[Cricket] LV County Championship Division Three - Worcestershire v Sussex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Meandering towards a draw, sadly.

If they get the full allocation of overs (allegedly min 16 to go), the 88 required means 5.5 per over. Not out of the question...

They've gone off early for bad light before in the match, so I would imagine that will come to the rescue if Worcs to decide to have a go. Might be the best thing for Sussex if they do - lose a couple of wickets and it'll look dicey for them!

EDIT: P.s. 22 runs off the last 4 overs = exactly 5.5 per over. If these two set batsmen hang around, it could well be close!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
48 runs required - 9 overs left :eek:
5.3 per over

Update: 285/4 - 30 required from 7.2 overs :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Very disappointing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex cocked it up this morning. Ibrahim could have taken a few more overs of batting and got his century. It was a good batting track and Sussex had a very inexperienced bowling attack - they needed to set a more challenging target.

Yet again, we lose after a decent first innings lead - it's a real problem that should be addressed.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
We're so bad. Was thinking we might end up in minor counties in a few years but even at that level we'd struggle. Feel sorry for anyone buying one of the new flats near the ground entry, few years time the ground will just be more flats

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We're so bad. Was thinking we might end up in minor counties in a few years but even at that level we'd struggle. Feel sorry for anyone buying one of the new flats near the ground entry, few years time the ground will just be more flats

More flats or another “re wilded” mess. God forbid!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

We're not so bad. Don't forget that this is pretty much an U-19 team and took a CC team to the final session. What they lack is some game management: no team should lose so many games after establishing first innings leads.

Today was a case in point. We asked Worcs to get 315 at 4 an over - a stiff ask but not outlandish. But it was a good batting track and the Sussex bowling attack was very inexperienced - only two bowlers had grabbed five-fers in their careers. Who was going to bowl them out?

Sussex went crazy at the end of the innings, trying to push quick runs - they could have taken four or five more overs and added a dozen more - 325 off 70 would have been more of a challenge.

I'm not sure that Haines is the right captain: he's made a heap of runs this year so why burden him? I'd have told CJ to forget about resting before the Blast, captain this lot and provide a bit of know-how.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We're not so bad. Don't forget that this is pretty much an U-19 team and took a CC team to the final session. What they lack is some game management: no team should lose so many games after establishing first innings leads.

Today was a case in point. We asked Worcs to get 315 at 4 an over - a stiff ask but not outlandish. But it was a good batting track and the Sussex bowling attack was very inexperienced - only two bowlers had grabbed five-fers in their careers. Who was going to bowl them out?

Sussex went crazy at the end of the innings, trying to push quick runs - they could have taken four or five more overs and added a dozen more - 325 off 70 would have been more of a challenge.

I'm not sure that Haines is the right captain: he's made a heap of runs this year so why burden him? I'd have told CJ to forget about resting before the Blast, captain this lot and provide a bit of know-how.

It felt like an odd decision to appoint haines as captain.
Aside from anything else He has only fairly recently established himself as a first team definite.
There have been a few occasions when Haines has looked out of his depth as a leader.
I notice he has only been made captain on an interim basis and am hoping that is because there’s a new player/captain in the wings.
Haines as permanent captain would be a poor decision for him and the club IMO

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Having moaned about cautious declarations being such a frustration in modern professional cricket (when every good villager knows that you should dangle the carrot and avoid bore draws...) I'm not going to say that Sussex were too cavalier asking Worcestershire to make the highest score of the match (300+) on the fourth afternoon... Ibrahim was obviously instructed by the coach/captain to hit out rather than chew up more overs.

The radio commentators said repeatedly during the earlier part of the innings it was a shame that Sussex were being so defensive and that Worcestershire couldn't be expected to chase so many - they were completely wrong of course but it shows the issue, as always, was not black and white.

Lots of positives for Sussex from this match.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The radio commentators said repeatedly during the earlier part of the innings it was a shame that Sussex were being so defensive and that Worcestershire couldn't be expected to chase so many - they were completely wrong of course but it shows the issue, as always, was not black and white.

Well, I said at about 12 that Ibrahim should take his time and push for the runs, it was obvious to me that 300+ runs on a good pitch against a callow attack was not impossible. That's the point I was making: yes, if the Sussex attack had Robinson, Archer and Jordan then 300 would be out of the question but that wasn't the case. There was little sense of game management

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Well, I said at about 12 that Ibrahim should take his time and push for the runs, it was obvious to me that 300+ runs on a good pitch against a callow attack was not impossible. That's the point I was making: yes, if the Sussex attack had Robinson, Archer and Jordan then 300 would be out of the question but that wasn't the case. There was little sense of game management

Sussex wanted a crack at being the youngest ever side to win a County Championship match. I’m happy that they knowingly made a marginally positive declaration and hope it is a continued policy.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So...... the kids weren't alright.

I'm sorry, I don't want to be one of those 'fans' who says "we're rubbish" and is secretly pleased when we lose just so they can come out of the woodwork and say "I told you so!" I'm not pleased at all, I'm gutted that we've come down to the level where the first XI is a load of schoolboys. Talented and promising yes, but not good enough at the moment to represent the county en masse. If this is some brave experiment and not a sign that Sussex have given up on the 1st class game then it needs to stop now.

Fair play to all those of you who are taking the positives from this and think it bodes well for the future, I really do hope you're right. I'm scared that this IS the future and we'll always play the kids, coach and develop them - and then watch them join a proper 1st class county.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex wanted a crack at being the youngest ever side to win a County Championship match. I’m happy that they knowingly made a marginally positive declaration and hope it is a continued policy.

So...... the kids weren't alright.

No, the kids are still all right. I'm happy with the idea of playing loads of kids and developing them - this was a great effort by them. What I think is that they need an experienced captain - 10 kids and an established player would still have been the youngest team to win a CC match. It's too much pressure on Haines to lead, let him concentrate on his batting and let someone else have the strain of captaincy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports