Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Jo Nesbo - The Snowman. I'm reading the books in order. This is the one that went to a movie. So far.....excellent.

Doing better than me, H. I took one look at page one of The Snowman and binned it off, the writing style just didn’t float my boat. Fortunately I was in my local LENDING LIBRARY so it cost me nowt.

Currently doing (library) book ‘Record, Play, Pause’ by Stephen Morris, the dullest member of Joy Div and Noo Order, a good read so far.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doing better than me, H. I took one look at page one of The Snowman and binned it off, the writing style just didn’t float my boat. Fortunately I was in my local LENDING LIBRARY so it cost me nowt.

Currently doing (library) book ‘Record, Play, Pause’ by Stephen Morris, the dullest member of Joy Div and Noo Order, a good read so far.

It is a translation. I'm a plot man. Will Self can far cough :wink:

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Without wishing to be intrusive, what's got you into the Albion, assuming you're a born and bread yank and not an ex pat? Would have sent a pm but these can be missed. :thumbsup:

Hey friend and yes I'm a true Yank lol:thumbsup:

How I became a fan is pretty simple:

Went to a bar with a friend of mine, and just started watching the Albion versus West Ham on the tv not really having a dog in the fight(2018 season) and just really got into the Seagulls, and really football more in general, after that. Love the culture, the fans, and hope to get to the Amex in the near future.:albion2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Doris went to a charity shop the other day and randomly picked up 3 Peter James hardbacks for me for a quid each. I've read 3 or 4 of his a while back and quite enjoyed them, so have just started Need You Dead which has started well. I've always enjoyed the forensic locality of his books, although how that translates to people not from Brighton & Hove always baffles me.

I'm also reading Charlie Brooker - Dawn of the Dumb on my kindle, which is laugh-out-loud funny. Massive fan of Newswipe, his brutal writing is at times sublime.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hey friend and yes I'm a true Yank lol:thumbsup:

How I became a fan is pretty simple:

Went to a bar with a friend of mine, and just started watching the Albion versus West Ham on the tv not really having a dog in the fight(2018 season) and just really got into the Seagulls, and really football more in general, after that. Love the culture, the fans, and hope to get to the Amex in the near future.:albion2:

I'm nodding in a sort of pleased fashion.

You could have chosen 'bookman' as your user name, but one can't argue with spinach (or olive oil).

:thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Gringo Trail - Mark Mann

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Confessions from Correspondent-Land - Nick Bryant

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Roumeli Travels in Northern Greece - Patrick Leigh Fermor

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Kowloon Tong - Paul Theroux

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seven Years in Tibet - Heinrich Harrer

(I appear to be the only one reading)

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
People Funny Boy: The Genius of Lee 'Scratch' Perry - David Katz

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Behind the Wall (A Journey Through China) - Colin Thubron

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cycling Home from Siberia - Rob Lilwall

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Unreliable Sources - John Simpson

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brighton at War. As the title suggests, it's about how B&H coped in the run-up and during the war. There are some lovely snippets: as late as 1938, a group of Nazis came over for a dinner at the White Horse in Rottingdean. And it's good to hear about the London kids who were evacuated to Woodingdean and found it so alien, they'd rather have gone to central Africa.

The weirdest thing of all was reading that Eric Hutchins was Billeting Office for the town. Those older Old Varndeanians will be well aware of that as headmaster. he was only slightly less feared than the Gestapo. Imagine Butch turning up on your doorstep demanding space for a family - you wouldn't say no!

I'm about halfway through. but it's an interesting read

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Non-fiction - Tiger Woods by Benedict and Keteyian, possibly a strange choice for someone like me, who has absolutely no interest in golf, but by jove it’s a great read.

Fiction - The Queen’s Gambit by Walter Tevis. Great writing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Women of Troy - Pat Barker. The sequel to the Silence of the Girls, it tells the story of the siege of Troy from Briseis's point of view. A great slant on a well-known story.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons - Mathew Fort

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
'Noble House' by James Clavell. Loving these Asian Saga novels; all really long but very well-done and engrossing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Lost Continent - Gavin Hewitt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here