Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Incendiary by Chris Cleave. A widow writes an open letter to Osama bin laden, after losing her husband and son after suicide bombers blow up the emirates stadium. Very good!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Finished
George Best : Scoring at half-time it was ok , very much a bog book - funny in places but nothing really new.
Passion is a Fashion: The Real Story of the Clash is a must read , anyone who is a music fan should check this out , what a band.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Dave Spikey's autobiography Under The Microscope.

Bought from Poundland, I thought it was going to be a pile of shite for a quid but it's got some great chapters in the book about his life as a comedian in Bolton, working with Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights and some real laugh-out-loud moments. :laugh:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
images

About survival in Pol Pot's regime in Cambodia. A time from which the consequences come up sometimes in the news, but I know nothing about. This is an attempt to rectify my ignorance.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I'd like to know what you think of it, I've got the audiobook on my iPod but I've not started it yet 'cause it's over 38 hours long!
Only 100 pages into a 1000-ish page book, but liking it so far. Fast-paced, techno-thriller.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Just finished "The Litigators" by John Grisham. Found it a bit tedious and very obvious. 4/10

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Dave Spikey's autobiography Under The Microscope.

Bought from Poundland, I thought it was going to be a pile of shite for a quid but it's got some great chapters in the book about his life as a comedian in Bolton, working with Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights and some real laugh-out-loud moments. :laugh:

Found Peter Kay's biog in a charity shop on Sunday. Was hungover to f*** nd it was 30p so nabbed it. Spent the day reading it in it's entirety and just the ticket for a hangover day. Really, really enjoyed it and know a lot of the places he writes about in Bolton. Needed a light read after a few heavy books. A good, lighthearted read.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Depeche Mode: A Biography by Steve Mallins.

Managed to get a lot of inside info on their history, found it quite interesting reading about a band I was a fan of but didn't know much about, also helps to explain why they are SO much bigger in Europe than in the UK. 8/10

Still trying to struggle through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo , enjoying it but just often reading it too late at night and finding it hard to keep up with all the characters etc early on.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I've started reading the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo - beginning with The Redbreast. It is pretty confusing as it switches between World War II and the modern day and as with the Millennium series I am struggling getting to grips with the characters names, different towns etc. But I think I will carry on reading it and hope it all makes sense towards the end!

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
'brilliant Communication Skills' (sic) by Gill Hasson 2012

'What the best communicators know, do and say'

These self-improvement books are two a penny, but this one is easy to read, concise and simple to put into practice, and can be used as a handy reference for any situations you find yourself in...

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
"William the Conqueror" by Peter Rex
blooming complicated but really good plenty of murder and mayhem
just about to read about the Battle itself
it seems we owe him plenty

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Just about to go on cruise later in the month and have taken the recommendations from this NSC thread. So, I am taking a Philip Kerr Bernie Gunther and a Jo Nesbo novel, carefully sourced from the Charity shops. Not my normal cup of tea as I'm a Sci-fi or fantasy kind of person. Will report back later.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Just managed to get to the end of 'Taking Le Tiss', his autobiog.

f***ing shit, even allowing for the fact that it's him.

Every tedious anecdote starts with "I remember when" - the journo who 'helped' him write it, didn't even bother to try any different approaches.

Guaranteed bestseller over here though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here