Being a Premiership professional, blimey what a detachment from real life...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Heard on the radio this morning that Benjani's on-off saga transfer from Portsmouth to City was delayed, if true, because he fell asleep at the airport and missed two flights. It got me thinking about the parallels of working in the real world...imagine if you were a talented sales director and were offered a job with better pay, better prospects, for a company with more of an international brand in a different part of the country. The job is in the bag, no interview required, just hop on the plane and sign the contract. So, I wonder, how many prospective employers out there would still go ahead and give the job to some numpty who fell asleep and missed not 1 but 2 flights...of course in the crazy world of football these things don't matter and Benjani is now a Man City player.

The problem is not with the player, who knows things like that don't matter, but with the whole ridiculous system that allows that kind of behaviour to pass without penalty.

As a business model the Premiership exists in an insidious bubble and the more people who actually draw a line in the sand and wish to reintroduce a semblance of common sense the better - e.g. chairmen (including our own) who don't wish to deal with agents and Ab Fab Capello who seems to be installing some discipline and respect in our overpaid, underperforming national team the better.

Man, it's a bonkers place Planet Premiership...

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Do You Know The Circumstances Of His Trip? Do You Know If He Was Ill? Was He Travelling From A Long Way And Planes Were Delayed?

I Get Fed Up On Here Of The Usual Rentagobs Spouting About The Lives Of Footballers When They Have No Idea What Professional Footballers Do And Have To Go Through. It's Not Like Other 9 To 5 Jobs.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Bars Mar. Your thoughts and views and opinions are always welcome - I'm all for freedom of expression.
Tell me though, do you actually know what Premiership footballers have to go through? If so is that because you are a Premiership footballer? If not how do you know what they go through? I'd be interested in your thoughts here.
You will note that I refer only to Premiership footballers and not professional footballers because that is what my original post was about.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do You Know The Circumstances Of His Trip? Do You Know If He Was Ill? Was He Travelling From A Long Way And Planes Were Delayed?

I Get Fed Up On Here Of The Usual Rentagobs Spouting About The Lives Of Footballers When They Have No Idea What Professional Footballers Do And Have To Go Through. It's Not Like Other 9 To 5 Jobs.

Couldn't agree more! Poor old Ashley Cole was nearly phyically sick when Arsenal only offered him £55,000 a week and who can blame him?

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Kylie's.
In answer - tough one to generalise. In the extremes yes - so top prem player on a £100k a week will inevitably have a different life to a squad player at Dagenham and Redbridge.
My point being that the Prem is now so divorced from the real world and seemingly becoming more so.

Kylie's.
In answer - tough one to generalise. In the extremes yes - so top prem player on a £100k a week will inevitably have a different life to a squad player at Dagenham and Redbridge.
My point being that the Prem is now so divorced from the real world and seemingly becoming more so.

I agree with your initial point, but what I meant was the real day to day stuff can't be hugely different. They all have to train. They all have to do club sponsored events. The only difference may be that lower league players then can go home, pick the kids up from school etc, where prem players may have sponsors to see.

However, your point that no other employer would stand for someone not managing to get on two flights without bloody good reason is spot on IMO.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
However, your point that no other employer would stand for someone not managing to get on two flights without bloody good reason is spot on IMO.

And That's The Point. There Might Have Been A Very Good Reason. Don't Let It Stop All You Bullies From Having A Go At The Footballers Though.

By The Way - What Do You Know About What A Footballer Really Does For You To Make These Statements? Seems To Me You're Just As Full Of It As The Rest Of Them On Here.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
And That's The Point. There Might Have Been A Very Good Reason. Don't Let It Stop All You Bullies From Having A Go At The Footballers Though.

By The Way - What Do You Know About What A Footballer Really Does For You To Make These Statements? Seems To Me You're Just As Full Of It As The Rest Of Them On Here.

Twat.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner

Who's Doing The Stalking Now? And This Is You Owning Me Then, Is It? The Collected Wit And Wisdom Of The Finest Resting Actor Of Our Generation Broken Down Into 4 Letters. I Bet You're An Even Better Actor Than Dean Gaffney Too. Is There No End To Your Talents?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
To be fair to Bars Mar he probably does have more of an insight as to the world on Planet Premiership.

A world far removed from reality where childish behaviour, the inability to talk sense and a complete lack of literacy are all common-place.

Where the fact that people's brains have been replaced with the contents of a small yoghurt pot does not stop them taking a place in society and succeeding.

All things considered I think Bars Mar is speaking from a position of strength on this point.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Who's Doing The Stalking Now? And This Is You Owning Me Then, Is It? The Collected Wit And Wisdom Of The Finest Resting Actor Of Our Generation Broken Down Into 4 Letters. I Bet You're An Even Better Actor Than Dean Gaffney Too. Is There No End To Your Talents?

Twat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports