• George W. Bush

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Baldrick

Votes: 9 8.8%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The biggest mistake we can make is thinking someone like Trump is thick. He knew exactly what the people wanted to hear and he used that to get to power.
Yes he did. However, if underestimating him helped him win, then that is in the past and we can't fix it now by pretending he's smart.

As you point out, he is not without any skill at all. He understood what it took to win an election better than the rest of us (although he also got lucky that he was up against Hilary). But he's still ****ing stupid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I guess not the president who graduated from Harvard in 1975 with an MBA, the only U.S. president to have earned one.
Earned or bought?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Like a great many powerful men, Trump is shrewd enough to employ people to be intelligent for him.
He doesn't care about showing his ignorance to the world, because he is exceptionally arrogant.
And the bottom line is he is a billionaire and the POTUS. So he can get away with it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tony Robinson net worth - $1 million (Had a cunning plan)
Leave Tony out of it.

You might want to look at how much they each started with.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Depends on how you define stupid / think / idiotic, really, doesn't it?

In this instance, I'm choosing to interpret it as "who's the most dangerously stupid to the most people?" and the answer is clearly Trump. Trump has a level of cunning, and yes intelligence at times, that when combined with his willful ignorance on a range of factors, and strong tendency to ignore (if not outright dismiss) his advisors on what is smart and what isn't ... makes him a very, very dangerously stupid man overall.

Bush Jnr, on the other hand, was a bit thick. But he also knew to listen to his advisors (most of the time) so the worst of his thickness was prevented from causing too much damage.

Finally, Baldrick: He had a unique kind of stupidity that meant he actually prevented a Trump-esque Blackadder doing more damage than he did.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The biggest mistake we can make is thinking someone like Trump is thick. He knew exactly what the people wanted to hear and he used that to get to power.

Did he? Or is it more that there’s plenty of similarly thick people in the US? I’m not convinced he’s in total control of his mind so I’m not convinced this is all tactical....far from it.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
He's a bungle**** and no mistake. However, he might well have some neurological disorder that makes him talk like a child all the time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think there's a subtle difference between being clever and being intelligent.

Trump can be very clever. He hits upon an angle that neatly captures an issue and pushes it relentlessly ('Build that wall', 'Make America Great Again'). He also ruthlessly characterises his opponents in easily remembered nicknames ('Lyin' Ted', 'Crooked Hillary' etc.). That makes him extremely effective.

But he is not very intelligent, because he has absolutely no grasp of nuance or complexity. He simply doesn't seem to understand anything that can't be framed in binary terms. And of course, like most entitled people, he has no humility and therefore no conception of the fact that he doesn't understand the issues.

Ruthlessness and cleverness, but a total lack of subtlety or complex intelligence, is why he is such a dangerous and terrifying figure, in my opinion.

And this is why idiot America voted for him.

He appeals to the narrow minded jingoism of the country. At heart the USA is the most insular nation on earth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Trump:

Clever in building personal wealth, by hook or crook.

But completely lacking in far more worthy traits in being a human - emotional intelligence, compassion, kindness and empathy. In this department, he’s a thick as they come.

But I did read somewhere a while ago that, in real terms, he has actually lost on what he inherited from his father...….

…….. but I have no idea whether that is really the case.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But I did read somewhere a while ago that, in real terms, he has actually lost on what he inherited from his father...….

…….. but I have no idea whether that is really the case.

He did, having to borrow from Russian financiers in 2008. Something he didn’t want the world to know. Giving an adversary of the USA, a hold over the future President and certainly ties.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He did, having to borrow from Russian financiers in 2008. Something he didn’t want the world to know. Giving an adversary of the USA, a hold over the future President and certainly ties.
Quite.

He's just a shit gangster. But he epitomises the "American dream" lie.

So you can sort of understand why he's popular, in a warped "oh my frikkin God!" type way.

Dubbya is just a complete moron. Thick as mince and used as a puppet by Cheney & co. He's definitely more stupid but also much less offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here