Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Birmingham Commonwealth Games

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Duran Duran absolutely taking the roof off.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
:lolol:

Quality stuff from Lenny Henry introducing the nation of Dudley.

:lolol: :lolol:

God he is tedious. His act for decades, I'm black, I'm from Dudley repeat.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Quality stuff from Duran, Duran. Not many cities can compete with Birmingham for musical talent. DD, Black Sabbath, Slade, UB40, Beverley Knight and Wizzard.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not many cities can compete with Birmingham for musical talent. DD, Black Sabbath, Slade, UB40, Beverley Knight and Wizzard.

Yes, but why are you including Duran Duran?

..............and Slade weren't a Birmigham band either. They were Wolverhampton, Black Country - very different - and you've just insulted both Brummes and people from the Black Country. But the myopic view from Lyme Regis? All north of Watford, I guess.........

Jog on.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Quality stuff from Duran, Duran. Not many cities can compete with Birmingham for musical talent. DD, Black Sabbath, Slade, UB40, Beverley Knight and Wizzard.

A City of Wells local pub Karaoke on a Friday night maybe?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
They didn't. There were no Empire games in 1951.

'Empire' remained in the name of the games until 1966.
The Commonwealth Games were known as the British Empire Games from 1930 to 1950, the British Empire and Commonwealth Games from 1954 to 1966, and British Commonwealth Games from 1970 to 1974
You're welcome
As I said, I lost interest in 1951 when they decided to change the name from the Empire Games, a change that was implemented at the 1954 games⁰

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A City of Wells local pub Karaoke on a Friday night maybe?
Hmmmm ............. marginal. Are we talking better than Duran Duran, or better than some of the good music that came out of Birmingham (including the Black Country for those who don't know the difference)?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

ELO, The Beat, Dexy’s, Fine Young Cannibals, Moody Blues, Judas Priest- probably some obvious others I’ve forgotten…

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Commonwealth Games were known as the British Empire Games from 1930 to 1950, the British Empire and Commonwealth Games from 1954 to 1966, and British Commonwealth Games from 1970 to 1974
Yes, I know - 'Empire' included until 1966. The fact that Britain disbanded the Empire and embraced the idea of a Commonwealth, which virtually all of the old Empire willingly signed up to - and which other nations have since sought to join this great commonwealth of nations - is one of the proudest things which makes most of us proud to be British (those of us who don't try to denigrate our country at every opportunity anyway). How many other empires in history have ended this way, with all the nations still wanting to be involved in an international bond of friendship?

Answers on the back of a postage stamp, please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here