Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just finished Rivers Of London. Would not rate it that highly. Thought it was a Victorian crime novel but it turned into some Harry Potter style shit. Santa bought me Do It For Your Mum which I will start next. Its The Story of British Sea Power written by Roy Wilkinson who is elder brother and one time manager of the group. Lots of references to places and people of Brighton/lewes. Printed in a limited run of 2011 I have got copy number 1361. For those that are interested!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Herodotus - The Histories.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Viva La Madness by JJ Connolly - the sequel to Layer Cake & just as good.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I'm such a frustrating reader - I get part way through more than one book at a time based on whats at hand in various locations.

Current commuting read is the new Jonathan Wilson Brian Clough Biography - Nobody ever says thank you. Utterly compelling and all the better for having been written by one of the last old school football journalists who writes good prose as well as presenting the facts.

Also on the go with Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane - far better than the film which I thought was superb. I love it when a film comes from a book and I didn't know about it because you get the chance to relive it as it was meant to be taken.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just started a book given to me for Christmas called "A schoolboys war in Sussex" by James Roffey (the eponymous schoolboy). Tells the experiences of the author as a child evacuated from Peckham to Pullborough in WWII. Only read the first chapter last night, but hooked already.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'Matilda' by Roald Dahl. Hadn't read it for about 23 years.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Got about 100 pages through the Jonathan Wilson 'Nobody Ever Says Thank You' Brian Clough Biography before impatiently deciding to read 'We Want Falmer!' before continuing. Over halfway through that now. What an effort from all involved. After these two I will read 'The Dice Man' by Luke Rhinehart.

Just got a Kindle. Am avoiding the temptation to overload it with everything I ever wanted to read, but haven't got round to yet.

So far... just The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: The Robin Friday Story by Paul McGuigan and Paolo Hewitt; and The Death of Rural England: A Social History of the Countryside Since 1900 by Alun Howkins (who is a mate of mine).

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Got the latest Wilbur Smith for Xmas. Hungry as the Sea, gonna start reading it tonite

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I am currently on my third Stuart MacBride book called Dying Light.
As a Peter James/Roy Grace fan and having read all the Roy Grace books, Stuart MacBride/Logan McRae set in Aberdeen is the closest I have found to the Roy Grace series.

"By George" by Wesley Stace, 2/3 of the way through and an excellent read - I won't try and explain the story line other than to say that a ventriloquist's dummy is one of the main characters.

Wesley Stace hails from Hastings I believe and is perhaps better known as singer songwriter John Wesley Harding. He has an album out at the moment "The sound of his own voice" which is also rather good. In the words of I. Drury esq, "...there ain't 'alf been some clever bastards...".

A book titled "We want Falmer" is next on my reading list, I have heard that it is rather good and has a nice ending.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
godDelusionUK2001.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"The Gruffalo's Child."

...about a hundred f***ing times a night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here