Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Lake District - Peak District - Snowdonia - which to choose?

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Peak District and the Derbyshire Dales get my vote. I did Mark Reid's 'Inn Way' walk there and the scenery was stunning. Also tends to be less touristy than the Lakes, accommodation is cheaper and there are some fabulous pubs to visit.

If you head that way and you enjoy pubs, do try 'The Flying Childers' at Stanton in Peak. About five miles from Bakewell. Like stepping back in time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I expect you have all heard how dangerous Morecambe Bay can be, with stories of cockle pickers drowning in the incoming tides. Well it can be lethal to locals as well.

Lovely photos. As a local, you might want to mention the real dangers of Morecambe Bay though. I've read that story of the father and son.
Yes indeed - quite simply, don't venture out onto the sands unless you know exactly what you are doing or are with a guide.

The father and son - was that the one where he was on his mobile phone talking to his wife with his son on his shoulders in the fog only around 50m from shore - but couldn't work out how to get back / which way to safety. The sea rose as he was talking, and the phone cut out. Awful.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I rented a lovely cottage in Grassmere - In February it was a fairly quiet village but would personally avoid most ‘walking’ places in the UK, including the Lake district like the plague in summer unless you don’t mind a human crocodile of people clambering along every footpath at every elevation.
Going up Cat Bells last month, if you looked up ahead of you it was like the bottleneck at the Hilary Step, the amount of people snaking up to the top...in April! Alfred Wainwright would have had kittens.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Going up Cat Bells last month, if you looked up ahead of you it was like the bottleneck at the Hilary Step, the amount of people snaking up to the top...in April! Alfred Wainwright would have had kittens.
Perhaps he shouldn’t have written all those books telling everyone how beautiful it is and how to get there 🤣

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Depends on what your interests are: walking - all 3 though I would go for Lakes as there are superb fell and low level walks; other activities: Snowdonia has several inland lakes and decent coast not too far away; historical interest: Peaks as it has the industrial history, Chatsworth and the like. wet weather: Peaks all day long as you can 'escape' to Manchester, Sheffield and resort towns such as Matlock and Buxton.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All are good. To my mind Lake District has become too expensive but I've been many times. I'm guessing you are a hiker. There are certainly enough classic hikes in Peak District as well to keep you going - much better value. I've stayed in Betys y Coed which is a good base for Snowdonia
Especially now the miners bridge has been rebuilt!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was in Threlkeld two years ago, first trip to the lakes and loved it. Have done Snowdonia quite a few times, mainly because of family in Conwy and also love the west country (heading there in July).

As for Windermere, look out for the effluent!!!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If this tempts you - My lunch spot, a two minute stroll from the office.

1716401954205.png

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Went to the Peak District in 2020 and it was cracking. Went to the Yorkshire Dales in 2021 (staying in Hawes) and it absolutely blew us away. The scenery there is another notch up the scale in my opinion. Highly recommend it.

Haven't been to the Lakes since I was a kid, and never seen Snowdonia so can't help with those.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here