Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What The Hell Is A Gammon?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Is ignoring 2 threads difficult ?

Not at all, but if unchecked BREXIT pops up into most threads and I, for one, am sick of all the hatred, lies, claims and counter claims that seem to make fairly rational people unnecessarily argumentative and aggressive. I'm not alone in wishing this board to be primarily football based

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It only took one Gammon to spam a thread about Gammon with Brexity stuff, and someone to bite obvs. The original thread content was quite amusing.

I wonder what the term is for a spamming Gammon?

Meathead?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It only took one Gammon to spam a thread about Gammon with Brexity stuff, and someone to bite obvs. The original thread content was quite amusing.

Meathead?

Spammon?

I'll get the door myself...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with most of what you've said in this post, but:
1, in the last few decades there has been a plethora of anti-TU legislation and, unsurprisingly, lowered worker income as a share of the national economy
2, the gammons are at the vanguard of equality for women, etc
3, the Boomers have pretty much ignored climate change, biodiversity loss, anthropocene, etc -- although you could level the same accusation at my generation (X).
I really have to disagree with point c. We (if I include myself as a Boomer for the sake of argument) were really concerned. We used to have earnest discussions about the 'ecosphere' (as we used to call the overall environment), we were worried about intensive farming and the use of pesticides such as DDT. And we were REALLY worried about pollution.

That's not everybody obviously, some were just happy to live in the supermarket society, but the idea that no one cared about the environment (or did anything about it) until about 1990 is total bollocks. (Not that you're saying that, but in these discussions it's often implied if not actually stated). And no we didn't do anything specific about climate change, but then the Victorians weren't that hot on Gay Rights either. Each generation deals with what it thinks is wrong and tries to change it.

Jan 30, 2008
Would a white fella go up to and admonish a black person for calling another black person the N word. Would a white person say to that black man “you are being racist”?
No. Of course they wouldn’t so please don’t pretend to get all offended when I, a middle aged white man, call another middle aged white man a gammon.

Of course it’s derogatory, it’s meant to insult clueless, objectionable, angry, bigots. It’s not meant to be nice.

Are you ok honky???

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is it merely one of the latest words used against someone who has a different opinion.

If I think the sky is blue today, and you say it's grey, then we can throw terms like gammon, woke, snowflake, boomer at each other until we tire of it. I'm deliberately picking something placid like the sky as a topic, but obviously this is more likely to be when stating views on party politics, the EU etc.

Maybe I'm just not paying attention properly, though. Which probably makes me a gammon/woke/snowflake/boomer or something else, I've as yet not come across.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
but they are not judged on their gender or race, or even their politics, for example Mark Francois holds largely the same political views as Jacob Rees-Mogg, Mogg is not Gammon though, and it is not because he is upper class, it is because he states his nasty views calmly.

Mogg is more charcuterie.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is it merely one of the latest words used against someone who has a different opinion.

Not really. Not all Brexiters, for example, are gammon. There are many with perfectly valid issues with the EU who can express them in perfectly erudite and polite ways. Whereas "gammon" is usually reserved for the "bloody foreigners, why are they all coming here, stealing our jobs, I blame those traitorous Remoaners who all vote Jeremy Corbyn coz he wants the terrorists to win" type Brexiter, the above said at increasing pace and with increasing fury at their imagined enemy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Meathead?

I'm guessing 'droopy', as in Droopy Rectum, or Droopy Spam-Schinken

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Admiral Lord Nelson had a crew of 22 different nationalities on HMS Victory at Trafalgar.

English Maltese Brazilian Irish Dutch Norwegian Scottish German Indian Welsh West Indian Danish American Jamaican Manx Italian Swiss Canadian French African Swedish Portuguese.

Cooperation with other countries is a great asset in a battle.

https://www.hms-victory.com/restoration-log/hms-victory-and-her-crew-battle-trafalgar

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
HWT uses it all the time, without any sense of irony either. I struggle to see why he’s allowed to and it’s widely deemed acceptable to describe white middle aged males yet anyone calling someone of a non white skin colour would be rightly pilloried. Perhaps it should be banned by NSC? It hardly adds to the quality of debate and is deliberately used to provoke and slur someone’s opinion in a lazy stereotypical manner.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pretty much covers it but a true Gammon would also think Jeremy Clarkson should be running the country...oh and really doesn't like Greta Thunberg,

It's a stereotype of course but many people can recognise it in the last five years in particular. The pictures in this thread show BBC Question Time audience members. You can choose your stereotype if you watch it...personally gave up years ago.

HWT uses it all the time, without any sense of irony either. I struggle to see why he’s allowed to and it’s widely deemed acceptable to describe white middle aged males yet anyone calling someone of a non white skin colour would be rightly pilloried. Perhaps it should be banned by NSC? It hardly adds to the quality of debate and is deliberately used to provoke and slur someone’s opinion in a lazy stereotypical manner.

Just find a seat anywhere at the back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here