Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What's happened to Adam Webster.

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
I was less thinking in terms of “we should get rid of him” more him wanting to get more game time

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was less thinking in terms of “we should get rid of him” more him wanting to get more game time
That's fair enough. He won't be going anywhere in Jan, despite what one or two are saying. For one, it's unlikely he'll be fit. We'll need him for the rest of the season, as we could be playing two games a week for several weeks from March or, with a FA Cup run, even February. He's also under contract until 2026.
Over the summer, that might be a decision for him to make. There would be 6 or 8 PL clubs that would benefit from him being with them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What next ? Shipping out Solly March who’s injury record isn’t looking to rosey in the last 3 years.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Bit early to make a decision about JPvH versus Webster I would have thought. Here are JPV's stats from Wiki:

View attachment 171373
And Webster's (same source so probably the same updating limitations)
View attachment 171374

Only the coaching team actually know who’s going to play each match, but I look at Dunk paired with JPvH and I feel Webster’s got some work to do to get in at centre-back with Igor also waiting for a spot.

JPvH’s rise has been pretty meteoric, I remember seeing him getting targeted by opponents in his first couple of matches, and feeling genuine nerves when he had the ball. He’s grown fast, and now for me Dunk/JPvH would absolutely be my preferred central defence pairing.

I like Webster, I want him in the squad, I’m just not sure how many times he starts for us at CB when everyone’s fit. He may have more joy at full back for us, but that’s just conjecture on my part.

I’m not sure how many (hand on heart) would put Webster ahead of JPvH atm, I like Webster, but I couldn’t.

P.s. looking at those stats really does bring home how fast JPvH has broken through.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bit early to make a decision about JPvH versus Webster I would have thought. Here are JPV's stats from Wiki:

View attachment 171373
View attachment 171374

From the PL website, appearances 11 v 6:

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 10.09.00 pm.png

I'm not stat-savvy enough to know what this shows, except that they're different kinds of defenders, I think. I don't even know why I prefer Webster but I just do, he feels more 'physical'. He's more from the Shane Duffy school, which I loved - when he tackles you, you stay tackled. But if JPvH has an extra bit of subtlety, I'm all for it.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Him, Dunk and Burn kept us in the PL under Houghton and whilst the team as a whole has progressed, the defence haven't. Admittedly he's now likely behind JP in the pecking order but we certainly can't afford to lose his experience. Nobody has been calling to offload Lamptey yet Lamptey has been a lot more injury prone
I would really be looking at Lamptey as well , he has had a terrible time with injuries over the last 3 seasons , and you can only give a player a certain amount of time injured , but he is such a good player would be a shame to lose him to injuries

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What next ? Shipping out Solly March who’s injury record isn’t looking to rosey in the last 3 years.
Might be the case yes, he's not getting any younger and may not recover this time to play at the top level, unfortunately. Obviously he will be removed from the squad for the second half of the season, freeing up a position. Hopefully this time next year he'll be fighting fit and ready to bounce back.

We do have 4 or so players that are regularly injured, Lamptey, Webster, Lallana and Welbeck. As we have seen this season it's hard enough with others getting injured who maybe considered 1st choices let alone the squad players. I can see us cutting out some of these during the summer.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would really be looking at Lamptey as well , he has had a terrible time with injuries over the last 3 seasons , and you can only give a player a certain amount of time injured , but he is such a good player would be a shame to lose him to injuries
Can see Lamptey going unfortunately, he does though have age on his side if he can get a period free of injury.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If he doesn't suit the current playing sysyem then he should be replaced by someone who does.
He could thrive in a different set up, at Manure with Poxter, who knows.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But he isn't really perfectly good enough for the level we are playing at, is he. RDZ has publicly stated that that he is only at his best once he has a run of games to get his confidence up. Due to persistent injuries, he can't get that run of games so can't get up to speed. Plus all the while he is getting up to speed, he has a usually critical mistake in him. I'm sure he's a good voice in the dressing room and nice local guy, but as a player, his time is up unless it's as a perennial bench warmer.
Not too long ago people were saying exactly the same about Pascal Gross, although substitute lack of pace for injuries. I hope the people writing off Webster, March, Lamptey and whoever else in this thread aren’t one and the same as those expressing outrage when a player gets a big money move to another club. Loyalty works both ways and players know they get precious little from their own supporters and act accordingly.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I really don’t think Webster is as bad as he is made out to be and I’d really like to see him get a run of games and see how well he can fit into DeZerbiball before consigning him to the scrap heap. He certainly used to be capable enough at playing out from the back, so maybe he can regain that and improve?

The hard part for him is getting those games as he does seem to be behind JPvH and Igor, but he’s still a very experienced squad player and if we can keep him, and keep him fit, we should.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The hard part for him is getting those games as he does seem to be behind JPvH and Igor, but he’s still a very experienced squad player and if we can keep him, and keep him fit, we should.
we’ve been changing GK and defenders all season!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really don’t think Webster is as bad as he is made out to be and I’d really like to see him get a run of games and see how well he can fit into DeZerbiball before consigning him to the scrap heap. He certainly used to be capable enough at playing out from the back, so maybe he can regain that and improve?

I also don't think Webster is as bad as he is made out to be, but I really don't want him to have a run of games.
I don't think he fits into DeZerbiball.
He's not capable of playing out from the back in RDZ's style.
Adam isn't an intuitive one touch player, he's an excellent two touch defender, which is totally at odds with the whole teams performance.

Assuming GPott gets a top flight club (somewhere) I'm sure Webster will fit right in and will have plenty of fans at his new club

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

View attachment 171373
View attachment 171374
That’s rather out of date for JPVH, he’s played in 11 league game for us this season as well as well starting 5 of the 6 Europa League games (the one he missed was through suspension).

Not sure a list of appearances really shows much stats wise other than Webster has played a lot more games than JPVH which is to be expected. I’d much rather see a breakdown of passing, tackling stats etc to see how closely they compare taking into account JPVHs relative inexperience at this level.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He may well want to leave for additional playing time, though I doubt we’ll find someone as good as Webster who’s happy being 4th choice. Has some sketchy performances but on his day he’s excellent.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Might be the case yes, he's not getting any younger and may not recover this time to play at the top level, unfortunately. Obviously he will be removed from the squad for the second half of the season, freeing up a position. Hopefully this time next year he'll be fighting fit and ready to bounce back.

We do have 4 or so players that are regularly injured, Lamptey, Webster, Lallana and Welbeck. As we have seen this season it's hard enough with others getting injured who maybe considered 1st choices let alone the squad players. I can see us cutting out some of these during the summer.

Welbeck is not regularly injured, since his return from what was basically a career saving operation he’s missed about a dozen games with injury, in that time he’s been available for over 60 league games. In fact his overall record for us isn’t anywhere near as bad as people claim.

He’s been available for over 75% of games since he joined. Last season he played in 31 out of 38 premier league games, the highest number of games he’d played in a single season in his entire career, for an aging player with a history of injury problems his fitness levels here have been remarkable.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think Adam might be coming towards the end of his Albion stay. Very important under Potter as we transitioned away from Hughton’s low block, and grateful for some excellent performances in that back three.

I think a combination of his injury issues and some quality recruitment means his game time will be limited even when fit.

He is now behind Dunk, Van Hecke, Igor and likely Veltman as centre-back options in my opinion, and I don’t think he’ll want to stay as 5th choice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s rather out of date for JPVH, he’s played in 11 league game for us this season as well as well starting 5 of the 6 Europa League games (the one he missed was through suspension).

Not sure a list of appearances really shows much stats wise other than Webster has played a lot more games than JPVH which is to be expected. I’d much rather see a breakdown of passing, tackling stats etc to see how closely they compare taking into account JPVHs relative inexperience at this level.
Fair enough. I thought I'd do some back of an envelope research having raised an eyebrow over the seemingly blithe dismissal by some of Webster, now JPV has 'emerged'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here