Beachy Head

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
BBC NEWS | England | Sussex | Three bodies found at Beachy Head

The bodies of a man, woman and young boy have been found at the foot of Beachy Head in East Sussex.

The coastguard alerted police that two bodies had been seen at about 2020 BST on Sunday, but the search did not begin until first light on Monday.

The identities of the three people have not yet been confirmed, but they are not thought to be local.

Sussex Police said the boy was thought to be about five-years-old. The deaths are not being treated as suspicious.

The bodies are being recovered from the beach by a coastguard team.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
The body of the child, was found IN a RUCKSACK.

Have you misread?

Eastbourne Coastguard station officer Stuart McNab, who was one of the first to be winched down the cliff, said a rucksack found at the scene contained toys, including a tractor and soft toys.

Toys, rather than boys.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was up there a few days ago. Horrible way to die.

Quick though, isn't it. Not long and drawn out.

They always talk about it being one of the UK's most notorious suicide spots. Where are the others??

I know the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol is one, as they have a Samaritans phone on the entrance to the footpath across.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Quick though, isn't it. Not long and drawn out.

Not something I would ever contemplate! Even though I'd be dead by the end, the thought of being smashed to pieces, leaving a piece of your frontal lobe on the cliff face on the way down doesn't really appeal Edna! I'm still amazed at how little of the area around Beachy Head is fenced off - not to stop people jumping, but to stop stupid tourists walking right up to the edge to peer over.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not something I would ever contemplate! Even though I'd be dead by the end, the thought of being smashed to pieces, leaving a piece of your frontal lobe on the cliff face on the way down doesn't really appeal Edna!

Nor me, but then if you've reached the point where you're contemplating killing yourself, then presumably your rationale in terms of potential hazards along the way will be seriously affected as well.

Someone I know hung himself a couple of weeks ago. A massive shock, I guess most of us will be fortunate enough to never know how dark life can get for some people.

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
you can fence beachy head of all you like, but all people will do is go elsewhere.. if someone wants to kill themselves they will do it any which way or place they can !!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
you can fence beachy head of all you like, but all people will do is go elsewhere.. if someone wants to kill themselves they will do it any which way or place they can !!

Which is exactly what I wasn't saying in my post above! :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
More people hang themselves or throw themselves in front of Tube trains than go off the Head each year so it's not quite as much of an issue as it's made out to be.

Beachy Head is so notorious because it's so dramatic. This won't be the first or last time a family go over.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why is the death not suspicious if the kid was in a rucksack?!

Well either the news report has written that wrong, the police are satisfied it was a murder/suicide with nobody else involved, or there's some reason to believe the child died of natural causes prior to going off the cliff, unlikely though that would appear.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
What sort of c'unt puts their own child in a rucksack and jumps off a cliff? Why couldn't the tosser just kill himself?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What sort of c'unt puts their own child in a rucksack and jumps off a cliff? Why couldn't the tosser just kill himself?

Think there may turn out to be more to this one than meets the eye...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports