Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just finished Adam (of the Ants) autobiog - Seaford name-checked no less than three times by the Antmeister, and am now moving onto the autobiog of the guy on whom the film 127 Hours was based.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Dead Mans Grip - Peter James.
Even the new statdium gets a mention. Good lad!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Racing Through the Dark: The Fall and Rise of David Millar.
It being Le Tour, and all that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hitler's Willing Executioners

god it's depressing

.. and rather shoddily researched. It's been denounced by just about every historian.

It will always be a special book to me though. It's the book I was reading as I waited in the queue at the Goldstone for tickets for the Doncaster match and it will always have that association.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
.. and rather shoddily researched. It's been denounced by just about every historian.

It will always be a special book to me though. It's the book I was reading as I waited in the queue at the Goldstone for tickets for the Doncaster match and it will always have that association.

May I suggest this as your next read Gwylan?

the-man-in-the-queue.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Keith Richards' auto biography, Life. Very good read even if like me, you're not a huge Stones fan.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
May I suggest this as your next read Gwylan?

the-man-in-the-queue.jpg

:lolol:

Excellent.

is that right? have to have a look into that

"Goldhagen demonstrates a remarkable, one could even say cavalier tendency, to
ignore, to reject and to criticize any material which does not fit into his model of description
and interpretation. His methodological approach indicates this. He admits to having
discounted “all self-exculpating testimony that finds no corroboration from other sources”.
The German-Canadian historian Ruth Bettina Birn has—in collaboration with Volker Rieß—
checked his archival sources from Ludwigsburg.
Their findings confirm the arbitrary nature
of his selection and evaluation of records. In an attempt to silence Ruth Bettina Birn, if not to
undermine the professional and economic existence of one of his most profound critics,
Goldhagen and his lawyer moved swiftly and threatened defamation action" (Konrad Kwiet)

or "Although the book is popular with the general public, and it was awarded the distinction of "best dissertation of the year" by the American Political Science Association, it has failed to win accolades from its most important audience -- professional historians and Holocaust scholars, most of whom regard the book as deeply flawed (the great majority of the reviews in print, or posted on the Internet discussion groups of professional historians, have been very critical)." Roland Wagner

A few good comments here

http://www.h-net.org/~german/discuss/goldhagen/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here