Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ross Barkley - released.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
He’s not played for England since 2019, so it’s unlikely.

Nothing would be surprising with Southgate in charge.

Barkley had some potential about 10 years ago and he never developed, if he spent an early part of his career with Potter he could have developed into a tasty player. Not now, too late for him now.

He will end up in the lower leagues or end up back at Everton. Ultimately he has wasted his career like Jack Rodwell and Kalvin Phillips. They all chased the money.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do other nations have these sorts of “generational talents” who turn out to be shite?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Reminds me of the Welbeck thread this - therefore I’m IN :thumbsup:

He was once one of the brightest midfield English talents around. Then so was Ravel Morrison… I’ll trust the club if they did go for him - but Villa didn’t seem to want him back and we’re better than them currently… oh **** I’ve just talked myself out of it.. FFS

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Tread carefully. There will be a reason he has been released.

Why have Everton loaned Dele Alli to Besiktas?

Two England players who should be in their prime, but both careers have gone bad. Is it attitude?

Fair enough.

I hope he gets sorted, but it might end up a bit Debbie for him. Sad really.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rangers apparantly interested - career-wise it could be a good move fr him (as would a move to the Albion, probably) but Rangers sure as hell ain't going to pay him the £200K a week he was apparantly on at Chelsea.
Mind you, after four years on that sort of money, perhaps he just can't give a shit about working for a living ever again!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thought BG was back with us for a moment

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
If anyone can get the best out of him, it would be Potter. There's obviously a lot going on with Barkley, the persistent injuries through his career have definitely affected him mentally.

If the wages are right, IMO he would be a good addition

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I was delighted when we brought in Bridge, Upson, Lallana & Welbeck, however Ross Barkley is vastly overrated and would add very little to our squad.

Given a choice I’d rather have previously suggested Juan Mata at 35 than him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When I heard the news about the release I wondered how long it would take before a thread like this appeared.

Me too - but I naturally thought ‘could he do a job for us?’ - I reckon if you looked there’s probably 25 clubs in Britain with similar threads on their message boards this evening though!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ross Barclay had a bit of everything but not enough of something

I’m happy with that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Me too - but I naturally thought ‘could he do a job for us?’ - I reckon if you looked there’s probably 25 clubs in Britain with similar threads on their message boards this evening though!
TT played him quite often last season if I remember and actually thought he played well. He’s definitely not shit or worse than some we already have.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here