Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best 3 Bands You Have Seen Live

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You absolute bar steward for seeing Led Zep live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw them at Knebworth 1979, Page clearly out of it on Heroin. Fairport Convention (very last minute addition to the Bill) were the best band of the Day.

Would have loved to have seen LZ in their pomp (72-73) of course.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
So many gigs, so many bands...

Lets try Hawkwind Spirit of the Age Tour 1977 at Manchester Palace complete with 'interlude' between local Hells Angels and Security

Frank Zappa at Knebworth think 1980? Couldn't understand what he was doing until half way through the Set then loved it.

Boo Radleys in little old Warrington Town Hall mid 1990's, utterly brilliant, they should have been far bigger but hey ho.

Have stopped going to gigs, think the last one was Robert Plant & Alison Krauss at Wembley, not a bad way to check out...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Black Sabbeth
ACDC
Thin Lizzy

Best three bands I have seen but not nessaararaly the best concerts

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Strange thing is, they were crap when I saw them

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
AC DC with Bon Scott
Genesis

So many great live bands over the years

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I always preferred small gigs , so although I had some great nights at big venues , I will pick:
John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers
The Blues Band with Paul Jones etc
The Hamsters... (unsigned heroes from Essex.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) The Ruts Marquee 79
2) The Ramones Top Rank Suite 86
3) Adam and the Ants Margate Sunshine Rooms 78

I first saw The Ramones around that time at the Top Rank. I also saw The Cult, on their Love tour, a week before or after the Ramones.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Foo Fighters - MK Bowl when they had Alice Cooper as a guest

Coldplay - Say what you like, or probably dislike about them, but they know how to put on a show

Hurricane Party - saw them all over the country, some of the best shows were at the Metro in London, brilliant rock band that went through many line up/name changes.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
ian dury and the blockheads glasto 84

kid creole and the coconuts brighton centre 82

paul simon and ladysmith black mambazo seapoint stadium capetown 92

I went to the Kid Creole gig, what a great night.

My top 3 would be.
Springsteen,
Pink Floyd, the Wall tour 81.
I’m torn between the Jam, and Waterboys, both numerous times, can’t split them.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015

Only once sadly, the famous Knebworth concert 1979. Seen Plant numerous times and Page and Plant twice. Tried with 21 million other people for the reunion concert at the O2 and was prepared to pay £800 on EBay, i followed one seller until the last few minutes and it went £780, £800, £1900, and up to £8000. Sadly did not bid or go.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The Cure Stadio Olimpico Rome
AC/DC Hammersmith Odeon
The Smiths Hammersmith Palais

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
As has been stated before on this thread, a lot of stars needs to align to make a truly great gig. The band has to want it, the crowd has to be up for it, and you have to be up for it among other factors. I've been to a lot of gigs in the last 44 years, and seen bands that I love turn out to be utter toilet live (The Stranglers, twice) and bands you don't expect to like pull off blinders (The Members, several times in the late 70s, including 'nearly' blowing headliners The Clash off stage at the Rainbow).

So, too many to choose from, but among those that have stood out for me:

1 Gang of Four (Hammersmith Palais 1981, and then again in Amsterdam 2004 when I was braced for a 'cash-in reunion' disappointment, but got blown away)
2 U2 (Lyceum, Feb 1981, their first-ever proper headline show in London - saw them 7 times but this was 'the one' when it all came together)
3 Neutral Milk Hotel (Utrecht, 2014 - simply joyous)

Honourable mentions to The Polyphonic Spree, !!! (Chk! Chk! Chk!), Hot Chip, The Birthday Party (although it could also go very wrong with them), The Members, The Ruts, Arcade Fire, Thee Oh Sees, The Ramones on their day (yes, I was at the '86 Top Rank gig as well...), and the.. actually I'm not going to be able to stop. There are too many.

And personal nods to the only two front men I've seen with enough magnetism and stage presence to bring an event alive simply by walking on stage: Fee Waybill of The Tubes, and Phil Lynott

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Foo Fighters - MK Bowl when they had Alice Cooper as a guest

Coldplay - Say what you like, or probably dislike about them, but they know how to put on a show

Hurricane Party - saw them all over the country, some of the best shows were at the Metro in London, brilliant rock band that went through many line up/name changes.

I like Coldplay and saw them at Wembley Stadium but from the far end. It was OK but not that memorable unfortunately. Have enjoyed their concerts more on TV.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Pink Floyd - Earls Court
Eric Clapton - Albert Hall
U2 -Cardiff Arms Park

close runners up
Family - The Dome
Eurythmics - Brighton Centre
Coliseum - The Dome
Bowie - Cardiff Arms Park
Led Zep - Bath Festival 1970 (Couldn't really see them as TV screens back in the day were pretty crap)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Only once sadly, the famous Knebworth concert 1979. Seen Plant numerous times and Page and Plant twice. Tried with 21 million other people for the reunion concert at the O2 and was prepared to pay £800 on EBay, i followed one seller until the last few minutes and it went £780, £800, £1900, and up to £8000. Sadly did not bid or go.

:mad::mad::mad:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Kraftwerk at Universe
Primal Scream at The Event
Buena Vista Social Club at The Dome

Honourable mentions to Flowered Up at The Zap Club. Not exactly the tightest band in the world but that night was mental, full of Brighton loonies dancing like nutters and banging round a large, inflatable can of Red Stripe. One of those nights where it could have gone either way but everyone emerged sweaty and smiling. Also Passenger who I only saw because my friends know him but was much, much better than I was expecting.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Bob Marley & The Wailers. Brighton Center
Burning Spear. Top Rank.
Freddie McGregor & The Studio One Band. That place attached to the Royal Pavilion.
He did free concert for my missus who was founder/chair of Brighton anti apartheid, to raise money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here