Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That’s between me and a website

If you don’t wear a mask then how do you know if you aren’t a carrier? I’m not being nosey, but tests are vital.

I know you work outside, so it’s not so vital, but if you’re inside and asymptomatic then wearing a mask protects others.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry if you felt patronised, it wasn't intended that way. I was just making the comparison of crossing the road/walking down stairs as an example of how remote of a risk covid was to the young, so you needn't worry about your grandson.

The vast majority of the UK is already vaccinated. The rest are steadily gaining natural immunisation. Those who are vaccinated are having their immunities reinforced through regular exposure to the virus. Masks are completely unnecessary to the point of being obstructive towards our ultimate goals. The public being exposed to covid is no longer a bad thing, as we approach flu season.

My grandson hasn’t been offered a vaccination yet. I was upset when I found out he had been to the festival because he was coming to football with us this weekend. At his age, I don’t blame him for going, as it’s natural. As I said, he was hospitalised twice when he was younger with asthma.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

If you don’t wear a mask then how do you know if you aren’t a carrier? I’m not being nosey, but tests are vital.

I know you work outside, so it’s not so vital, but if you’re inside and asymptomatic then wearing a mask protects others.

I don’t take you as a nosey person ..so no worries on that score, but the answer remains the same :)… we have different views on how effective masks are …..you have yours I have mine…we both have a choice which is fine by me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That backs up what I'm saying. The cheap masks only stop coughs, they don't stop the aerosols that come out when air is expelled. They aren't protecting the wearer or people around them from aerosol transmission.

The aerosols are stopped by properly fitted FFP3 masks, this is what they're wearing on the covid wards and they are there to protect the wearer.

Why do medical staff wear masks when doing medical procedures? It’s to stop them infecting you.
Vets wear masks when operating on animals.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Absolute disgrace in a packed enclosed space that so many MPs who should be leading by example as we enter our 4th wave, go mask less. Never have our MPs been held in so much contempt by their people.

4th wave? Really?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
4th wave? Really?

Very much so, cases are rising and that is with the benefits of the summer holidays, now children have begun going back in Scotland and their English counterparts follow over the coming weeks follows by University students and workplaces and then the onset of Autumn cases will go one way and quickly. If you look at the vaccination programme now there is not a great deal extra it will benefit us now, the vast majority of those who want it have now been double vaccinated, so there is little further upside. The only way to further control cases and avoid a significant 4th wave is by reintroducing mandatory face masks in all settings indoors and loon at reintroducing other measures from earlier in the year before it's too late and we repeat the mistakes of last Autumn.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very much so, cases are rising and that is with the benefits of the summer holidays, now children have begun going back in Scotland and their English counterparts follow over the coming weeks follows by University students and workplaces and then the onset of Autumn cases will go one way and quickly. If you look at the vaccination programme now there is not a great deal extra it will benefit us now, the vast majority of those who want it have now been double vaccinated, so there is little further upside. The only way to further control cases and avoid a significant 4th wave is by reintroducing mandatory face masks in all settings indoors and loon at reintroducing other measures from earlier in the year before it's too late and we repeat the mistakes of last Autumn.

No thank you. I think that you’re probably mistaken but back in Jan ‘20 I thought this was a lot of fuss about nothing so I’m just as likely to be wrong now.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If double vaccination hasn't helped, or at least hasn't helped enough, then are you proposing that we stay in permanent lockdown until we all die of something else? Specifically, once amateur sport and gymnasiums and swimming pools have been shut again as you suggest, will they ever reopen? And will the public health benefit of stopping covid by ensuring everyone stays indoors and takes no exercise, be worth it?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If double vaccination hasn't helped, or at least hasn't helped enough, then are you proposing that we stay in permanent lockdown until we all die of something else? Specifically, once amateur sport and gymnasiums and swimming pools have been shut again as you suggest, will they ever reopen? And will the public health benefit of stopping covid by ensuring everyone stays indoors and takes no exercise, be worth it?

I never proposed a lockdown, although if our incompetent government sticks it's fingers in its ears singing la, la, la as cases and hospitalisations continue to increase it may wel end up on another full lockdown. I am merely advocating by reintroducing skme restrictions soon before we get to that stage we can certainly get through what looks to be a very troubling winter without lockdown.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I never proposed a lockdown, although if our incompetent government sticks it's fingers in its ears singing la, la, la as cases and hospitalisations continue to increase it may wel end up on another full lockdown. I am merely advocating by reintroducing skme restrictions soon before we get to that stage we can certainly get through what looks to be a very troubling winter without lockdown.
I have a counter proposal. Since most of the deaths are people who have chosen not to have the vaccine, why don't we tell people that there is a virus circulating that will likely kill them if they don't get vaccinated, and let them take the vaccine or take their chance?

It will be cheaper for the economy than paying people to stay off work, but it will at least improve the average intelligence of the nation, and it won't disadvantage the people who chose the vaccine in expectation that it would improve their quality of life. I understand it will be a pain for the doctors and nurses having to treat these people, but there's a limit to what we can do about that.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Christ are people in the UK (and the US etc.) STILL whining like little bitches about wearing a mask?? It's ****ing pathetic.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I don't mean to appear unsympathetic as I know you're worried, but there really is no need to be. Under 18's EVEN with underlying health issues are at such little risk of covid complications that they carry out considerably more risky activities every day - such as walking down stairs or crossing roads.

Being exposed to bugs is natural and healthy and important for the immune system. Your 17 year old grandson will be poorly at the moment, just as he would be with other bugs, but he will now have gained a strong immune response to covid in the future... which is great for him and great for society.

At a festival, it is possible more than one person passed the virus to him. This would have likely happened even if everyone was wearing masks, given that he is attending a possible super spreader event. So either it was deeply irresponsible for him to attend if he genuinely is vulnerable, or the more likely scenario is that it doesn't really matter that he has caught covid, aside from being poorly for a few days.

Either way - should we wear masks in all public spaces for the rest of time - or should we accept again that bugs exist and people will get poorly from time to time?

I’m not sure the 130000 dead will agree with your last sentence.

While we are all entitled to our views on the efficacy of mask wearing your lack of empathy shines through like a beacon.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There is a booster in the offing, to be given this autumn.

Even catching covid only gives six months immunity, so vaccinations are the way to go, especially with mutations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here