Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Lake District - Peak District - Snowdonia - which to choose?

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
All are good. To my mind Lake District has become too expensive but I've been many times. I'm guessing you are a hiker. There are certainly enough classic hikes in Peak District as well to keep you going - much better value. I've stayed in Betys y Coed which is a good base for Snowdonia

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
All are good. To my mind Lake District has become too expensive but I've been many times. I'm guessing you are a hiker. There are certainly enough classic hikes in Peak District as well to keep you going - much better value. I've stayed in Betys y Coed which is a good base for Snowdonia
"World Heritage Site" doncha know. Accommodation prices went up overnight when that was announced.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Live just outside the Peak District, been to the Lake District quite a few times and Snowdonia a couple.

Lake District is definitely best for a week break IMO, although only ever been outside peak times. Went in June last year (Ullswater) and it was brilliant.

Peak District is lovely, but more of weekend jaunt only.

Snowdonia was OK, but I'll not be rushing back.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Love them all so for me a hard choice. Went to the dales last year.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Live just outside the Peak District, been to the Lake District quite a few times and Snowdonia a couple.

Lake District is definitely best for a week break IMO, although only ever been outside peak times. Went in June last year (Ullswater) and it was brilliant.

Peak District is lovely, but more of weekend jaunt only.

Snowdonia was OK, but I'll not be rushing back.
Lake District is probably edging it for us.
Just looking to get away from it all, do some walking, visit local pubs and villages.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Lake District - Peak District - Snowdonia - which to choose ?

I'd probably choose Steele and Lallana . (Sorry bad mood).

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
As a kid we spent loads of time in the Yorkshire dales and it is also amazing.

I loved buttermere in the lakes. Also coniston and hired a boat to go out to swallows and amazons Island reliving my childhood.

Last edited:

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
My wife comes from East Lancashire, and we've been to the Lakes and Snowdonia many times. I've never been to the Peak District. As others have said, in high season, the tourists are a real problem.

Lakes - avoid Windermere and Grasmere. Head for Bassenthwaite and Thirlmere instead.
Alternative - try the Howgill Fells - near Sedburgh. They are nearly as high, but come with a fraction of the tourists (and therefore few shops, pubs or places to stay).

Good luck and enjoy !
If you know East Lancs then the Forest of Bowland is one of the most beautiful parts of the country.. but fortunately not many people know that!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yorkshire has been mentioned but is yet another place unknown to us
The Peak District's lovely, I lived in Sheffield for about 6 years so used to be able to walk there from my front door.

If you're looking for somewhere quieter, I'd definitely recommend the Dales over the Peak District. Being between Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds, it does get busy on a nice day.

In a similar vein, Teesdale and the North Pennines in general are lovely.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The Peak District's lovely, I lived in Sheffield for about 6 years so used to be able to walk there from my front door.

If you're looking for somewhere quieter, I'd definitely recommend the Dales over the Peak District. Being between Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds, it does get busy on a nice day.

In a similar vein, Teesdale and the North Pennines in general are lovely.
We used to go to swaledale - small village called Reeth. Beautiful place.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I rented a lovely cottage in Grassmere - In February it was a fairly quiet village but would personally avoid most ‘walking’ places in the UK, including the Lake district like the plague in summer unless you don’t mind a human crocodile of people clambering along every footpath at every elevation.

Rented a cottage in Snowdonia many many years ago - again in February when the whole of Snowdonia was snowed in - very cold and we got stuck on the mountain and had to be rescued - no heating in the cottage (but good bovril ) lovely and devoid of people :lol:- again though wouldn’t recommend Snowden in the summer unless you like walking in single file in a continuous line behind everyone else.

I spent a week in Silverdale near Carnforth combining a holiday with house hunting once - plenty to do - not too crowded - easy to visit places along the coast using the coastal train. Lots of nature reserves, including Leighton Moss RSPB flagship reserve. Potted shrimps are amazing. Weather always mild. Fantastic vistas across Morcambe Bay.

Great Golf course.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
If you know East Lancs then the Forest of Bowland is one of the most beautiful parts of the country.. but fortunately not many people know that!
The Forest of Bowland is a real gem. Much of it is untouched north of the Trough on the old road to Lancaster. Another favourite is Pendle Hill. Climb up the northern escarpment (you need to be fit) and on a clear day, you can see the three peaks of Pen-y-Ghent, Ingleborough and Whernside in the distance. Magical. There's nothing down south that comes close.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I spent a week in Silverdale near Carnforth combining a holiday with house hunting once - plenty to do - not too crowded - easy to visit places along the coast using the coastal train. Lots of nature reserves, including Leighton Moss RSPB flagship reserve. Potted shrimps are amazing. Weather always mild. Fantastic vistas across Morcambe Bay.
I stayed in Silverdale for four nights a few years ago. Two minutes walk around the corner, and through my binoculars across the bay I could see my own chimney!

I spent the longest day there, and from where I was staying, I was a few minutes walk from both sunrise and sunset.

1716156563712.png

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I expect you have all heard how dangerous Morecambe Bay can be, with stories of cockle pickers drowning in the incoming tides. Well it can be lethal to locals as well.
I stayed in Silverdale for four nights a few years ago. Two minutes walk around the corner, and through my binoculars across the bay I could see my own chimney!

I spent the longest day there, and from where I was staying, I was a few minutes walk from both sunrise and sunset.

View attachment 182642
Lovely photos. As a local, you might want to mention the real dangers of Morecambe Bay though. I've read that story of the father and son.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here