Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Brentford better than Brighton

The Brightonomnicon by Robert Rankin

Didn't really like this, preferred Knees Up Mother Earth (also in the Brentford Trilogy) - maybe because I follow the Bees as well as the Seagulls.

I'm just finishing Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl, prompted by watching some of the tales repeated on TV recently; fiendishly clever stories with a twist at the end.

Before that I read Harpo Speaks! Incredible what the Marx brother got up to after leaving school aged 8, nice writing style as well.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The long war. Sequel to the long earth. Terry pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

Very good...quantum physics based stuff of billions of earths and stepping between them.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Just off on my cruise for two weeks. Taking "Penguins Stopped Play" thanks to this thread's recommendation. Plus a Robert Twigger book- Angry White Pyjamas, again from a recommendation. Anyone read Robert Twigger?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Robert Harris Lustrum

Second in his Roman trilogy, and a fine read it is too

Have also read his Fatherland, Archangel, the Ghost and The Fear Index which all go along at a cracking pace :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Robert Harris Lustrum

Second in his Roman trilogy, and a fine read it is too

Have also read his Fatherland, Archangel, the Ghost and The Fear Index which all go along at a cracking pace :)

I hope he gets around to do the third part....he represents Cicero as a hero type figure, which is in stark contrast to pliny, Plutarch, etc ie roman authors of the period...of course they were slanting their opinions for the ruling classes of the time and Cicero was, although an equestrian himself, was quite self centred.

I am just about to re-read Build A Bonfire.

I need to remind myself of where we were and what happened, because right now where we are and what's happening worries me.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I hope he gets around to do the third part....he represents Cicero as a hero type figure, which is in stark contrast to pliny, Plutarch, etc ie roman authors of the period...of course they were slanting their opinions for the ruling classes of the time and Cicero was, although an equestrian himself, was quite self centred.

I checked his Wiki page, and the third installment is being written atm, and is due out this year. Wish I'd read the initial installment first...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I am reading a fairly easy read historical novel series by Frederik Nath, Barbarian Warlord Saga....I am on the third book, the fourth us due out soon......its not bad considering there us a raft of similar ancient Rome and Greece type books out there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I checked his Wiki page, and the third installment is being written atm, and is due out this year. Wish I'd read the initial installment first...

Thank goodness for that. It's been ages.

Btw if you like historical fact/ fiction...try manfreddi..Alexander trilogy. That is brilliant.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
A book detailing the Mossad's hunt for Nazi War Criminal Adolf Eichmann. Tasked with managing the logistics for the exportation of millions of jews to ghettos and extermination camps the Israel Intelligence Service proved relentless in there hunt for the former Obersturmbannfuhrer

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Finished :
Fabrice Muamba : I'm still standing - didn't find out anything I didn't know already from watching the ITV documentary but still an enjoyable read.
Simon Goddard : Ziggyology - very enjoyable read this - follows the ideas and bringing together of Ziggy Stardust right from the start of the World.

Currently reading Faithful: Two Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season - decent read considering I'm not really a baseball fan.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Just off on my cruise for two weeks. Taking "Penguins Stopped Play" thanks to this thread's recommendation. Plus a Robert Twigger book- Angry White Pyjamas, again from a recommendation. Anyone read Robert Twigger?

Is 'Angry White Pyjamas' about Robert Twigger about living in Japan and progressing through a martial arts (karate?) school there? It was several years ago but recall it was light reading and enjoyable for the cultural differences. On the basis of that I then read his book about capturing a huge anaconda but didn't find that as interesting.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Rereading Anansi Boys

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here