Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Martial Law in the UK.

I never thought I would ever see that.

Worrying times.

It is worrying, but in my mind deploying the army to supervise and enforce fair food distribution and prevent mass disorder is a proportionate step.

And it's a better use of their time than crawling around in forests shooting at targets (in my mind this is what they do with their time, but I might be completely wrong)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
This line is getting more ridiculous by the day. If there is a lockdown and you at any point have to continue the self isolation then you won’t have any/enough food. Fine for you to make that decision for yourself but not for others.

But a lock down/self isolation should not stop you, or a friend, or appointed career or agency getting you food. What will probably stop you is a growing minority (or worse) disrupting supply chains by filling every crevice in their homes with a panic-driven level of food and supplies.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But a lock down/self isolation should not stop you, or a friend, or appointed career or agency getting you food. What will probably stop you is a growing minority (or worse) disrupting supply chains by filling every crevice in their homes with a panic-driven level of food and supplies.

This. Was speaking to a colleague in Spain today - they are allowed out to get food, walk the dog, go to work (if they have to), go to the docs (with an appointment) etc.

What will get stopped if we go down this route, is, as I saw out running earlier this evening (which in Spain wouldn't be allowed incidentally), a big group of people in a local pub sat round a table. The police are actively stopping and fining (and arresting) people in Spain for breaching the lockdown.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I agree completely that hysteria is not helpful, and that people need to take context into account. However, to compare your 150 a day statistic, this virus has killed almost 500 today in Italy, and tomorrow it will be many more. More again the next day.

It’s already clear that Covid-19 is a very serious illness, and I think ‘bad flu virus’ undereggs it by some magnitude. Left unabated, it would undoubtedly kill millions worldwide. Governments don’t completely shut down their economy for shíts and giggles.

The point is shutting things down does feck all. As soon as you open it up again then you are then susceptible to CV.

As for the government, are you so naive that they always do things for the good 'of the people'.

And you are taking THE worst case scenario in Italy and comparing it to the UK. The population demographics of the 2 countries are totally different. Italy has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The point is shutting things down does feck all. As soon as you open it up again then you are then susceptible to CV.

As for the government, are you so naive that they always do things for the good 'of the people'.

And you are taking THE worst case scenario in Italy and comparing it to the UK. The population demographics of the 2 countries are totally different. Italy has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older.

The point of the shut down is to flatten the curve and help the NHS keep up + to give scientists time to develop treatment.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

But it's this whole plan of staggering out the cases so that the bad cases don;t all hit the NHS at the same time and buys the NHS time to get their shit together inso far as they can. Sounds logical to me. Also a vaccine may come to the rescue

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I feel like most people would comply with any sort of lockdown. Also, the army has lots of guns. Not too many UK residents have guns.

The US on the other hand...

Genuinely worried how crazy people are going to get over here. 20% of workforce have lost their jobs in the last week and desperate people with guns is not a good mix.

I think army on the streets keeping order anywhere right now is by no means a bad thing, got to get this under control and why not have order and keep people safe?

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010

Thank you Mr Corbyn!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Its a balance:

1. The truth is something a lot of people would panic about
2. Suppressing the truth makes a lot of people unprepared or not cautious enough

Finally I get to use this GIF during this crisis to emphasise the difference between those two states of mind.

giphy.gif

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is worrying, but in my mind deploying the army to supervise and enforce fair food distribution and prevent mass disorder is a proportionate step.

And it's a better use of their time than crawling around in forests shooting at targets (in my mind this is what they do with their time, but I might be completely wrong)

The supermarkets are now rationing customers with a limit of the number of items they buy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports