Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Bloom becoming untrustworthy?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Not to us of course, but to prospective managers.

We all know the song sheet, buy players young/cheap, develop them, sell for a profit. We are all comfortable with aiming to establish ourselves as a top ten club, we know our history etc etc… Managers are no doubt schooled in our ways before any job offer is considered so theoretically can have no complaints when we stick to our guns.

But by their very nature managers want to be leaders, to develop their own ideas, get players that fit in with their plans. Basically, to at least have some input into the plans for the team.

But we have now seen TBs absolute determination to stick to his plan cost us another manager. He has every right of course, he has bankrolled everything that we have. This single mindedness has led to the unexpected departure of three managers now - Poyet, Hughton and De Zerbi. Each was for differing reasons, the first two sacked and the third by mutual consent. But any incoming guy might well think to himself, ‘at any point I could get fired out of the blue’. Not through shit results, not a massive falling out with the boss, but just because the owner feels something is not quite right. No warning, no vote of confidence, just BOOM, gone.

Could this make us a slightly less attractive proposition than we think we are?

You are on the wind up? Surely Shirley? Do you think we are top 4 or something??

What about the other side of the coin you so freely forget in that Managers see a brilliantly managed club, want in on it, agree to the model and then get greedy??

I have no doubt Tony and the team are pretty clear when he goes courting managers....

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Unfortunately, Tony's strategy applies to both Players, Managers and probably every single member of staff. A strategy that has got us into Europe and for now at least, solidity in the EPL rather than being relegation scrappers - what exactly do people want?

If a Manager accepts the strategy when appointed, it's hardly surprising the action Tony took when it becomes glaringly obvious that the Manager wants more and wants to dictate and change the previously successful strategy. We are a mid table EPL Club who have been punching above our weight. We simply do not have the resources currently to break into the Top 6/8 unless Tony changes the strategy and dumps a large amount of cash to facilitate this or this existing strategy gets us a top 6 place and Europe as it did last year - the existing strategy doesn't mean it's guaranteed year after year.

Anyone expecting a Top 6 calibre manager champing at the bit to manage Brighton, I fear is going to be disappointed, in the same way they were disappointed that we didn't replace our Midfield with Top 6 calibre players!

Expect an up and coming Manager as RDZ's replacement, the same recruitment strategy to players - it is what it is!!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Clickbait

We all know the song sheet, buy players young/cheap, develop them, sell for a profit. We are all comfortable with aiming to establish ourselves as a top ten club, we know our history etc etc… Managers are no doubt schooled in our ways before any job offer is considered so theoretically can have no complaints when we stick to our guns.

But by their very nature managers want to be leaders, to develop their own ideas, get players that fit in with their plans. Basically, to at least have some input into the plans for the team.

But we have now seen TBs absolute determination to stick to his plan cost us another manager. He has every right of course, he has bankrolled everything that we have. This single mindedness has led to the unexpected departure of three managers now - Poyet, Hughton and De Zerbi. Each was for differing reasons, the first two sacked and the third by mutual consent. But any incoming guy might well think to himself, ‘at any point I could get fired out of the blue’. Not through shit results, not a massive falling out with the boss, but just because the owner feels something is not quite right. No warning, no vote of confidence, just BOOM, gone.

This isn't the Daily Mail. Bozza isn't desperate for clicks...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think at all that Bloom is "untrustworthy" as such.

I do now think with the "mutual" binning off of RDZ that the goal is more "£120 million profit" seasons rather than more European football seasons. Which is a shame. Oh well.

I reckon we reached "peak Brighton" this season in the Europa League and the downslope starts from here. It was good while it lasted. :nono:

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I’m not sure in Tony’s case that’s true. He’s never struck me as an unreasonable guy. I suspect you could question him, but publicly on Sky Sports is probably not the time he’d want you to do it. I suspect he’s more a “come see me and we’ll have a chat in my office” kind of guy.

I don’t think the club or Tony have got everything right this year, it’s easy to see somethings haven’t gone the way we thought but then, who does get everything right? Even Real Madrid and Man City have transfers that don’t work sometimes or results that are poor.

At the end of the day, Tony is the one who got RDZ in the first place, and got us to Europe. He’s not suddenly become incapable overnight.
I never said he’d become incapable, simply that multi billionaires rarely like being questioned.

We made a lot of mistakes last summer. Those mistakes will have been his, whether he likes it or not. And they’ve impacted our season.

That doesn’t mean we don’t owe him a ton as a club, or that he hasn’t got most decisions right because, ultimately, two things or more can be right at once.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A new low that a noted WUM account has taken so many of you in. Pop it on ignore and move on.

Reactions: cjd

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Got to be one of THE most ridiculous threads of 2024. More assumptions than when Susan Boyle walked onto the BGT stage.

Watford have had TWENTY ONE managers in 10 years and they don't have trouble getting a manager. Man U, Spuds, Chelshit, Palarse etc etc etc.... all change managers quicker than your average VAR decision.

Any manager knows that it is TBs club, knows that it's TBs vision and money that's got us here, knows the recruitment policy, knows that their job is secure if they perform and knows that they will not get sacked based on arbitrary rules.

So - Nah.
Big call.
There are strong contenders from the last 24 hours alone.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Forget Caicedo and Mac Allister. That’s history and there’s no chance any club of a similar size would have turned down the money offered. Nor did we squander the lot on a series of overpriced flops, like most would. There are funds to be spent on the right players plus a squad that includes Mitoma, brilliant young prospects like Enciso, Van Hecke, Baleba, Barco, Adingra, Verbruggen plus others out on loan.

Bloom’s stewardship has put us in that position and he’s generally very loyal to managers that don’t mouth off in public. It’s a great job and I imagine he’ll be inundated with people that want to work with him.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

No.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Calm down - that’s not what I wrote and you know it so don’t use my post as a springboard to launch yet another one of your tirades against our ‘failure to replace Mackie and Caicedo“ recruitment - I am bored with months of hearing this too.

Get over it.

No one knew Dahoud would be a bust -or Baleba would be a slow bloomer - recruitment isn’t an exact science and no one knew we would lose Pervis for long term injury or miss some recruitment targets of our own. We’ve battered this to death for months.

We have a good number of youngsters like Barco, Hinshelwood, Facu and Encisco that are exiting prospects for us next season and we have an opportunity to improve the squad in the summer but if you think we are heading into the summer window with a long shopping list and deep pockets, I fear you may be disappointed - we will build a team that can cope with European competition and absorb the routinely high injuries now in the EPL but it will take a few seasons - unfortunately RDZ wanted it sooner.

I suggest you check back on posts as I am not sure I have mentioned failure to replace Ali Mac and and Caicedo much until the last couple of days, let alone been on tirades for months, so wind your neck in.

Where have I said I expect a summer shopping spree either? Hopefully you are confusing me with someone else because that is a pretty uniformed rant on what I have supposedly been saying all season.

You come across as pretty aggressive whenever someone disagrees or questions anything. I’ll make a point not to bother again

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I suggest you check back on posts as I am not sure I have mentioned failure to replace Ali Mac and and Caicedo until the last couple of days, let alone been on tirades for months, so wind your neck in.

You come across as pretty aggressive whenever someone disagrees or questions anything. I’ll make a point not to bother again
That is the posters M.O unfortunately.

Reactions: cjd

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not sure about untrustworthy but he doesn't muck about.

Deadly Tony Bloom

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

His club, his rules. And he's done pretty well since he's taken over at the top, no?

His is a long-term vision, RDZ's was a short-term, personal one. It was always going to end like this.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've only just seen this thread . . .

Remeber he said 'Don't TOUCH the brown acid, it's not particularly good'

not, be sure to have at least 2 tabs and risk getting sectioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here