[TV] Welcome to Wrexham

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
First 2 episodes of Series 3 out already, new episodes each Friday think it is.

Be interesting to see where Rob & Ryan's ceiling is - they've been very smart on the marketing side but there will come a time (Championship?) when they start to come up against some much bigger hitters financially.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

Be interesting to see where Rob & Ryan's ceiling is - they've been very smart on the marketing side but there will come a time (Championship?) when they start to come up against some much bigger hitters financially.
This is true, but you’d also think they have the contacts and the profile to attract additional investors when they need them. If they get high enough it’s a great sportwashing opportunity for someone!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

According to everyone in non and lower league football they already pay Championship wages, so probably the lower end of The Championship.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I’m afraid I’ve fallen out of interest in it. When all their fans were asking for them to put a statement out about the FA Cup, they didn’t say a word, because ultimately all this for them is money making. An international fan allocation at home games as well, it’s absolute nonsense, just try to set up the club as a tourist attraction, while completely ignoring what a football club should be, a community hub for fans of a certain area to watch sport, and partake in sport. Not for me I’m afraid. (Also they filmed in the away end when I went there when Torquay played there which is ridiculously disrespectful getting up in people’s faces when they’re 6-0 down).

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
^ I lost interest 2 episodes into series 1 and never went back to it 😍
Fair play to those who've stuck with it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
One of my mates played against Wrexham last season and they actually beat them so I have to watch it to see if he gets on. He got lots of abuse from the fans as for some reason he was given squad number 9 and then played right back so all match he got abuse as obviously a crap striker. (He is a winger).

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
One of my mates played against Wrexham last season and they actually beat them so I have to watch it to see if he gets on. He got lots of abuse from the fans as for some reason he was given squad number 9 and then played right back so all match he got abuse as obviously a crap striker. (He is a winger).
Your friend is Matt Lowe of Accrington and I win my £10

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I’m afraid I’ve fallen out of interest in it. When all their fans were asking for them to put a statement out about the FA Cup, they didn’t say a word, because ultimately all this for them is money making. An international fan allocation at home games as well, it’s absolute nonsense, just try to set up the club as a tourist attraction, while completely ignoring what a football club should be, a community hub for fans of a certain area to watch sport, and partake in sport. Not for me I’m afraid. (Also they filmed in the away end when I went there when Torquay played there which is ridiculously disrespectful getting up in people’s faces when they’re 6-0 down).
I think that's a tad harsh. There's undoubtedly some truth in it, but I'm still inclined to think their ownership of Wrexham is a 'good thing' - certainly when compared to previous owners. The celebrity ownership / reality TV show thing does have its downsides as you've pointed out, but I think they're (currently) more than outweighed by the benefits. And in some ways they can't win. We moan about bad owners, then two guys turn up who clearly aren't property speculators or money launderers and who have invested heavily in the club and brought it success - and people still find fault!

I think there may be a crunch point in the future, possibly when they do reach their 'ceiling'. Then some of the celebrity chickens may come home to roost.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Best thing that’s happened to the town and area. It has been a down trodden old place and has provided some much needed sunshine in Wrexham.
That's another good point. Leaving aside the football club the actual area has benefitted from the attention - and the influx of tourist cash. I don't think the residents of the Wrexham area are at the 'Venice' level of objection yet.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
You can criticise but what they have done for the club and town is incredible and hard to think would have ever been achieved by any other means. As for prioritising tourists I find the creative direction of the series very respectful to the community and supporters lives, and the stories are authentic and baked in humanity. As for financial support Reyniolds in particular is a very successful entrepreneur and is also very connected. I think they have a big chance of going to the top. Top players will be attracted by the show, and if Luton and Ipswich can do it no reason Wrexham cant either and good on their fans who deserve it as much as we did.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think that's a tad harsh. There's undoubtedly some truth in it, but I'm still inclined to think their ownership of Wrexham is a 'good thing' - certainly when compared to previous owners. The celebrity ownership / reality TV show thing does have its downsides as you've pointed out, but I think they're (currently) more than outweighed by the benefits. And in some ways they can't win. We moan about bad owners, then two guys turn up who clearly aren't property speculators or money launderers and who have invested heavily in the club and brought it success - and people still find fault!

I think there may be a crunch point in the future, possibly when they do reach their 'ceiling'. Then some of the celebrity chickens may come home to roost.
Yeah for sure its a tad harsh. I think they have done it tastefully, I think it just seems crazy to have championship wages in the Conference. Undoubtedly they have done good more than most owners which can only be a good thing. I do like Wrexham fans and know quite a few, they were all sound, but I do think the corporate nature of the takeover is slowly seeping in and there will as you say become a crunch point. I always think these documentaries and takeovers have a sell by date. I think this stuff about FA Cup replays and the international fan allocation is odd. I do think they have to tread a fine line here, and still cater for the local fans, while undoubtedly encourage the global brand. The Hooligan episode on the documentary was ODD, saying how bad English football was, while using hundreds of clips of Eastern European ultras. I watched the first series, which was good, but a lot of the ideas proposed for the whole league are always spun to be good for everyone and when Wrexham leave the league, the ideas are forgotten about (3 up and 3 down). Will be interesting to see how they keep the series relevant without it just developing into a copy cat documentary, and whether they can keep on throwing unsustainable money at it. I don't think as @Zeus said you can criticise what its done for the local area, its massively improved that, and that is a credit. As well as shining a light on the Gresford Mine Disaster which in all honesty I had absolutely no idea about until I went there.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm happy for Wrexham. After all the sh*t the fans went through and their own efforts to save the club I'm glad that they have had a slice of good fortune. Rob and Ryan are decent and have done more than just resurrect a football club on it's knees, they've revitalised a town and community, all power too them I say.

As for the show, I enjoyed the first two series and thought it was very well put together. That said it is no longer a cinderella story and as a neutral there is not much of a reason for me to watch S3.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I love sport documentaries, the 'all or nothing' and 'last chance u' ones are great. I only watch F1 via drive to survive now and think this wrexham one is one of the better (our) football ones. It's really well done and I like how they have made some of the locals regulars and use the pub a lot.
Not watched this season yet as I wait until they're all out and binge.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I just saw him play in separate game this season, only number 9 right back I've ever seen!
It is a weird one. He was signed and they tried to make him a striker. But he is a winger but played full back. Poor bloke has been injured for best part of two years.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've not watched this programme, it's not really appealed

But I'm interested as why the two Owners are any better than other owners that spend beyond their means to get promoted?

Is it down to them being more likeable?

From the handful of league 2 games I've been to this season, the fans in the league are glad they have gone up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports