Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Just started Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. Quite a few volumes in the saga. Hoping it's going to be another Game of Thrones type series. Anyone recommend it or not?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Well if you want a lighter read - another one just read is A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks. Goes along at a decent pace - and uses the helpful device of listing the main characters over two pages in the opening chapter. Nothing consequential mind.

Indeed. Hard to believe this is the same author who wrote one of the best novels ever - Birdsong.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall.

Great writing, but difficult because there are so many characters (even though she 'helpfully' lists them at the beginning!).

Incidentally, whenever I see a picture of Hilary Mantel, I always think of the front of a Ford Anglia :D

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just started Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. Quite a few volumes in the saga. Hoping it's going to be another Game of Thrones type series. Anyone recommend it or not?

I have read all of them.....they are extremely violent and if you get away from his anti communism style, they are very good. ( but you can get very annoyed!!!)

Shame you didnt say so before, I gave them all away to the local YMCA and they were all just read once ( hardbacks)

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall.

Great writing, but difficult because there are so many characters (even though she 'helpfully' lists them at the beginning!).

Incidentally, whenever I see a picture of Hilary Mantel, I always think of the front of a Ford Anglia :D

I'm reading this. Great book, but slow going as i keep needing to reread paragraphs to double check i understand the characters motives correctly.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Reading my war through the Millenium trilogy (The girl with the Dragon Tattoo et al) by Stieg Larsson. I'm not the best reader in the world but i zoomed through the first book over Crimbo even with all the distractions of the period.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'm reading this. Great book, but slow going as i keep needing to reread paragraphs to double check i understand the characters motives correctly.

Glad it's not just me, then:thumbsup:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Reading my war through the Millenium trilogy (The girl with the Dragon Tattoo et al) by Stieg Larsson. I'm not the best reader in the world but i zoomed through the first book over Crimbo even with all the distractions of the period.

All 3 are Cracking reads :)

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I have read all of them.....they are extremely violent and if you get away from his anti communism style, they are very good. ( but you can get very annoyed!!!)

Shame you didnt say so before, I gave them all away to the local YMCA and they were all just read once ( hardbacks)

Thank you GW. Seems promising. I have the first 3 books(bought in a charity shop-paperback so not yours). I received about £90 in Amazon/kindle vouchers for Xmas so threads like this are invaluable to trawl through for recommendations.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
"State of emergency. The way we were: Britain 1970-1974" by Dominic Sandbrook. Bloody fascinating

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Ash - James Herbert

The Grand Master of Horror delivers once again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here