[Albion] FAB member vote

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Why do so many of the applicants to this thing seem to be the type of people who like to sit in the front row when watching a football match?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh I missed this!

Dave the gaffer, the voice of the fans who thinks modern football is shit

I would stand on my platform of not having enough points to go to away games and refusing to buy any of the food offerings as they are really horrible

I wouldn’t get any bobble hat votes, and as I am no longer a slave to LinkedIn I wouldn’t get the business person fan vote

So all in all I would be screwed

So I am sorry, for those reasons I am out

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh I missed this!

I would stand on my platform of not having enough points to go to away games and refusing to buy any of the food offerings as they are really horrible

I wouldn’t get any bobble hat votes, and as I am no longer a slave to LinkedIn I wouldn’t get the business person fan vote

My sort of fellow fan

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oh I missed this!

Got my vote!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
any NSCers going to reveal themselves as on the shortlist

Some people might consider this discrimination.

1715214736310.png

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It might be that I'm just getting old and grumpy but the whole premise that comes across in a number of them, explicitly and implicitly, that the "fan experience" needs to be improved and that the club have a responsibility to do it, makes me nauseous. It just seems like it reinforces the increasing customer-isation of fans. I don't want to feel like a customer who is there to be treated like the club owes me more than the game I'm going to see.

I know it's subjective, and some people want more, and things can definitely be improved, but there's a balance between "making food service in WSU a bit quicker" and turning football into something where the game becomes secondary to all the paraphernalia of the "experience" around it, and the number of those standing who talk about "fan experience" is a bit worrying. Times change but not always for the better - the better safety is good, I like that we can go to the toilet without having to pay the ferryman to cross the yellow river flowing around our feet, it's good that the food isn't going to poison us...but...

...generations of us grew up not needing to be told what to start singing or when, not needing shooting flames to get excited, not needing a countdown to the players coming on the pitch so we'd know when to start clapping, without a "fan zone" to feel part of it...and it didn't put any of us off...I'd argue that the addition of all those things detract from the "fan experience", they don't add to it.

So many of our kids won't grow up with that visceral excitement of feeling a crowd organically grow in voice as one and start singing in the build up to players coming out - 30,000+ unorchestrated fans all combining in the same song, with natural support and passion coming out at full volume, and after a great game celebrating their heroes with their own song instead of what the PA decides to broadcast. Yes, they'll be excited, they'll have great moments, but not as great as they could have been. Chelsea next week - imagine how epic it'd be if there was no PA, no songs played, no flames, just the tension and songs from the opposing fans building before the players come out. That's a fan experience. What we currently have is in danger of becoming a curated, managed, customer experience.

If I think about the away stadiums I've most enjoyed over the past few seasons it's in inverse proportion to the amount the host club curates and controls the "fan experience". One of the best is Anfield where there's little artificially constructed hype outside the ground or in it, the fans generate the experience. One of the worst is Leicester because they hype it up so badly (and goal music...vom)...or Old Trafford where the club spend so much time going on about how they are the "greatest club in the world" and their history that they've forgotten about the present, but the "fan experience" for home fans is probably great because so many are insecure nostalgia junkies...or Arsenal where the club have made it so sterile it's like going to the opera and the "fan experience" is choreographed by the people waving the club-provided big flags.

There's a law of something, I don't know what, but how often things can be improved not by addition but by subtraction. If people think we need to improve the "fan experience" they need to be looking at what needs to be taken away more than looking at what needs to be added. If the club is asked to provide the "fan experience" then like those clubs above we'll get what the club thinks that experience should be, and because that has to cater for everyone from those of us who just want to go to the game to those who pay thousands a year for fine dining alongside the match there's precisely zero examples in sport where that's an improvement on what the fans themselves generate, instead you get a beige mess of managed fun. And honestly, I think our "fan experience" and how well we're looked after is better than almost every other ground in the league and it's a bit weird how much focus there is on it. That's not to say some elements can't be improved around food and drink for example, but the disproportionate focus on it seems to me to suggest people either don't realise how lucky we are or don't have experience elsewhere, or maybe both those things.

All this is, of course, entirely subjective and I'll get off my soapbox now.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It might be that I'm just getting old and grumpy but the whole premise that comes across in a number of them, explicitly and implicitly, that the "fan experience" needs to be improved and that the club have a responsibility to do it, makes me nauseous. It just seems like it reinforces the increasing customer-isation of fans. I don't want to feel like a customer who is there to be treated like the club owes me more than the game I'm going to see.

I know it's subjective, and some people want more, and things can definitely be improved, but there's a balance between "making food service in WSU a bit quicker" and turning football into something where the game becomes secondary to all the paraphernalia of the "experience" around it, and the number of those standing who talk about "fan experience" is a bit worrying. Times change but not always for the better - the better safety is good, I like that we can go to the toilet without having to pay the ferryman to cross the yellow river flowing around our feet, it's good that the food isn't going to poison us...but...

...generations of us grew up not needing to be told what to start singing or when, not needing shooting flames to get excited, not needing a countdown to the players coming on the pitch so we'd know when to start clapping, without a "fan zone" to feel part of it...and it didn't put any of us off...I'd argue that the addition of all those things detract from the "fan experience", they don't add to it.

So many of our kids won't grow up with that visceral excitement of feeling a crowd organically grow in voice as one and start singing in the build up to players coming out - 30,000+ unorchestrated fans all combining in the same song, with natural support and passion coming out at full volume, and after a great game celebrating their heroes with their own song instead of what the PA decides to broadcast. Yes, they'll be excited, they'll have great moments, but not as great as they could have been. Chelsea next week - imagine how epic it'd be if there was no PA, no songs played, no flames, just the tension and songs from the opposing fans building before the players come out. That's a fan experience. What we currently have is in danger of becoming a curated, managed, customer experience.

If I think about the away stadiums I've most enjoyed over the past few seasons it's in inverse proportion to the amount the host club curates and controls the "fan experience". One of the best is Anfield where there's little artificially constructed hype outside the ground or in it, the fans generate the experience. One of the worst is Leicester because they hype it up so badly (and goal music...vom)...or Old Trafford where the club spend so much time going on about how they are the "greatest club in the world" and their history that they've forgotten about the present, but the "fan experience" for home fans is probably great because so many are insecure nostalgia junkies...or Arsenal where the club have made it so sterile it's like going to the opera and the "fan experience" is choreographed by the people waving the club-provided big flags.

There's a law of something, I don't know what, but how often things can be improved not by addition but by subtraction. If people think we need to improve the "fan experience" they need to be looking at what needs to be taken away more than looking at what needs to be added. If the club is asked to provide the "fan experience" then like those clubs above we'll get what the club thinks that experience should be, and because that has to cater for everyone from those of us who just want to go to the game to those who pay thousands a year for fine dining alongside the match there's precisely zero examples in sport where that's an improvement on what the fans themselves generate, instead you get a beige mess of managed fun. And honestly, I think our "fan experience" and how well we're looked after is better than almost every other ground in the league and it's a bit weird how much focus there is on it. That's not to say some elements can't be improved around food and drink for example, but the disproportionate focus on it seems to me to suggest people either don't realise how lucky we are or don't have experience elsewhere, or maybe both those things.

All this is, of course, entirely subjective and I'll get off my soapbox now.
Fans have 90 minutes to create an uninterrupted atmosphere and most of the time it’s crap. We know the Amex crowd is capable of it as it’s been done Massive/Chelsea for example but let’s not pretend it’s down to a bit of music ruining things.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
'Passionate about PBOBE...'
As always, they’ll all be super-excited when they get voted in, BURSTING with enthusiasm and telling everyone how AMAZING it’s going to be contributing to the ‘development of the fan experience’ etc etc. then after the first couple of meetings (key decisons : who is going to take minutes, who is monitoring the email inbox this week and what type of biscuits they want for the next meeting) they’ll wonder why they bothered (that is if they don’t get booted out after 5 mins for posting pics inside the training ground) :lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports