Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Our soundsystem played under Salisbury Hotel, but even at the time, we knew it as...that place under the Salisbury hotel haha
We played for a longtime at the bottom of Preston St, and I cant remember the name of that place for the life of me..

Don't remember it in the 80's, but up to recently it was the BN1 Club, and is now called The Engine Room, serving up Metal, Goth, Rockabilly, Whist Drives, and all points in between!

Recommended!

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
I was referring the DaveInPrague's mention of the one at the bottom of Preston St

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The Apollo..thats it... been bugging me for a while..never thought to ask here..used to love it there, mainly as i lived in Cavendish place...
USed to be couple of little places in Brunswick Square and Oriental place as I remember..

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Yeah, Oriental Place had the Brighton Belle, where Quentin/Norm used to have a tuesday.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yeah, Oriental Place had the Brighton Belle, where Quentin/Norm used to have a tuesday.

Remember goin to the Brighton Belle, remember going down steps, another basement club, it was like going into a house, slightly older crowd again and maybe worth a visit midweek if nothing much happening !!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Is slowly coming back haha...I remmber the Brighton belle well, as family was dj there for a while..mick fuller in the early days...but my memory wasnt in oriental place...im sure youre right...this thread has jogged my memory a lot lately..and im having trouble piecing it all together locatons etc..haha.. a lot of names mentioned..I know...not well, but do remember some of the names which is scary..ive lived in mainland Europe for the last 12 years including a long spell in Holland and its all hazy now...haha.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im giggling to myself now, as its just occurred to me that somebody describing a portakabin down by he palace pier was talking about the old Concorde!! Got a soft spot for that place, our little crew got so sick of being thrown out for smoking grass, we decided to build our own soundsystem and hire places, and hold our own dances etc..so it had a big part in the forming of KingTafariLove in Brighton..

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Has anyone mentioned Tom & Jerrys (Sherrys) I seem to remember loads of fights after footie in there and once (or twice someone going over the balcony

Ah Sherry's was my home for a couple of years in the mid 70's. A usual night out was the Bo'sun, The vangaurd then 'Toms' which I always found very friendly but the 'wild west' nights were something special!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ah Sherry's was my home for a couple of years in the mid 70's. A usual night out was the Bo'sun, The vangaurd then 'Toms' which I always found very friendly but the 'wild west' nights were something special!

Worked at Sherrys as a glass collector for over a year in the 80s - was the cool looking dude with bleach blonde hair no less.

BTW it was a good job for pulling birds and also using up your free entry allocation of two per night.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Worked at Sherrys as a glass collector for over a year in the 80s - was the cool looking dude with bleach blonde hair no less.

BTW it was a good job for pulling birds and also using up your free entry allocation of two per night.

You got two free birds a night? Thats a perk of the job then

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Another 80's casual culture debate. Bitter or Lager? It was always Lager (Grolsch, Oranjeboom, Castlemaine XXXX, Tennents Extra, Fosters) with us boys. Never bitter, god forbid cider and only after 8 pints was it acceptable to switch to vodka or bacardi.

Funny as now I rarely drink anything other than Bitter or Cider.

What was the bevvy of choice for those of you who like me pissed their paychecks into Busby's Urinal from 81-85?

I was a lager swilling Busby's member, f***ing loved that place.
I remember when it first opened & we thought it was more classy than Tom's.....till the Pink Coconut started. What a shite name for a club in Brighton of all places! We nicknamed it the Red Mango, which developed into just "Mango's" or the "The Mango".

Anyone else own up to wearing a paisley shirt with the button done up to the collar? Probably bought from Reporter in Duke St. This was a bit later though, mid 80's.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Slight change of tack here, only slight....as mid to late eighties.

Druids Head in The Lanes. Anyone remember Heinz the glass collector? He was old then but amazingly he has only just retired.... top boy!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
a lot of people forget
he must have been 10 years older than the lot he used to try and bully

Yep, ponced me for my 'Benno's and cash a few times. - For this enigma that he had, it kind of did his 'rep' no favours picking on kids nicking their money really.

Now subject to obvious scorn (and no public admission), we used to listen and buy music as diverse as Wham, Duran Duran, Clash, The Smiths, Echo, Cure, Big Country, ABC, Human League, Psych Furs, U2, Madonna, Haircut 100, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, Ultravox, Frankie.

What was the shop in Duke St with Red Cherries as it's emblem? Also, what was the club at the top of West St right opposite Duke St? Bentley's?

Simple minds 'Love song' and 'Promised you a miracle' followed by Once upon a time album is missing from your list i beleive. :)

I was a lager swilling Busby's member, f***ing loved that place.
I remember when it first opened & we thought it was more classy than Tom's.....till the Pink Coconut started. What a shite name for a club in Brighton of all places! We nicknamed it the Red Mango, which developed into just "Mango's" or the "The Mango".

Anyone else own up to wearing a paisley shirt with the button done up to the collar? Probably bought from Reporter in Duke St. This was a bit later though, mid 80's.

We always called it the 'Pink Helmet'

I loved my dark green paisley shirt - was it pre or post leather piano ties..:lolol:

Those late night drinking places which served chicken in a basket reminds me of 'Rains' on Kings Road, might have been a bit later tho'.

Nice thread :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here