[TV] TV recommendations that are similar to Strike?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Mrs GCCM and myself really enjoyed the detective drama Strike. She likes all sorts of this kind of thing, but leans towards more serious dark stuff, whilst I prefer something more lighthearted, humorous and less realistic. We both like the process of following clues that lead to elimination of suspects and then a grand denouement a la Sherlock or Christie. Strike seemed to strike (no pun intended) a good spot but was helped by having a charismatic lead actor.

Are there any other similar cop/detective dramas of that ilk out there?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hmm. Luther perhaps? Although it gets rather ridiculous in parts, it’s good.

Some others;

River

Murphy’s Law

Vincent

Wire in the blood

Missing / Baptiste

The Investigation - drama about that real life weirdo who killed a journalist in his home - made submarine. I thought this was brilliant.

And there’s endless foreign detective series on Walter Presents in C4

I don’t know how well these have dated but I remember enjoying them at the time.

If I think of any more, I’ll post.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wallander was great. The Ken Branagh version. Really liked that.

I don’t know why it’s typing in italics?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thanks @Clamp! I'll check those out, your first suggestion is good, we like Luther and I reckon it's pretty similar to Strike.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mrs GCCM and myself really enjoyed the detective drama Strike. She likes all sorts of this kind of thing, but leans towards more serious dark stuff, whilst I prefer something more lighthearted, humorous and less realistic. We both like the process of following clues that lead to elimination of suspects and then a grand denouement a la Sherlock or Christie. Strike seemed to strike (no pun intended) a good spot but was helped by having a charismatic lead actor.

The Bridge
The Capture

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some more I really liked

The Bay

Deceit

Manhunt - particularly good. With Martin Clunes. True cases. He is absolutely fantastic in it as the real life detective.

The Fall - Gillian Anderson, anyone?

Save Me - another great one with Lenny James. Highly recommend.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I assume you've seen them back in the day but your description of a sweet spot between cheerful and dark with good clues immediately made me think of Inspector Morse. All available on ITVX and well worth revisiting.
Yes, missed Morse somehow when it came out, but have recently started watching. Another charismatic actor whom we love.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

The Nordic Nois version......

The Tunnel, UK adaptation of the Bridge

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Have you got TV access to Amazon Prime eg through a firestick?

Bosch is brilliant.
Goliath is very good.

Then these are 10/10 Nordic Noir, fitting the bill:
Wallender - any of them, there are several TV and movie versions.
The Killing
The Bridge
Have chromecast, a smart tv and so have easy access to Prime. Thanks for the suggestions, there are a load of great choices in your post and in previous ones too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports