**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I mentioned in March the Burton (upon Trent) Ale Trail. Well they've just had another over the weekend of 1st to 4th September. 15 independent pubs with no brewery ties, although four are owned by or are micro breweries, all within walking distance. Many many beers served just as they should be, straight from the barrel. The breweries also brew a special ale for the event. Guaranteed to be at least 50 ales you've never tried before as a southerner. Next one due March 2023.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sadly inevitable but Asahi closing down Dark Stars brewery at Partridge Green.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Shame about Dark Star but seems inevitable. The recipes will be changed soon if they haven't already, still like Hophead but everything else seems a bit poor that I've had recently

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder if The Evening Star will continue to stock their beers?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting reading the first page of this thread again, over ten years old. Lots of dispute on what constitutes "craft". These days it's ubiquitous, even Tesco Boundary Road stocking a good range, including Northern Monk Death Star III and four packs of Neck Oil.

Unfortunately this makes the competition much harder and Asahi will have taken a purely commercial decision. Sad that local jobs may be in danger and that Hophead, which I preferred when they sold it at the Amex to Harvey's will lose it's local connection forever. But I doubt many will miss Hophead the beer if it was to stop being produced. There's just so much choice these days.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Quite enjoying Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
sierra-nevada-pale-ale.jpg

But if you want something quite remarkable, try this
large_6236_Little-Creatures-Pale-Ale1.jpg
I do a bit of maintenance on their trading estate and would often pick up the odd Sunburst or whatever….when I was there. APA back in the day was the very best beer in England imo……it’s not now but it really was.

Last edited:

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Sad that local jobs may be in danger and that Hophead, which I preferred when they sold it at the Amex to Harvey's will lose it's local connection forever. But I doubt many will miss Hophead the beer if it was to stop being produced. There's just so much choice these days.
Hophead has changed since those halcyon days, become a less hoppy Brew but still better than Harvey's, Certainly the small barrels from the back wall suited it as it was much more consistent than the WSU Harvey offerering.

However I would certainly miss Revelation if it was lost.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Looking forward to my annual trip to Docks Beers in Grimsby*. A thriving independent Craft Brewery - not a great deal of competition up there mind.
(*I meant looking forward to my annual trip to see the in-laws)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I do a bit of maintenance on their trading estate and would often pick up the odd Sunburst or whatever….when I was there. APA back in the day was the very best beer in England imo……it’s not now but it really was.
APA ? It was exceptional. Unfortunately not a session beer, as I discovered on a few occasions.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Interesting reading the first page of this thread again, over ten years old. Lots of dispute on what constitutes "craft". These days it's ubiquitous, even Tesco Boundary Road stocking a good range, including Northern Monk Death Star III and four packs of Neck Oil.

Unfortunately this makes the competition much harder and Asahi will have taken a purely commercial decision. Sad that local jobs may be in danger and that Hophead, which I preferred when they sold it at the Amex to Harvey's will lose it's local connection forever. But I doubt many will miss Hophead the beer if it was to stop being produced. There's just so much choice these days.
Not sure Neck Oil is still "craft", Beavertown (founded by Logan Plant, Robert's son) recently sold out his remaining 51% shareholding to Heineken, the world's second largest beer company! Don't know how much they paid for the 51%, but Heineken paid areound £40m for a 49% stake a few years ago, so Logan did very nicely out of the deal!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure Neck Oil is still "craft", Beavertown (founded by Logan Plant, Robert's son) recently sold out his remaining 51% shareholding to Heineken, the world's second largest beer company! Don't know how much they paid for the 51%, but Heineken paid areound £40m for a 49% stake a few years ago, so Logan did very nicely out of the deal!
It's craft in taste, as opposed to being a lager or real ale, but, yeah, being on tap at Spurs' ground, having nationwide distribution deals and being owned by Heineken isn't exactly brewing in a warehouse.

My favourite current crafts are sold in what is exactly a former warehouse, brewed on site called Ground Zero. Unfortunately it's located in Bucharest, round the corner from my company's development centre so I only get it two or three times a year. It's certainly not in the local Tesco.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sadly inevitable but Asahi closing down Dark Stars brewery at Partridge Green.

As one of the Quality Managers at Asahi I can give a little more info.

The partridge Green site was always time limited as the premises are leased. The production of Hophead was moved to Chiswick a few years ago. This enables greater production but is 100% the same recipe and retains it's unique yeast strain.

Moving the remaining production to Meantime makes business sense as the site is owned and has been expanded for storage facilities. The two brands will be kept apart within the brewery and keep their distinct identities. It will allow the business to keep their "craft" offering under one roof.

Hophead will I believe become the go to ale in the portfolio bettering London Pride.

Always a shame when a brewery shuts but in truth Dark Star as a brewery did move away from Brighton some years ago to Ansty before moving to PG.

I will endeavour in all the meetings I attend to keep it's history in the forefront of people's mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports