for nearly a month. On top of that my better half has had this flu bug for a week now with no sign of her improving. The worst thing of all is no Albion for more than a month, it's murder.

Nuts. A true pig of a virus innit. I think you've had it a tiny bit worse than me. I had a spell of a week of it being at its worst when lying down was just as horrid as standing up, and the side to roll onto just sweeping the wave of pressure into another area of the brain. Horrible stuff. I was telling the doctor it was like a post-mushroom comedown and coming back from the night out wearing two strangers' monocles. But without the fun, of course.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Yeah lasted 3 weeks never had anything like it. Started with a temp burning up and freezing then spasms at night with a chesty cough which i lost my voice. Coughing and sneezing everyday no energy at all and when i started to feel better, the virus would morph and move to another part of my body. Completely lost my appetite as well.

Also i very rarely get ill so this must have been pretty strong.

Last edited:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Bug started for me the week before Christmas. Started as a bit of a cold then stared to feel better. Then came back with vengeance the day of my staff Xmas party on the 21st. Had a good time but sat shivering and aching during the meal and left early about 10pm when everyone was getting pissed up and dancing. I never go to bed when I'm Ill but i felt so shite, I spent the whole weekend before Xmas in bed. Like the o.p I lost my appetite as well but thank god I got it back and my sense of taste for the Christmas roast dinner

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Phlegm, phlegm, phlegm. Everything tastes of phlegm. Finished my Benilyn cough medicine, but still dry, hacking cough, for more than a week now though Tunes help. The cold itself has been with me for about a fortnight, improved, then worsened again. Slight tummy and action t'other end. No energy and lots of headaches.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
started 21st had painful ear ache for a few days and just feel generally shite, still got no hearing in 1 ear

Exactly the same as me... Started off with cold shivers and lump in throat about 3 weeks ago, progressed into ear ache in 1 ear, 3 weeks on still no hearing in 1 ear and still feel like shite! Very rarely get ill either ???

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Yeah lasted 3 weeks never had anything like it. Started with a temp burning up and freezing then spasms at night with a chesty cough which i lost my voice. Coughing and sneezing everyday no energy at all and when i started to feel better, the virus would morph and move to another part of my body. Completely lost my appetite as well.

Also i very rarely get ill so this must have been pretty strong.

Exactly how I feel and have done since boxing day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here