Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Lake District - Peak District - Snowdonia - which to choose?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Looking to get away with my wife for a week in June. We always go to West Cornwall (my favourite place) but want to try one of those mentioned in the title. We have never been to them but based on your experience, would love to know where you would recommend, accommodation, what to do etc.

Thanks in advance

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Just got back from Lake District. Absolute love it there (Windermere area). I imagine it gets crazy busy there in the summer.
Don’t know enough about the others you mentioned to comment but one vote for the Lakes from me

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just got back from Lake District. Absolute love it there (Windermere area). I imagine it gets crazy busy there in the summer.
Don’t know enough about the others you mentioned to comment but one vote for the Lakes from me
Love that area.

Gets very busy in summer but up at the Ambleside end of the lake, it’s a bit calmer.

Probably be okay in June though. July, Aug, September are the crazy months.

Keswick and Derwent Water is also a lovely spot.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Did the Lakes last month, gorgeous weather window, fighter jets on training exercise over Windermere yadda yadda. Had a bargain Hoseasons lodge 8 miles from Keswick. As above, was really busy, lots of Japanese tourists, and this was off season. Bargain £2 2 hour local bus rides through incredible scenery.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another vote for Peak District.

Although have you also considered Yorkshire? Some delightful areas.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hard to beat the view over Windermere from Orrest Head.

IMG_8591.jpeg

We stayed at the Grey Walls Inn. Great place to start some excellent walks from and a lovely place to stay.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Another vote for Peak District.

Although have you also considered Yorkshire? Some delightful areas.
Yorkshire has been mentioned but is yet another place unknown to us

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What did you think of the new footpath up to Orrest Head from Windermere?
I’ve not been for a few years so I don’t think I would have been up that path.

Good?

It was a bit of a slog when we went last about 6 years ago.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
My wife comes from East Lancashire, and we've been to the Lakes and Snowdonia many times. I've never been to the Peak District. As others have said, in high season, the tourists are a real problem.

Lakes - avoid Windermere and Grasmere. Head for Bassenthwaite and Thirlmere instead.
Alternative - try the Howgill Fells - near Sedburgh. They are nearly as high, but come with a fraction of the tourists (and therefore few shops, pubs or places to stay).

Good luck and enjoy !

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’ve not been for a few years so I don’t think I would have been up that path.

Good?

It was a bit of a slog when we went last about 6 years ago.
You can get up there in a tramper (powered wheelchair) now - along an old Victorian Carriage Drive that folk used to be driven up along but had been lost for many decades.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You can get up there in a tramper (powered wheelchair) now - along an old Victorian Carriage Drive that folk used to be driven up along but had been lost for many decades.
Ah, that’s very good.

We went up quite a winding path through woods.

Lovely walk.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My wife comes from East Lancashire, and we've been to the Lakes and Snowdonia many times. I've never been to the Peak District. As others have said, in high season, the tourists are a real problem.
It's difficult this isn't it.

I went for a walk early doors near Coniston - got there at about 7.30 am, no-one around, lovely sunny day. Place to myself.

When I got back to my car, which was hemmed in, it was about midday. I then drove back down the lakeside and it was absolutely heaving. I cursed the 'tourists' and then realised that I myself was doing just what I was moaning that they were doing - ie: driving along a road in a popular area, on a sunny day in a single occupancy car. I was adding to the problem. Indeed, it could be said I was part of the problem.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Ah, that’s very good.

We went up quite a winding path through woods.

Lovely walk.
It's also got some brand new benches at the top - one slat for every degree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here