Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just got into the latest Lee Child - Never Go Back.

Am halfway through. Up to his usual standard. I have erased from my mind the filmic debacle with the midget.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Just about to read the last chapter in this. Brilliant read.

51Akh8tOxrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I see Bryson has a new book out shortly, will wait for the paperback version.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Just finished Kerouac's On The Road (second read, and took it in more), and will now delve into Sillitoe's The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner and accompanying short stories and poem :)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just finished Kerouac's On The Road (second read, and took it in more), and will now delve into Sillitoe's The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner and accompanying short stories and poem :)

Sillitoe is a damn good writer - I've read most of his novels and short story collections and feel he should have a bigger reputation than he does.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
just started on Steve Hamilton's latest Alex McKnight novel Let It Burn. A series really worth checking out.

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013

I'm not an advocate of 'beat generation' literature. I find the poetry created in 1950's counter culture America dull and unappealing however revealing it certainly is. The first novel I read from this demographic was Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs and it confirmed my theory that i've always maintained that there's nothing more boring than someone else's drug stories/experiences - it's tedious. On The Road, however, i enjoyed as far as it kept me entertained. I really do understand why people perceive this to be a seminal work in literature; i guess it just doesn't float my boat, as it were.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I'm not an advocate of 'beat generation' literature. I find the poetry created in 1950's counter culture America dull and unappealing however revealing it certainly is. The first novel I read from this demographic was Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs and it confirmed my theory that i've always maintained that there's nothing more boring than someone else's drug stories/experiences - it's tedious. On The Road, however, i enjoyed as far as it kept me entertained. I really do understand why people perceive this to be a seminal work in literature; i guess it just doesn't float my boat, as it were.

I know what you are saying, it's just that Beat writing should (if you so wish?) be taken in the context of when it was written. Early post-war USA, and the rest of the world, was going through massive changes, and this maelstrom heralded the genesis of critical theory and debate, due to the dismantling of the class system here, and the beginning of free-thinking enlightenment (fuelled by hallucinogens in some cases) over there

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Operation Mincemeat - Ben Macintyre

A True Spy Story during World War 2.

JUst started it but already hooked.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Just reading The Shining ahead of the new Stephen King coming out "Doctor Sleep", which is a sequel to The Shining.

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
I certainly appreciate the context, however, it doesn't grab me and fully absorb me in the way I know it does for others. It is, for sure, an important era in literature that has to be valued for that very fact but it doesn't appeal to the senses the same way other prose does. A matter of taste, i'm sure.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Re-reading The Wasteland - TS Eliot. Won't take long - less than 500 lines long, but dense with meaning. But what exactly DOES it all mean??

"Misfortune" by Wesley Stace, aka "John Wesley Harding" talented songwriter born in Hastings. Have only just started it.

Bizzare plot premise, but then his most recent novel -"By George" has a ventriloquists dummy as one of the key characters who occasionally chips in to the narrative!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here