Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Brit Awards 2023

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most of the artists on this years Brit awards , I’d never heard of . Can’t get excited anymore , the quality of pop music went downhill for me from mid 90’s and hasn’t recovered .

Pop stars in the 80’s were mainly exciting, individual & talented nowdays they are not .
You really are not trying. There’s loads of excellent new music each and every year.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Most of the artists on this years Brit awards , I’d never heard of . Can’t get excited anymore , the quality of pop music went downhill for me from mid 90’s and hasn’t recovered .

Pop stars in the 80’s were mainly exciting, individual & talented nowdays they are not .
So much quality music out there, and some of the winners, you just have to find it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
There’s no one in the last 20 years I can think of , that’s remotely in the league of Bowie , Prince , Whitney & yes Duran Duran . I’m not looking to start an argument, I’m just saying the standard is lower because people seek generally happy to accept less talent nowadays as long as there on TikTok !
Back in the 80’s the likes of Sam Smith & Justin Bieder wouldn’t have even been offered a recording contract ,

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
There’s no one in the last 20 years I can think of , that’s remotely in the league of Bowie , Prince , Whitney & yes Duran Duran . I’m not looking to start an argument, I’m just saying the standard is lower because people seek generally happy to accept less talent nowadays as long as there on TikTok !
Back in the 80’s the likes of Sam Smith & Justin Bieder wouldn’t have even been offered a recording contract ,
"I'm not looking to start an argument..." but here's my opinion. LOL.

You're seeing everything through the prism of an old man!

I wouldn't define music purely by the megastars, but do you seriously not think the likes of Adele, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift are talented?

(You might not like their music but that's not what I'm asking)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
They obviously have a certain amount of talent but I do not believe they are in the same talent league as the likes of Bowie or Prince etc.

By the way - I’ve never been called an old man before !!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
"I'm not looking to start an argument..." but here's my opinion. LOL.

You're seeing everything through the prism of an old man!

I wouldn't define music purely by the megastars, but do you seriously not think the likes of Adele, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift are talented?

(You might not like their music but that's not what I'm asking)
Ageist, I’m sure my friend Live by the Sea is a similar age to myself :smile: 😬

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They obviously have a certain amount of talent but I do not believe they are in the same talent league as the likes of Bowie or Prince etc.

99% of 80s' artists weren't in the "same talent league" as Bowie or Prince.

Must have been a crap decade!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t like much modern pop music and I’m in my mid thirties. The reason being that I simply am not exposed to it like I used to be. Growing up I would listen to the top 40 on a Sunday afternoon, buy singles and albums on CD, talk about music with mates etc.

Now I don’t do anything like that and when I hear people like Sam Smith and Stormzy, I really don’t get on with them. Especially Sam Smith who sounds like a dying cat

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That's the thing - music, like so many other things - is subjective. So you can't say the 'standard is lower', just that you don't like it. Which is fine, but I don't get why people have to moan about other music that millions of people DO love 🤷‍♂️

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How do you, personally, make this judgement? What is your argument based on? How did you arrive at the idea the big names of the 80s are not in the same league as the big names now? Just curious.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's the thing - music, like so many other things - is subjective. So you can't say the 'standard is lower', just that you don't like it. Which is fine, but I don't get why people have to moan about other music that millions of people DO love 🤷‍♂️
Quite, there is good stuff around at the moment.my 18 year old listens to some really excellent drum and bass, dub step and many other similar genres.

Some good indie stuff about too. The albums thread on here is always a good place to start.

Modern pop music doesn't sound as good as pop from when we were young but let's face it, it's not aimed at us. Sheeran, Swift, Styles, Lorde, Bieber, etc etc clearly write good songs and the kids like it. There is of course some shite about too but it was always thus.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
How do you, personally, make this judgement? What is your argument based on? How did you arrive at the idea the big names of the 80s are not in the same league as the big names now? Just curious.
Mainly because I can remember many of the songs of the 80’s but most of the music I hear nowdays I can’t remember even a few months later !

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mainly because I can remember many of the songs of the 80’s but most of the music I hear nowdays I can’t remember even a few months later !

Nearly everyone's favourite music decade is the one when they were youths. This is because we are more in tune with those times and we are primed for discovering music. For most of us it was everywhere and soundtracks our lives when the world was new and exciting. Songs and albums were a shared experience with friends and other youths. Clubs, discos, parties, pubs all pounding our ears with music.

It's really not the music that's changed my friend, it's you. I don't know how old you are but a forty something bloke isn't going to listen to Sam Smith and hear the same thing as he did when he was 16 and hearing Planet Earth. The awe and wonder and willingness to have their mind blown just isn't there.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Really-gif.gif

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Whitney and Duran Duran were crap lol. Wet Leg and Fontaines D.C. are two winners last night who are far better.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

If that’s your immediate thought then you haven’t explored new music and given it a chance. Personally I can’t stand Bowie or Queen just don’t get what all the fuss is about. Is it music you were meant to like in that era because other people did?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here