Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just finished 'The Ruins' that I picked up at BHF shop in London Road for £1.50. Heart sort of sank when I realised it was by Haywards Heath guy Mat Osman, bass player with Suede. To be fair, there's some small patches of decent writing in there. But mostly not.

Just about to embark on revisiting this cheap local cash-in after many a year. Quite looking forward to it actually 🙂

Will report back :thumbsup:

View attachment 156468
As promised, just reporting back on GULLHANGER. Sad to say it's aged about as well as 20 year old milk. It's still as trite and shite, annoying and cloying as it was in 2002. All the Falmer For All players of the time get a name-check and it is a sort of half-arsed semi-record of the Double Championes season written by a guy who clearly just started following the Albion so he could whip it up into some kind of book deal. Had to bail out after a couple of dozen pages. It's a Poundshop Fever Pitch and - unless anyone wants it (let us know soonest) - my copy will be going on a long overdue trip to landfill next binday :wave:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Not 'a reader' really, but if I hear about a book that sounds like it has a wow factor I'll give it a go...

Sorry if fixtures but "Piranesi" by Susanna Clarke is brilliant...

Evokes images that could be musically John Foxx or cinematically Last Year at Marienbad

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Just started reading Dune by Frank Herbert.

Watched the movie last year and thought it was really good but only just got around to picking up the books.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Just started reading Dune by Frank Herbert.

Watched the movie last year and thought it was really good but only just got around to picking up the books.

I love Dune, and would recommend it to anyone who's a sci fi fan.

I'd also recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, which is another epic sci fi tale.

Anyone looking for a shorter sci fi tale, I would recommend Adrian Tchaikovsky's Elder Race, which was one of the best things I read last year.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One of my favourite writers. This one doesn’t disappoint.

Attachments

• 9C8DA20E-204F-417C-8F6B-DCC5F343ACEA.jpeg
    9C8DA20E-204F-417C-8F6B-DCC5F343ACEA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I love Dune, and would recommend it to anyone who's a sci fi fan.

I'd also recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, which is another epic sci fi tale.

Anyone looking for a shorter sci fi tale, I would recommend Adrian Tchaikovsky's Elder Race, which was one of the best things I read last year.
Have you read Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time? Very good, - Ive recently finished the second in the trilogy now too.....

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Have you read Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time? Very good, - Ive recently finished the second in the trilogy now too.....
'Children of Time' was the last book I read actually and it was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed that. He's a very clever and elegant writer. You should definitely check out Elder Race if you like his writing.

I do plan to read the rest of the Children of Time series, but I'm currently reading Becky Chambers 'A closed and common orbit', the second in her Wayfarer series. I think I'll alternate between the two trilogy's until I finish them both.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Sigma protocol. Robert Ludlum.
Found it in a charity shop.
20 years old but fantastic

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
India's Unending Journey - Mark Tully

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Rhine - Ben Coates

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As promised, just reporting back on GULLHANGER. Sad to say it's aged about as well as 20 year old milk. It's still as trite and shite, annoying and cloying as it was in 2002. All the Falmer For All players of the time get a name-check and it is a sort of half-arsed semi-record of the Double Championes season written by a guy who clearly just started following the Albion so he could whip it up into some kind of book deal. Had to bail out after a couple of dozen pages. It's a Poundshop Fever Pitch and - unless anyone wants it (let us know soonest) - my copy will be going on a long overdue trip to landfill next binday :wave:
Books are paper so should be recycled or donated to a charity shop.

Dec 29, 2011
Interesting, I’ve still to read a good 300 pages of the good stuff then. So many new characters are introduced I feel like I need to remember them as no doubt some will become pivotal..
A TV series of the book has been released on Amazon. I've only seen the first episode, wasn't blown away but it would have to go some to match the book.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Rebirding by Benedict Macdonald, winner of the 2020 Wainwright prize for nature writing. Bring back the eagle owls. I'm also always reading a Portuguese language guide / instruction manual in a desperate attempt to learn it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dispatches From Pluto - Richard Grant

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Butler to the World - Oliver Bullough

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here