Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Cops And Robbers by Donald E. Westlake who, under his pseudonym Richard Stark, wrote the unrivalled Parker series. Hard boiled heaven.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
im reading this at the moment aswell, same as you, enjoying it a lot, but hard to remember the vangers. im looking forward to getting it finished so that i can watch the film as ive been told the film is excellent.

If you are anything like me I had to get the two sequel books as soon as I had finished the first, just to find out what happened as they continue the story where the previous left off. You won't be disappointed.

I thought the original film (with subtitles unfortunately) of the first book was pretty good and was recently on either Channel 4 or Film 4. I certainly found something about Lisbeth more attractive in that rather than the Daniel Craig version.

If you enjoy the Larsson trilogy then you would probably like the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo (eg 'The Snowman'). I also liked 'Mercy' by Jussi Adler-Olsson which is maybe quite not as extreme. All feature a rather dysfunctional Detective character but are good. I think they are edgier than Peter James whose stuff I love but are getting a bit predictable.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
This is a life changing book that I dare anyone to read. If you can find a copy

eric lomax, enemy my friend

del_boy

Jul 3, 2012
BN1
Drugs - Without the Hot Air: Minimizing the Harms of Legal and Illegal Drugs

Prof David Nutt was appointed chairman of the UK Government's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), in 2008. In 2009 he published an editorial in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, comparing the harms caused by horse-riding with the effect of taking ecstasy. As a result of this and other comments on the harms caused by legal and illegal drugs, he was sacked by the then Home Secretary. In "Drugs - without the hot air", Prof Nutt puts the case for an evidence-based scientific approach to drugs. In straightforward languages for the lay person, he explains what drugs are, how they affect the body and the mind, and why people take them and get addicted to them. He shows how we can quantify the overall harms of a drug, addressing issues from direct danger of death, through to environmental, financial and family factors, to obtain a true indication of the overall effect of a drug. Then, working from the facts, he recommends how society ought to address drugs and drug-taking, to minimize the harms at every level. * How do drugs act on the mind and body? * Which is the worst drug of all? * What is addiction? How do drugs become addictive? How can addiction be treated? * Why did Native Indians never get addicted to smoking but we do? * Drugs of the future: alcohol substitutes. * cognition enhancers for memory intellect. * Why did Queen Victoria take cannabis and cocaine? * Does making drugs illegal work? If not, should drugs be sold in supermarkets instead? * Psychedelics for creativity: should scientists take LSD? (Kary Mullis and Francis Crick did.) * Performance drugs in sport. * Where to find help if you need it. * What should I tell my children about drugs? And when? * How much does the War on Drugs cost? What unintended consequences does it have? Is it effective? * Not all drugs harm equally. We need to quantify the harms of each and every drug. Then we can make informed decisions regarding our choice of lifestyle, and policymakers can take a rational approach to legislation on alcohol, cocaine, heroin, tobacco etc. A potential deep rift between governments' need to appear tough on drugs on the one hand, and a rational evidence-based approach to drugs legislation and treatment, could have very damaging consequences.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Just finished the fourth book in "The Game of Thrones" series - three to go!

Never been so hooked as this!

I've borrowed the first 3 off my dad, jesus they're hard going. You really have to commit to them don't you!!!! I've given up, and returning them to my dear papa who has got all of them (I think)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Currently reading The Bourne Legacy, book 4 in the series. I like the story, it is poignant and worth telling. I was sceptical that continuing the story was a mistake, Ludlum wrote the first three but none of the following ones and clearly meant for book 3 to be the conclusion. But this feels like a continuation of the Ludlum story rather than a forced effort to generate cash. I don't understand why the fourth Bourne film is named after the book, however. The first bore some resemblance to the book but the second and third films, named the same as the books, have absolutely nothing even remotely similar as the story in the books. I also think they missed a very big trick with this film, they could easily have set up the fifth, which apparently WILL have Matt Damon back as Bourne, by following even just the simplest of plots from book four. But, no. They thought here we go, Jeremy Renner is in, let's go mental. Looks like a generic film from the trailers, the books deserve much more than the films have offered.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Andrew Marr's The Diamond Queen

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Recently finished Paul Millmore's excellent guide to The South Downs Way. Read (and walked!) it, cover to cover :wornout:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Will finish William Boyd's Ordinary Thunderstorms tonight, and then start Jonathan Frantzen's The Corrections.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
About to start reading Secret Days - code breaking in Bletchley Park by (Lord) Asa Briggs

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
'A Race for Madmen' by Chris Sidwells - the history of the Tour de France. Only just started it but so far very interesting.

The first official TdF in 1903 was 2,428 kilometres split into only 6 stages with the longest stage being 471km! No smooth tarmac, just rutted gravel tracks. Heavy steel framed bikes with only one gear. Makes Wiggo and co look like softies (which they aren't of course).

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
My brother bought me A Race For Madmen for my birthday, knowing I am interested in Le Tour De France.
I prefer novels normally, but this book is brilliant.
Amazing stories from the early years of the Tour, when there was no support and incredibly tough rules. Like the rider whose bike was wrecked so borrowed one off a woman spectator for the remaining 100km, and still won the stage.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Bloody hell -How spooky is that?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
A Race for Madmen: yep - I'm normally a bit wary of books about sports topics (apart from essential Albion related reading of course) but this one is highly recommended.

Makes you really appreciate the history of the event and the significance of Wiggo's recent achievements. Should be essential reading for anyone interested in cycling.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Halfway through Perfect People by Peter James, quite a scary insight into the possibilities of designer babies, well researched as with all his books and took him 10 years to write.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Read Clive Cussler's Spartan Gold last week, which is a good, fast paced thriller, and am currently reading Mario Puzo's Omerta, which is ticking over nicely :smile:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Creole Bell by James Lee Burke. The latest Robicheaux novel. A writer at the very peak of his powers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here