Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m not talking about calling them names. More pointing out their failures. Repeatedly.

But yes, I get and largely agree with your viewpoint.
Oh he will, but to quote that oft-repeated phrase he’s keeping his powder dry.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I suppose I’m just concerned that the Tory’s won’t get properly pulled up on their behaviour. They never seem to be.
They get away with so much.

Labour can’t afford to give them the soft treatment.

There’s enough of that from inquiry boards, the British press, the police, the electorate, and their victims.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
must be under a rock or in denial, immigration has been a significant political issue for decades. for a large minority it is used as an excuse for many other problems, even if it doesn't directly affect them. being seen to do something becomes important, even if the underlying problem cant be resolved.
No I’m quite aware of immigration being blamed on everything from a lack of employment opportunities and housing to lack of lavatory paper in supermarkets.

My curiosity is with this particular policy and the amount spent on it already with nothing to show for it and how they think that is going to play out with voters and/or potential voters.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Just because we have a rubbish government, doesn’t mean the other options at the time would’ve been more successful. Under Cameron it was comparative halcyon days compared to what we’ve got now. If you’re thinking of a snarky reply to that, I direct you to re-read the word “comparative” again.

This election it’s a clear cut choice, get a terrible, deeply unpopular government out and a steady, moderate leader of the a moderate opposition into government.

No more right wing nutters, no left wing nutters to replace them. Finally some calm, boring and grey stability for the next decade please as we try and rebuild our economy and national image.
Apart from candidates for West Chalfont shouting: 'You are a bloody shit! You're a bloody, buggering, shitting buggerhead!' obviously.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I suppose I’m just concerned that the Tory’s won’t get properly pulled up on their behaviour. They never seem to be.
They get away with so much.

Labour can’t afford to give them the soft treatment.

There’s enough of that from inquiry boards, the British press, the police, the electorate, and their victims.
We’re a long way from an election. Gung-ho isn’t going to be his style, prepare yourself for that.

Think of it this way (I know it’s hard because I know how strong your feelings are politically, and I’m not meaning to be patronising):

Labour’s job in the election campaign is to convince a very large number of people who voted Tory last time out to switch and vote for them.

They could do this by constantly attacking everything about the Tories, or they could do it by talking about what they offer instead.

The first option is good for consolidating already baked-in views, reaffirming those who already are going for you. Preaching to the choir. It’s a horrible tactic for winning swing votes, because you’re attacking them. You’re saying it’s all their fault. You’re saying they’re wrong.

Who likes being told they’re wrong, that they’re an idiot for having moderate views which clash with someone opposite? Nobody, whether you’re right, left or centre.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Apart from candidates for West Chalfont shouting: 'You are a bloody shit! You're a bloody, buggering, shitting buggerhead!' obviously.
Well I’ll be voting for Schappsy, he always nails it. He’s dead against… (slapheads!) no, he’s dead against (SLAPHEADS!)

IGNORE HIM!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There's a good analysis of the country's concerns about immigration/Rwanda etc on the latest "News Agents" podcast....it includes an interview with a pollster (who's also a former Tory party advisor). I had a look on the pollster's website ( moreincommon.org.uk ), and they include the following poll (see below - it's six months old, but probably still pretty relevant). You can access the raw data, and - inevitably - the people who are most concerned about small boats are the elderly (40% put it in their top 3 concerns) and Tory voters (39% put it in their top 3....no doubt the two categories are almost entirely the same people). Geographically, it's also those in the East of England and the North East who are most concerned, whilst Londoners are least concerned (only 14% put it in their top 3)

1702476315101.jpeg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
By the way… ‘The Five Families’.

If you’re choosing your own nickname and you name yourself after groups of murderous criminals, presumably because you think it sounds cool, you really need to rewatch the Mitchell & Webb ‘Are We The Baddies?’ Nazi sketch.

The Five Families weren’t just in ‘The Godfather’. They were actual gangs of real life murderers and drug dealers. Could you imagine how they’d react if their opponents starting referring to themselves as ‘The Bloods’ and ‘The Crips’? They’re a childish bunch of morons playing games while our country disintegrates on their watch. If they want to name themselves after a murderer of Italian origin, they should use ‘The Emperor Neros’.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just read his Wikipedia.

Member of the common sense group. Thinks that young men are turning to crime because the BBC cast a woman as Dr. Who.
Oh, by the way, Fletcher is lying about the Don Valley constituency, and not just about A&E. It is 94% UK born British. and 96% white.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’ve been wondering how interested voters are in this topic because the tories seem to be putting all their eggs in one basket on this issue.

When canvassing their core vote, nevermind swing voters, how are they going to be able to spin it as a success?

‘Yes we understand that you can’t pay your mortgage so you’re in danger of losing the property that you’ve worked hard to buy, and that your kids will never be able to buy or even rent one, and can only afford to live on beans and toast because we have crashed the economy, and that you have been on a waiting list for a hip replacement for 13 years because we don’t really do the NHS, and you lost several family members to Covid because we couldn’t do that either but we have come up with a pie in the sky scheme that has cost a fortune, deported no one and deterred no one either’.

Surely they need to be thinking about one or two other policies don’t they?
I kind of think they have. It's 'stop the boats'. It works with far too many, but it's novelty is beginning to wear thin, and more and more are peeling away from it/them.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
By the way… ‘The Five Families’.

If you’re choosing your own nickname and you name yourself after groups of murderous criminals, presumably because you think it sounds cool, you really need to rewatch the Mitchell & Webb ‘Are We The Baddies?’ Nazi sketch.

The Five Families weren’t just in ‘The Godfather’. They were actual gangs of real life murderers and drug dealers. Could you imagine how they’d react if their opponents starting referring to themselves as ‘The Bloods’ and ‘The Crips’? They’re a childish bunch of morons playing games while our country disintegrates on their watch. If they want to name themselves after a murderer of Italian origin, they should use ‘The Emperor Neros’.
Utterly pathetic aren’t they? And when you meet one in the flesh as I had the misfortune to a while back, you come away perplexed that they were able to dress themselves on their own let alone ‘run’ the country.
The Prosciutto Cotto Clan would be an appropriate Italian derived name I believe.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just because we have a rubbish government, doesn’t mean the other options at the time would’ve been more successful. Under Cameron it was comparative halcyon days compared to what we’ve got now. If you’re thinking of a snarky reply to that, I direct you to re-read the word “comparative” again.

This election it’s a clear cut choice, get a terrible, deeply unpopular government out and a steady, moderate leader of the a moderate opposition into government.

No more right wing nutters, no left wing nutters to replace them. Finally some calm, boring and grey stability for the next decade please as we try and rebuild our economy and national image.
Rather than drawing comparisons, I see connections.
Without Cameron and Osborne turning up and saying 'Labour crashed the economy', 'the cupboard is bare', etc, and inflicting austerity on the public we wouldn't be where we are now.
I had several disagreements with posters on here about the efficacy of austerity. Many have now conceded that it doesn't really work in a downtime. We've had near to zero growth* in the meantime, with the latest GDP figures showing a 0.3% decline in output. We're in a no/low growth regime. At the same time, we're in an accelerating inequality regime. Osborne and Cameron are highly culpable for all of this (even if they did one or two good things, eg introducing progressive rates of stamp duty but, then again, Johnson has done one or two good things in a mire of merde).
Austerity didn't even work on its own terms, and Cameron and Osborne claimed that they would have eliminated the deficit by the end of their first term: they didn't. Instead, at the end of their first term, to deal with the utter failure of their own flagship policy we got the offer of an in/out referendum on EU membership, alongside the rhetoric of 'chaos with Ed Miliband'.
I could go on, but whereas you want to draw comparisons, I see continuity.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

As a reminder, this was after a question about a young homeless boy who was worried whether Santa would find him

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

As a reminder, this was after a question about a young homeless boy who was worried whether Santa would find him

He did this twice. Once in response to the question about the poor boy where his response didn't even include a single reference to the boy but a look at his notes before Rishibot 2.0 kicked in with "YEAH....YEAH....BUT WHAT ABOUT LABOUR!?". Unbelievable that he didn't even say "Of course, hearing of situations like this is...."

The second time was when Starmer finished PMQs by wishing a Happy New Year. Such an odd response. Clearly was told to finish "with passion" but completely the wrong situation to do it.

Reactions: A1X

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
More about Nick Fletcher, blocking constituents on social media if they ask questions, dare to criticise, demanding respect from them, and setting up fake profiles to praise him, as evidenced by Doncaster FreePress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here