Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I don’t think it’s that complicated. Both Brighton and City were interested for a while, we’re not the only club looking at the brightest prospects in Latin America.

Brighton make a bid, the agent calls City and says “do you want to get in on this, nows the time”, and they do so they outbid.

It’s not some social media conspiracy theory, other clubs have targets, scouts and data too.
Not true. No one signed players from outside the UK until Brighton started doing it 5 years ago. Fact.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
But the process is designed to meet the needs only of our club and currently and specifically RDZ. Cucurella is a prime example. Perfect for Potter at Brighton, but £63m wasted by Chelsea.
And you don't think the other teams are going to look at how a club with our "limited" resources is doing so well not just in recruitment but style of play. I just hope the others don't work out a way to counter RDZ's style. It so depends upon getting the opponent to commit to taking our players on, thereby tying up players allowing us to play. As to c

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
And you don't think the other teams are going to look at how a club with our "limited" resources is doing so well not just in recruitment but style of play. I just hope the others don't work out a way to counter RDZ's style. It so depends upon getting the opponent to commit to taking our players on, thereby tying up players allowing us to play. As to c
We had a couple of demonstrations end of last season from Everton and Newcastle, how to beat de Zerbiball.

Sit back and be compact until we’ve gradually committed everyone to the attack, particularly the fullbacks. Lightning pace counter attack - our CBs are great ball players but not fast.

But RDZ will have seen this and will already be implementing some way to account for this. I look forward to seeing what tweaks in style we have this season - Luton were too crap to require any.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We had a couple of demonstrations end of last season from Everton and Newcastle, how to beat de Zerbiball.

Sit back and be compact until we’ve gradually committed everyone to the attack, particularly the fullbacks. Lightning pace counter attack - our CBs are great ball players but not fast.

But RDZ will have seen this and will already be implementing some way to account for this. I look forward to seeing what tweaks in style we have this season - Luton were too crap to require any.
Newcastle didn't do that. They played a high press against us. They're very good at it, but were helped by us being depleted and prioritising other games that we had to play before and after.

Everton scored 5 with 5 shots on target. It wasn't a work of tactical genius. The early goal was due to our error and we then over comitted after realising we had started complacently. Their attacking players broke very well and put away their chances like they hadn't done all season. It was a one off and the approach may be easily replicated, but it relies very heavily on fine margins going the way of the opposition. They all did that night, but most times it would end in defeat.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I would really like to know who the scouts were that brought in our biggest selling players and which of them is still at the Albion....

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Newcastle didn't do that. They played a high press against us. They're very good at it, but were helped by us being depleted and prioritising other games that we had to play before and after.

Everton scored 5 with 5 shots on target. It wasn't a work of tactical genius. The early goal was due to our error and we then over comitted after realising we had started complacently. Their attacking players broke very well and put away their chances like they hadn't done all season. It was a one off and the approach may be easily replicated, but it relies very heavily on fine margins going the way of the opposition. They all did that night, but most times it would end in defeat.
To be fair that’s true, I was mainly thinking about the Everton debacle.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a one off though, we’ll be faced with it a lot this season. Towards the end of the season we were faced with teams who wouldn’t be baited into pressing us and naturally that meant us playing possession football to try to find gaps further up the field, perfect for the counterattack against us.

Everton may have finished well but they found themselves with very presentable chances because they cut right through us. We need a great DM to come in for precisely that reason.

But back on topic, Barco would be an exciting addition, particularly given Estupiñan will likely start to attract attention if his performances continue.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Newcastle also were super strong , powerful and didnt stop chasing and harrying . They look like they have carried this on this season too.

I think this is the way to beat us while we don't have an enforcer in the middle.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

I agree. I think RDZ said that the players' were still thinking about their spectacular victory in the previous match against Manchester United. That wouldn't surprise me....

Jimmy Grimble

Newcastle are a kryptonite to our style with the system Howe has them playing and the player profiles they have.

Their speed, physicality and tactical awareness in the press meant that even our out ball (the long pass from Steele or a centre back to a player hugging the touch line or running in behind) was failing regularly.

They’re the best in the league at pressing and probably one of the best in Europe. I would not be surprised if they went far in the CL.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Barco is so under the radar that the Guardian included him in this list of 60 young talents in their 2021 power list of "Next generation" world teen players. (and Lavia , Lesley Ugochukwu, and someone called Julio Enciso). Everyone knows about these lists, and everyone knows about these players - certainly the scouts and recruitment teams at elite clubs do. . Thats not the hard bit. Its tracking their development, dealing with agents, having people on the ground, the data that shows if they moneyball etc, convincing all involved of the pathway, working out if they really are vfm, the right fee/wages/sell ons and so on. But the idea that all clubs need to do is look over their shoulder at the "Albion list" of targets is ridiculous and then er, steal it is a bit far fetched.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

At least if they get him, we’ll have made them pay a lot more.

I still think we are the more attractive proposition to both the player and his (greedy) agent. Cole Palmer’s journey is a great example of good players at big clubs getting restless for minutes. This guy would surely be No.2 straight away with the prospect of plenty of cup action, some full EPL games and many substitution appearances.

I hope we say to Boca that we’ll March City’s offer and then leave it to the player and agent to decide.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I would really like to know who the scouts were that brought in our biggest selling players and which of them is still at the Albion....
Sam Jewell.
Now Head Of Recruitment, or something.
But we've definitely lost some key players. However, if Starlizard is what we think it Is (a continually updating database of every footballer playing professionally) then the scouts aren't probably that vital here.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Sam Jewell.
But we've definitely lost some key players. However, if Starlizard is what we think it Is (a continually updating database of every footballer playing professionally) then the scouts aren't probably that vital here.
Thanks!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Newcastle are a kryptonite to our style with the system Howe has them playing and the player profiles they have.

Their speed, physicality and tactical awareness in the press meant that even our out ball (the long pass from Steele or a centre back to a player hugging the touch line or running in behind) was failing regularly.

They’re the best in the league at pressing and probably one of the best in Europe. I would not be surprised if they went far in the CL.
If only the FA had the balls to bin the waistcoatwanker and put Eddie in when he was unemployed. Useless pillocks.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sam Jewell.
Given that the last I heard we have over 300 scouts, I'd wager that Bloom considers scouts to be vital to the recruitment process.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Given that the last I heard we have over 300 scouts, I'd wager that Bloom considers scouts to be vital to the recruitment process.
Most of these are very junior, don't really get paid much more than their expenses and are watching lower league and youth football for academy prospects.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Most of these are very junior, don't really get paid much more than their expenses and are watching lower league and youth football for academy prospects.
Indeed. Scouts are not making silly money:

And for some reason, TESCO hire football scouts!?!?

Untitled.png

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Scouts are an important part of the process as they can look and assess the players in real life . However it’s the database constantly updated with the players whose stats are at a high and elite level around the world from teenagers that’s the most important as it allows specific players to be targeted rather than a scatter gun approach where you hope to find a gem which would be far more difficult and labour intensive .

canlison

Jan 28, 2022
City has been following Barco, tracking him and sending scouts to watch him for a good 2 years, since he broke into the Reserves team

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Much as I agree, what is worse than all that, I may have to finally admit that Smug Eddie can coach a team :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here