Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What no *England v India" official Thread...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Bresnan is quite a decent batsman. His first class average is around 28.

His test average is 37.85! (Granted, he has only seven innings to his name)

I was rather scathing when Bresnan was first brought in. I had visions of a decent county trundler having a few stinkers and then getting binned. Delighted he has proven me wrong.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
682-6. That is a massive score and it isn't finished yet. The biggest England score I can remember was something like 660 and I reckon that must be at least 20 years ago.

You're thinking of the game against India when Gooch hit 333 and England scored 653-4.India just saved the follow-on when Kapil Dev hit Eddie Hemmings for 24 in one over. Gooch then hit another ton in the second innings.

This 710 is England's third highest score and highest ever in a non-timeless test. England can't win this by a record margin as that was by innings and 579 runs when they beat Australia in 1938 but that was a timeless test. If they can dismiss India for under 200, that would be England's record margin in a 5-day test.

I can't see India taking this to a fifth day - around 3.30 I reckon but just sneaking past the 200 mark.

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
I heard about that, there were 4 balls left in the over, 24 to avoid the follow on, 9 down and Dev smashed 4 sixes. The first ball of the next over the number 11 was out, India finished on 454. That game must have been a draw surely?

Hemming's bowling was'nt bad either, the 3rd and 4th ball were decent deliveries.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I heard about that, there were 4 balls left in the over, 24 to avoid the follow on, 9 down and Dev smashed 4 sixes. The first ball of the next over the number 11 was out, India finished on 454. That game must have been a draw surely?

No, England won by 247 runs

EDIT: Just looked it up - Tendulkar was playing in that game - he's been at the receiving end of two of England's highest scores

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Will India bat out 2 days, if Tendulkar and Dravid put their minds to it they are both capable of getting a big score and holding us up
Not a chance. Even though they are fine batsmen, they will get some unplayable deliveries in those two days.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I would like to see Sachin get a ton. But I can see England bowing India very cheaply tomorrow.

Won't happen. This is a man who is over the hill. We've seen the best of Sachin I'm afraid. As for this lot batting two days? They haven't yet made 300 in any innings. It's a turning strip with some variable bounce and they have proven themselves to be gutless. No chance sorry. Perhaps 5 years ago but not now - not outside India.

Delighted that we are drubbing India but disappointed they haven't put up more of a defence. Pathetic that the media have to focus on Kumar - an affable but seriously average international cricketer - as a shining light of effort and resistence.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Won't happen. This is a man who is over the hill. We've seen the best of Sachin I'm afraid. As for this lot batting two days? They haven't yet made 300 in any innings. It's a turning strip with some variable bounce and they have proven themselves to be gutless. No chance sorry. Perhaps 5 years ago but not now - not outside India...

Oh dear :jester:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
You're thinking of the game against India when Gooch hit 333 and England scored 653-4.India just saved the follow-on when Kapil Dev hit Eddie Hemmings for 24 in one over. Gooch then hit another ton in the second innings.

This 710 is England's third highest score and highest ever in a non-timeless test. England can't win this by a record margin as that was by innings and 579 runs when they beat Australia in 1938 but that was a timeless test. If they can dismiss India for under 200, that would be England's record margin in a 5-day test.

I can't see India taking this to a fifth day - around 3.30 I reckon but just sneaking past the 200 mark.

If the ball continues moving like it did when KP and Swann had it last night, then I think your right, 3.30ish, but in a way I hope the ST spanks the bowling to hit a quick 100 as he deserves it for his services to cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here