[Albion] Champions League 23/24 Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The RM players stopped playing when the lino flagged hard to say if the ball would have ended up in the net. I guess that’s why the ref blew the whistle. When we played City the Lino flagged for a few imaginary Brighton offsides no one can convince me the game isn’t corrupt. The soft pens Arsenal & City got at the weekend were a disgrace.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It must have been weird for Bayern Munich to be on the receiving end after so many years of being the beneficiaries.

Madrid were the better side over the tie to be fair

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
you can tell by the ref's face straight after, he knew he'd f+cked up. He basically got jedi mind-tricked into blowing the whistle by the RM defense.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I know logically that it's not Kane's fault that this is the first season since 11/12 that Bayern have failed to win anything but...it's Kane's fault, isn't it? The man is cursed.

Jokes aside, I was reading a Reddit thread earlier about it and one poster did make a reasonable point about Kane going missing in the big games. I didn't watch last night so couldn't comment but there's got to be something in that, generally speaking.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
thought this was funny.
441052132_450825167488082_6117904840180914957_n.jpg

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I know logically that it's not Kane's fault that this is the first season since 11/12 that Bayern have failed to win anything but...it's Kane's fault, isn't it? The man is cursed.

Jokes aside, I was reading a Reddit thread earlier about it and one poster did make a reasonable point about Kane going missing in the big games. I didn't watch last night so couldn't comment but there's got to be something in that, generally speaking.
He got an assist for the goal and had a good shot saved (that may have been going wide). Most Bayern attacks broke down before the ball got near him.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He got an assist for the goal and had a good shot saved (that may have been going wide). Most Bayern attacks broke down before the ball got near him.
Yeh, Kane was decent last night. Just like Kane normally is. Brings others in well, looks to shoot early. Didn't feature loads admittedly as Real dominated the ball and the chances. It's quite amusing to blame Kane, but the reality is Munich were outclassed, and were victim to an error from an otherwise excellent official and an error from an otherwise excellent goalie.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If City win the league again this year I think all the other clubs in the league should find a way to get them to sign Kane in the summer just so someone else has a chance.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Same as the Prem league isn't it?

Big team attacking, allow play to carry on in case they score.
Smaller team attacking, flag immediately for any potential offside.

I've seen it at least 3 times this season. vs Spurs, Arsenal, City.
Exactly that happened when we played City the other week. We have the ball out on the right, attacking the South Stand: flag goes up, ref stops play.

City get the ball up the other end: no flag, they progress the attack, we have to try and get challenges in to stop them, risking injury or whatever, play eventually peters out, flag finally goes up. Absolutely shambolic.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Exactly that happened when we played City the other week. We have the ball out on the right, attacking the South Stand: flag goes up, ref stops play.

City get the ball up the other end: no flag, they progress the attack, we have to try and get challenges in to stop them, risking injury or whatever, play eventually peters out, flag finally goes up. Absolutely shambolic.
Similarly Pedro was wiped out on the half way line on sunday, No card given,
Buananotte and Adingra both given instant yellows for lesser tactical fouls, later in the game.

I've noticed this and general big team bias, happens more frequently as we get to the end of the season.
The refs and linos seemingly scared of making decisions which might negatively impact the bigger teams reaching their targets.

The infamous Spurs away game was as we got into the business end of the season.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've noticed this and general big team bias, happens more frequently as we get to the end of the season.
The refs and linos seemingly scared of making decisions which might negatively impact the bigger teams reaching their targets.
I think it might have been journalist Scott Murray, but someone referenced after the City game the weird way that unconscious bias towards one "big 6" team in a game might have major consequences for another so the negative impact of that bias is doubled up.

Foden's slip and freekick for example, Pedro not getting the penalty...in a closer game those could have defined the result and the 3 points, maybe relegating or keeping another team out of Europe, and also potentially costing Arsenal the league. ie. the impact is potentially far greater than in a game between two mid-table teams with less riding on it.

Arsenal will of course get the benefit of similar unconscious bias at times, but depending who each team is playing in the final games of the season it could significantly swing the title race one way or the other - if one top 6 team has more 'lesser' teams to play in the last few games they are perhaps more likely to get the greater number of marginal decisions than a team playing others more around the same bit of the table: the unconscious bias will always favour the big team in the stadium, it'll never be unconsciously biased towards other teams that aren't playing, and will likely show to a lesser extent with two similarly positioned teams.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it might have been journalist Scott Murray, but someone referenced after the City game the weird way that unconscious bias towards one "big 6" team in a game might have major consequences for another so the negative impact of that bias is doubled up.

Foden's slip and freekick for example, Pedro not getting the penalty...in a closer game those could have defined the result and the 3 points, maybe relegating or keeping another team out of Europe, and also potentially costing Arsenal the league. ie. the impact is potentially far greater than in a game between two mid-table teams with less riding on it.

Arsenal will of course get the benefit of similar unconscious bias at times, but depending who each team is playing in the final games of the season it could significantly swing the title race one way or the other - if one top 6 team has more 'lesser' teams to play in the last few games they are perhaps more likely to get the greater number of marginal decisions than a team playing others more around the same bit of the table: the unconscious bias will always favour the big team in the stadium, it'll never be unconsciously biased towards other teams that aren't playing, and will likely show to a lesser extent with two similarly positioned teams.
Is it unconscious bias, or an expectation of an outcome before it has happened?

You rarely see the likes of Grealish, Saka, Foden NOT win a free kick when they go down, even though they often either fall over, stick out a leg and take contact (which is cheating) or lose a tackle they had more than a 50% chance of winning.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Similarly Pedro was wiped out on the half way line on sunday, No card given,
Buananotte and Adingra both given instant yellows for lesser tactical fouls, later in the game.

The infamous Spurs away game was as we got into the business end of the season.
What about Gilmours tackle in penalty area on Rogers against Villa

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports