Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be honest City youngsters who don't make the first team have had no problem moving on to other decent clubs and building careers in recent seasons. It's not a black hole for talent and I'm sure the payday for him is far better than what we can offer.

He'd get his chance here sooner, probably being slowly integrated this season with an eye to taking over following Pervis's inevitable sale. And at City there is already Lewis as the "up and coming" left back.

But if the kid backs himself to succeed I can see why he'd choose them for footballing reasons as well as monetary.
Examples?

Stumpy Tim

Our scouting is so good that the big clubs are now seeing who we want and then hijacking the deals (Kendry Paez to Chelsea was another one like this). Hopefully some of the players we go after will realise coming to us first will be a better career path for them.

While the whole "clubs look at who's Brighton's scouting to sign players" thing is true, in this case Manchester City have been scouting Barco for longer than Brighton has
It's not true though is it. Does anyone really think Premier League clubs are going to base their purchases on the basis of some agent saying Brighton are after their player? Football Manager isn't the real world. City have been tracking this guy for years, other Premier League clubs have scouts in South America as well as us.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A signing like this is an absolute BANKER for Manchester City.

They buy the player for £10m. If he's brilliant, they get a first team player for peanuts.

If he falls short, Southampton will give them £20m for him, (and agree to a buy-back clause, in the event that he kicks on after leaving).

They literally can't lose.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Examples?
Gavin Bazunu - Southampton
Cole Palmer - Chelsea
Pedro Porro - Sporting
Feran Torres - Barcelona
Angelino - Leipzig
Jack Harrison - Leeds
Lukas Nmecha - Wolfsburg
Eric Garcia - Barcelona
Patrick Roberts - Celtic

I'd say all of these benefitted from being at City in terms of getting a good next move at a relatively young age, despite not really making an impact there.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
James Trafford has gone to Burnley this season and is their first choice keeper.

Taylor Harwood-Bellis will get a move to a Championship side at least when he gets bored of waiting for a first team chance.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A signing like this is an absolute BANKER for Manchester City.

They buy the player for £10m. If he's brilliant, they get a first team player for peanuts.

If he falls short, Southampton will give them £20m for him, (and agree to a buy-back clause, in the event that he kicks on after leaving).

They literally can't lose.
Pretty much the model Sir Tone is aiming for, I would imagine...

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Our scouting is so good that the big clubs are now seeing who we want and then hijacking the deals (Kendry Paez to Chelsea was another one like this). Hopefully some of the players we go after will realise coming to us first will be a better career path for them.

Both Paez and Barco are well-known players, rather than 'hidden gems'. It's not a surprise other clubs were interested in them.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Gavin Bazunu - Southampton
Cole Palmer - Chelsea
Pedro Porro - Sporting
Feran Torres - Barcelona
Angelino - Leipzig
Jack Harrison - Leeds
Lukas Nmecha - Wolfsburg
Eric Garcia - Barcelona
Patrick Roberts - Celtic

I'd say all of these benefitted from being at City in terms of getting a good next move at a relatively young age, despite not really making an impact there.
Lavia, Brahim Diaz, Trafford, Borges (just joined Ajax), even Sancho perhaps (though maybe he'd have got his chance eventually).

Not making the grade at City is no indictment of a career, plenty of clubs will still take the risk. At this point City have overtaken Chelsea as the best academy in the UK.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
While the whole "clubs look at who's Brighton's scouting to sign players" thing is true, in this case Manchester City have been scouting Barco for longer than Brighton has
I've also been following him longer than Brighton's reported interest to be fair.

Absolute star in Football Manager

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Sun (warning - its The Sun, and double warning - Its Alan Nixon) - reporting this morning that we're still interested in the LB and likely to have another stab at securing him before the Jan transfer window. That said Boca Juniors are trying to keep him and it reports that it might "cost us more". Fancy that. .

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
So it looks like it will be between us and city come Jan,boy looks bloody good.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, no surprise - and I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere too. Of course, we couldn't stop Winstanley taking his knowledge of who we were looking at with him when he went to Chelsea, so Chelsea probably have good inside knowledge of a lot of our targets - and of course it will be much cheaper for them to buy them direct, rather than from us after a season.
:(

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Just because chelsea have stuck their noses in the trough, doesn't mean the food on offer wants to be stuck down their throat. They may not want to be put to the back of the pantry.
He may be a welsh rarebit at chelsea or city, but sometimes it's better to be cheese on toast at Brighton..........I'm really hungry now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here