Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a Premiership professional, blimey what a detachment from real life...

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
But what other prefession controls your whole life??

In your 9-5 job at 5pm you can do what you like, if you want to go for a drinking binge and take al the drugs you can get your hands on then you can, likwise with food, your job doesnt control what you eat, unlike a prfessional footballer.

And if your boss told that because you didnt do your job properly one day, you have to be there at 6am the next day, you wouldnt vbe expected to do it, unlike footballers.

Being a footballer is alot harder than people think. You start the carrer at the age of 10 when you get snapped up by a pro team, how many of you guys in a 9-5 were doing the same job at the age of 10?

How many people who are in a 9-5 could have your carrer ended in one split second whilst you are doing your job, through no fault of your own?

Yes some of them are massivley overpaid, but its not a case of turning up for a couple of hours every morning and picking up your £50,000 cheque every week!!
And they all hate their jobs and the media attention that goes with it I suppose.

Last edited:

And they all hate there jobs and the media attention that goes with it I suppose.

I doubt any of them hate their jobs, although I'm sure that some of them would be happy without the media attention a lot of them obviously love it.

Ali makes a very good point though. Think of all the things that you do, or used to do, that you take for granted. Being able to go for a beer after work, and stay out getting hammered if you feel like it. Can't be arsed to cook? Grab a takeaway then, no problem. Fancy a nice winter sun break? Go and book one then. Nice relaxed family Christmas? No problem.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I doubt any of them hate their jobs, although I'm sure that some of them would be happy without the media attention a lot of them obviously love it.

Ali makes a very good point though. Think of all the things that you do, or used to do, that you take for granted. Being able to go for a beer after work, and stay out getting hammered if you feel like it. Can't be arsed to cook? Grab a takeaway then, no problem. Fancy a nice winter sun break? Go and book one then. Nice relaxed family Christmas? No problem.
Getting paid f*** loads of money for having a kick around with you mates? Able to miss an interview as you fell asleep and still get the job? Smacking shit out of someone in McDonalds and ending up with a holiday in a very expensive sports clinic? Driving a different car for every day of the week?

f***ing hard life they lead!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In your 9-5 job at 5pm you can do what you like, if you want to go for a drinking binge and take al the drugs you can get your hands on then you can, likwise with food, your job doesnt control what you eat, unlike a prfessional footballer.

And if your boss told that because you didnt do your job properly one day, you have to be there at 6am the next day, you wouldnt vbe expected to do it, unlike footballers.

i think you'll find that many do go for drinks binges and only skip the drugs because they know they will be tested. Eating a healthy diet can hardly be considered a hardship either. I dont know what you do, but in IT, accountancy and im sure many other fields, you do have to stay late or go in early the next day if theres a f*** up, or work the weekend. The clubs are also not allowed to sign you until you are 16, and insurance payouts for career ending injuries are the norm, so dont really know what you are talking about there.

of course its no picnic, especially if you are to be the best and keep fit for 20 years, but its not a hardship either, especailly when you earn more in a year than most 9-5 will get in their entire working life.

(bare in mind we are talking about premiership prima donnas here, not those that carve a living in the lower leagues)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here