Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I loved that record and had that album on repeat 44 years ago as I was doing my first year exams. That's one of the standout tracks. However, the lyrics, now, sound really ****ing unpleasant. If I stuck that record on at home Mrs T would chase me down the garden with a breadknife and lock me in the shed.

I was listening to 'The Cops are Coming' by the Heavy Metal Kids a couple of years ago and had a 'did I really hear that?' moment. It's amazing how things that seemed OK at the time are now really not :shrug:

Back to The Stranglers, a couple of friends of mine, both with obvious African heritage, were down the Buccanneer the first time the Stranglers played in Brighton. You can guess the rest. I remember years later one of the girls telling me how uncomfortable the one particular song made them feel.

Anyway, this is not a thread to be derailed so please ignore my pontificating :thumbsup:

Interesting topic, briefly touched on in the country music thread with the “I’m on Fire” lyrics. But life can be f***ing unpleasant and if you want to express your feelings about your girlfriend cheating on you, or being chased down the garden by a maniac wielding a breadknife just because you played a song she found offensive, it’s hardly going to be a love song, is it? Songs are how we express our emotions…love, anger, hate, heartache, you name it and it’s been sang about. To lie, or sterilize something for fear of upsetting or offending, well, you’re really left with nothing. You can like or hate it, but at least you know it’s real.

I happened to be at that Buccaneer gig. I remember being a little uncomfortable, mostly because I had never been in a crowd full of so many weirdos!

Anyway, in future I will give this a lot more thought before I post any songs…:wink:

https://youtu.be/7QaC6ydpqPQ

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Lovely version, I don't think the Floyd wrote a single song after Dark Side of the Moon that wasn't either sad or angry.

This one is the former (and clearly about Syd Barrett)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmIkJgHISMo

Sad indeed. I wonder how David Gilmour feels singing that song what with he and Syd Barrett being very good friends, Gilmour replacing Barrett and Barrett's decline and ultimate death and so much more. It must feel strange to say the least. A movie could be made of the story. I'm surprised it hasn't been.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Over eight minutes of pure genius (and I will fight anyone who suggests different)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here