Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Death at Seaworld - David Kirby. Throughly recommended to anyone with an interest in animals or who had watched the Blackfish documentary.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gironimo by Tim Moore.

Tim Moore could write about literally anything and I'd read it.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Just finished 'The Sociopath next door'

now moved on to 'Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of Psychopaths among us'

Very Interesting reads.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
I love Ancient Roman time books, any recommendations?

There's an absolutely brilliant two-volume novel by Waldemar Łysiak--Ostatnia kohorta (The Last Cohort); it's about a group of desperate Roman soldiers, in the 5th century AD, who are looking for half-mythical "last legion" (the last legion that allegedly survived the barbarian onslaught) to bring it to the walls of Rome and save the city. The group is led by consul Valerianus and Rome's best soldier, Fulvius Corvinus "Soter" (also known as "god of war") and their journey through barbarian Europe is full of adventures.

ostatnia-kohorta-tom-i-ii-b-iext3751318.jpg

I have no idea if there is an English translation, but if there is you should really read it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Picked up 'Hammer Of The Gods - Led Zeppelin Unauthorized' cheap as chips in HMV. Good read! A few Sussex mentions so far such as Jimmy Page owning Plumpton Place and the band playing Brighton Dome in December 1972 and doing an encore of Xmas carols!

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Can't believe I have put off reading this for so long. Highly recommended. Grossman was a Soviet writer and Russian front war correspondent and weaves the fate of fictional characters against real events and figures. Think it was smuggled out to the West in the 80s.

image.jpg

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The Pythons: The Autobiography. A great read so far, hoping to get tickets for their O2 show.

Just finished The Sleepwalkers as I wanted to get to the bottom of reasons for WWI, some very interesting if somewhat torturous passages concerning Serbian and Austro-Hungarian politics. Gives an extremely good account of contemporary problems and issues: however, rather glosses over Berlin-Baghdad railway but highlights the madness of Colonialism very well. The information about Italian invasion of Libya and Russian concerns re Bosphorus strait is revealing. Two men seem to be very prominent in the story; Franz Joseph and Conrad Von Hötzendorf who persistently wanted a 'preventative war' against Serbia. The ruling aristocracy of Austro-Hungarian Empire were clearly extremely delusional. The consequences of aggressive foreign policy have never gone away. Well worth ploughing through.

Last edited:

Watching War Films With My Dad - Al Murray (aka the Pub Landlord).

A book that is not quite sure what it wants to be - part bio, part musings on war both real and as depicted in the movies. Not the best book I have ever read but I enjoyed it. As one who does get a bit anally retentive about how certain things are depicted in films (trains/railways in my case) I can identify with some of his sentiments.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The condition of the working class in England 1844. Fred Engels. Wonderful social commentary, and a radical view written at the time- as opposed to retrospective revisionism.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Build a Bonfire.....actually just finished it today. Thank you Amazon!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Married Lovers

Personal trainer Cameron Paradise flees Hawaii and her abusive champion-surfer husband, Gregg, (he's a *******) and makes her way to L.A (Los Angeles). With her to-die-for looks (she is very attractive in my imagination), it doesn’t take Cameron long to find a job at an exclusive private fitness club (not a brothel). Every man she meets comes on to her (see above), but Cameron is more focused on opening her own studio one day than getting caught up in the L.A (Los Angeles) scene of wild parties and recreational drugs (poppers etc).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bill Bryson - One Summer

Excellent read and usual very amusing narrative, he writes very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here