Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My friend, who works in the NHS and is in the vaccines sector, told me. I don't post rumours.

Not sure why uve bothered to post that last bit….you will understand that opinions often differ within the scientific community .. ive read enough to see that it’s still open for debate..oh and I’ve a few ‘medical’ friends too..good isn’t it

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure why uve bothered to post that last bit….you will understand that opinions often differ within the scientific community .. ive read enough to see that it’s still open for debate..oh and I’ve a few ‘medical’ friends too..good isn’t it

It isn't an opinion.

Never mind, no point in debating.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am absolutely sure there will be an increase in infections once schools and universities go back but not sure I would call it a wave. More of a butter knife than a spike, perhaps?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I'm not disputing the efficacy of mask wearing, I'm just saying it isn't at all necessary at the moment and probably never will be again.

If anything we want cases to be higher now, rather than flu season, to put us in the best possible position when it does happen... and that includes cases of flu itself.

A vast, vast majority of the 130,000 dead you mention died when the pandemic was still a crisis. We are in a different place now.

It's not that I lack empathy for those that will die this year, next year and every year for the rest of time through covid - but sadly, pathogens, and death, is part of life and something will kill us all in the end, including myself and everyone else that matters to me.

It's time to ditch the masks and move on.

I understand all too well that people die of "bugs" (your quote) and stand by my earlier assertion that you are an insensitive tw@t who has no understanding of how people, who aren't like you, feel...

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Fair enough. I'm not going to argue any assertions you might make about strangers on the internet.

But I do understand that people, who aren't like me, have an irrational fear of covid that has been a result of a year and a half of the pandemic consuming every aspect of their lives... and that needs to change now. There is no reason why people, especially young people, need to live in fear. Older and vulnerable people are now well protected, as long as they keep up with their vaccinations.

TBF a lot of people have been working from home getting food delivered and watching and reading the doom filled news…some of us have worked every day been going out as normal and mixing with friends, I personally have no fear of Covid but I know some who work in closed offices and have WFH for 18 months and truly believe it’s dangerous out in the real world.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TBF a lot of people have been working from home getting food delivered and watching and reading the doom filled news…some of us have worked every day been going out as normal and mixing with friends, I personally have no fear of Covid but I know some who work in closed offices and have WFH for 18 months and truly believe it’s dangerous out in the real world.

For me, one of the sadder sights when I'm out and about is seeing some old biddy out walking their dog early in the morning. They're out in the fresh air, there's barely a soul within a couple of hundred metres of them... and still they're wearing a mask. That's how deeply the constant bombardment of media covid frenzy has affected them. How on earth do you even begin to get back to any semblance of normality from that point?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Fair enough. I'm not going to argue any assertions you might make about strangers on the internet.

But I do understand that people, who aren't like me, have an irrational fear of covid that has been a result of a year and a half of the pandemic consuming every aspect of their lives... and that needs to change now. There is no reason why people, especially young people, need to live in fear. Older and vulnerable people are now well protected, as long as they keep up with their vaccinations.

There you go again. You're right everyone else is wrong, no middle ground, no empathy!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

I don't know, all these irrational people... Fancy fearing for their lives, stupid, stupid people!

https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/coronavirus-covid-19/

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I don't know, all these irrational people... Fancy fearing for their lives, stupid, stupid people!

https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/coronavirus-covid-19/
I think that's pretty much the point, isn't it? That link shows that people with blood cancer need to be afraid, very afraid, of coronavirus. But people who haven't got blood cancer (or similar dread diseases) do not need to be afraid as if they had.

It isn't necessarily irrational to be afraid of coronavirus, however slight the risks. Just as it's not irrational to be afraid of being struck by lightning, or of getting blood cancer, or being hit by a car, or catching flu.

Where it becomes irrational is in how we react to the risk. There are people who are taking extra care of their children by holding them back from school, for example, or keeping them away from crowds or various other specific precautions. This is because they fear the child might die. And of course they might. So far in this entire pandemic, 14 children have died with coronavirus mentioned on their death certificate. I don't have figures as to how many are already in critical or terminal illness.

Is 14 enough to make special precautions? Maybe. But where were those precautions the winter before last when coronavirus had not been heard of and flu was around? An average of 133 children per year die of flu. 27 of them are to all prior knowledge in perfect health. Irrationality isn't in taking special precautions for your child when coronavirus is around; it's in taking extra precautions for coronavirus when you don't take them for more dangerous diseases.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I think that's pretty much the point, isn't it? That link shows that people with blood cancer need to be afraid, very afraid, of coronavirus. But people who haven't got blood cancer (or similar dread diseases) do not need to be afraid as if they had.

It isn't necessarily irrational to be afraid of coronavirus, however slight the risks. Just as it's not irrational to be afraid of being struck by lightning, or of getting blood cancer, or being hit by a car, or catching flu.

Where it becomes irrational is in how we react to the risk. There are people who are taking extra care of their children by holding them back from school, for example, or keeping them away from crowds or various other specific precautions. This is because they fear the child might die. And of course they might. So far in this entire pandemic, 14 children have died with coronavirus mentioned on their death certificate. I don't have figures as to how many are already in critical or terminal illness.

Is 14 enough to make special precautions? Maybe. But where were those precautions the winter before last when coronavirus had not been heard of and flu was around? An average of 133 children per year die of flu. 27 of them are to all prior knowledge in perfect health. Irrationality isn't in taking special precautions for your child when coronavirus is around; it's in taking extra precautions for coronavirus when you don't take them for more dangerous diseases.

I fully understand and empathise with what you are saying, if only [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] could use the sort of language and logic that you did, rather than just chucking out glib comments with apparently little or no thought behind them.

To be honest I should know better as this is someone who believes he is doing the government a favour, by not having the vaccine.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am absolutely sure there will be an increase in infections once schools and universities go back but not sure I would call it a wave. More of a butter knife than a spike, perhaps?

Schools have already gone back in Scotland and a few have already closed again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not disputing the efficacy of mask wearing, I'm just saying it isn't at all necessary at the moment and probably never will be again.

If anything we want cases to be higher now, rather than flu season, to put us in the best possible position when it does happen... and that includes cases of flu itself.

A vast, vast majority of the 130,000 dead you mention died when the pandemic was still a crisis. We are in a different place now.

It's not that I lack empathy for those that will die this year, next year and every year for the rest of time through covid - but sadly, pathogens, and death, is part of life and something will kill us all in the end, including myself and everyone else that matters to me.

It's time to ditch the masks and move on.

You still don’t understand the reason for masks.
If you had to have an operation at any time in the future, you will be glad theatre staff wear masks. Noses and mouths harbour ‘bugs’. All sorts of bugs, that don’t affect the person, but can transmit to others.

It’s not about protectION but protectING.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is hysteria.

You're making the comparison of SURGERY to walking around public spaces in our daily lives? It's insanity.

I'm sure you're aware, even a small cut, can result in infection or even death, if one of many types of bacteria contacts. So it should be obvious why surgeons wear masks?

We do not need this level of protection in our daily lives.

We have a population that is either vaccinated, or young. We just don't need masks anymore. We need regular exposure to bugs to keep our immune systems up to it.

Of course, I am aware of the dangers of tetanus, and sepsis. As I said before, you are very patronising.

There is a happy medium between your blasé ‘life is a risk’ and paranoia which you choose to call hysteria.
There are people who cannot be vaccinated due to health conditions. Why should they be isolated for life, because some people don’t like masks? Diseases come & go, like Spanish, Asian and Hong Kong viruses. They either mutate so weaken or die out.

In the meantime, I will do whatever I can to protect others.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think we're at the point where we should just agree to disagree on this issue.

Although I feel for the people who at risk and are unable to be vaccinated - it is going to be a risk to these people for the rest of time - and it's certainly not the only illness they at risk from either.

If you are waiting for covid to go away before you ditch the mask, then you'll be waiting a very, very long time. I respect your intentions, but it is ultimately a futile exercise now.

This doctor, posted just an hour ago. There are ten posts in all, outlining the present situation. Look at the map of GB, in his 5th post, and see the high spot in Brighton.

[tweet]1428970205431144452[/tweet]

Waiting a long time? Epidemics usually last around 2-3 years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A mass ignoring of the rule on a packed NS concourse (people without food or drink).

Early doors I realised that it was me and one another bloke wearing them, so I ditched the thing.

On the park n ride going, most people wore them, but none of the young adults. Coming home, half the passengers didn’t bother.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Being scared of Covid is far from irrational and if someone feels safer wearing a mask when walking their dog then leave them to it and allow them to return to normal at their own pace.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I don't think that will happen south of the border unless the school's themselves mutiny an do it.

Surely there will come a time when the powers that be realise that the education of children is vital? Not just a good idea if convenient; not just important; it is vital. They must insist on a first principle that schools work as normal and the rest of us must work around that if need be.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
mask r.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A mass ignoring of the rule on a packed NS concourse (people without food or drink).

Early doors I realised that it was me and one another bloke wearing them, so I ditched the thing.

On the park n ride going, most people wore them, but none of the young adults. Coming home, half the passengers didn’t bother.

That's sad to read. I find the wholesale abandonment of mask-wearing in and around the Amex really quite concerning. It's like Covid never happened. Maybe 1 in 100 of the folks piling off the packed trains wearing a mask. Doubtless the same ON the trains. Wall-to-wall mask-free shouty conversations on the concourses. Just seems like a superspreader event waiting to happen frankly. In an ideal world there would be strong messaging put out to get a lateral flow test both before games and a few days after games, whether you're vaccinated or whether you're not. But sadly such a message would doubtless fall on deaf ears

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here