Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
An Italian environmental technology investor who has lived in the UK for 14 years has discovered she could be removed despite getting a “permanent residency” card after Brexit.

She is one of potentially tens of thousands of EU citizens who were unaware the Home Office changed the rules in 2019 requiring them to apply for a different scheme, called EU settlement.
I did say something, quite a while back, on the Brexit thread that some people were having problems but JCFG or pasta whatisface told me I was posting rubbish (well, more rubbish than I normally do).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This lot need to remember that they are public servants paid by the tax payer to do our bidding.
They may be public servants and they may be paid by the tax payer (which means precisely nothing - the fact I shop at Marks and Spencers doesn't give me any rights over the conduct of their Chief Executive who is paid by my payments for their goods), but they are definitely not there to do our bidding.

They are representatives, not delegates. There is a difference.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They may be public servants and they may be paid by the tax payer (which means precisely nothing - the fact I shop at Marks and Spencers doesn't give me any rights over the conduct of their Chief Executive who is paid by my payments for their goods), but they are definitely not there to do our bidding.

They are representatives, not delegates. There is a difference.
There is contempt of Parliament and misconduct in public office, which is usually accountable but this particular lot have got away with breaking those particular rules, time and time again, resulting in the most corrupt government this country has ever had.
A weak Speaker, and suspect donors, Damehood for the police commissione, a brother as assistant commissioner, family made peers and put into the House of Lords, along with failed politicians, so they can still be Cabinet Ministers.
Yet, still there are voters willing to make excuses for them.

They say we get the government we deserve. That does seem to be the case now.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Rishi Sunak’s government has spied a “Brexit opportunity” to legalise the sale of wine by the pint once more – if it can persuade anyone to make the bottles.

Still and sparkling wine will be sold in 200ml, 500ml and 568ml (pint) sizes in 2024, alongside existing measures, under new rules, the Department for Business and Trade (DBT) announced on Wednesday. It said the change was made possible by Brexit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Rishi Sunak’s government has spied a “Brexit opportunity” to legalise the sale of wine by the pint once more – if it can persuade anyone to make the bottles.

Still and sparkling wine will be sold in 200ml, 500ml and 568ml (pint) sizes in 2024, alongside existing measures, under new rules, the Department for Business and Trade (DBT) announced on Wednesday. It said the change was made possible by Brexit.

Taking Back Control :thumbsup:

Lucky there's nothing more important to focus on now we are in the Sunlit Uplands

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Taking Back Control :thumbsup:
Although they’ve finally admitted defeat in their attempt to bring in legislation to appease the pound & ounces (life used to be so much better) extremists.

The government has confirmed it is not planning to change the rules on selling in imperial measures after Brexit.
Ministers looked at changing laws inherited from the EU that mean traders can use Britain's traditional weighing system only alongside the metric one.
But they have now decided not to, after nearly 99% of respondents to an official consultation said they were happy with kilos and litres.
” BBC

I assume that they’ve concluded the 1% will probably be dead by the next election.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Although they’ve finally admitted defeat in their attempt to bring in legislation to appease the pound & ounces (life used to be so much better) extremists.

The government has confirmed it is not planning to change the rules on selling in imperial measures after Brexit.
Ministers looked at changing laws inherited from the EU that mean traders can use Britain's traditional weighing system only alongside the metric one.
But they have now decided not to, after nearly 99% of respondents to an official consultation said they were happy with kilos and litres.
” BBC

I assume that they’ve concluded the 1% will probably be dead by the next election.

I had an elderly relative that voted for Brexit because she wanted Pounds, Shilling and Pennies and Imperial weights back that 'those Europeans took away' :facepalm:

Although I have been assured many times that level of stupidity was extremely rare :wink:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You know when they are in trouble when they look at abolishing inheritance tax, the Conservative emergency button.
If that doesn’t work it’ll be to overturn the hunting ban

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is contempt of Parliament and misconduct in public office, which is usually accountable but this particular lot have got away with breaking those particular rules, time and time again, resulting in the most corrupt government this country has ever had.
A weak Speaker, and suspect donors, Damehood for the police commissione, a brother as assistant commissioner, family made peers and put into the House of Lords, along with failed politicians, so they can still be Cabinet Ministers.
Yet, still there are voters willing to make excuses for them.

They say we get the government we deserve. That does seem to be the case now.
This is always the case. When the likes of one of my brothers, who has been on two anti invasion of Gaza peace marches, refuses to vote labour because of 'tory-lite' Starmer, all one can do is shake one's head, sadly.

I can only assume that despite the cost of living crisis there is a sufficiently large majority of feather-bedded voters who are alright, Jack, and whose priorities are being driven by the tory dog whistles: taking back control; stopping the boats; ending illegal migrants; lower taxes; stope the wokes; er; that's it.

Not marching on to a bright future, but standing resolute with a pitch fork, defending a heap of dung. What a look. But people seem to like it. Hopefully increasingly fewer people as the election approaches.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Funny how all the tory apologists are jumping to defend Cleverley and try to underplay what was said.
And if the same 'joke' came from the other 'side', the very same people would be calling for the person who said it to be sacked, or for there to be some kind of investigation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here