Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Liz Truss, the shortest-serving prime minister in British history, who was memorably shown to have a shorter shelf life than a lettuce, has in effect backed Donald Trump in next year’s US presidential election.

Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Truss – who spent just 49 days in No 10 Downing Street before being turfed out by her own Conservative party in large part for pitching the UK economy into crisis – said she wished for a Republican president next.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You seem to think that fairness (if not yer actual 'right and wrong') is defined by the opinion of one council. Perhaps you're right. The council after all is democratically elected and can speak for its council tax payers. That said, it is a council, not an autonomous entity like Rotherweird or Narnia. There are other organizations of government above it, and it does not have much if any say in matters that affect the wider community. We can all understand that.

I remember the 1981 'fairs fare' scheme introduced by the GLC in the early 90s. My weekly tube fair from Edgware to Tottenham Court Road was halved. Then one council among the many in the GLC said 'this is not fair'. This council went to court over it because they don't have a tube station (their overground is now part of TFL of course, but it wasn't then). Yes it was Bromley. A high court Judge (one of the wankers who banged up the non-IRA non-terrorists I think it was) ruled in favour of Bromley, and my tube fare was more than doubled. The democratic vote of most of the rest of us who elected the labour GLC was ignored. Fair?

Given that the 1981 plan was brought in by Labour (Livingstone in fact) whereas Bromley is True Blue, the whole thing was a political stitch up. As we know, the Labour GLC was such an existential threat to Thatcher she abolished it. Was that fair? Not bloody likely.

So is it fair for Hillingdon or whoever it is to demand removal of a scheme introduced by the elected Mayor? I think not.

Not everyone always gets everything they want.

I just checked what thread this is. It is 'tory meltdown'. I'd persuaded myself it had to be 'That Labour Khan bloke, isn't he rubbish?!'. :lolol: :thumbsup:

You're doing a decent job of seeking some 'balance' to the narrative in a tory-hostile moment in time, and being fair and courteous about it but, if we view the discussion as a civilized boxing match I wouldn't say you've landed any punches yet.
It is sometimes hard to have even landed punches recognised when one is constantly swimming against the tide of political opinion on this forum. Even if one makes a decent point against the prevailing view, it will not be greeted by the usual posters with lovie likes unless they agree with your political viewpoint. This is generally true of both left and right, but as a left view is predominant on here, it is more noticeable.
No, I haven’t landed any effective punches on this particular sub topic, but you can’t win ‘em all. Anyway, It is always a tough gig for a centre righty on NSC, I would never expect an easy ride.😉👍

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is sometimes hard to have even landed punches recognised when one is constantly swimming against the tide of political opinion on this forum. Even if one makes a decent point against the prevailing view, it will not be greeted by the usual posters with lovie likes unless they agree with your political viewpoint. This is generally true of both left and right, but as a left view is predominant on here, it is more noticeable.
No, I haven’t landed any effective punches on this particular sub topic, but you can’t win ‘em all. Anyway, It is always a tough gig for a centre righty on NSC, I would never expect an easy ride.😉👍
The centre right is important. Don't let the b'stards (like me) grind you down :wink: :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Liz Truss, the shortest-serving prime minister in British history, who was memorably shown to have a shorter shelf life than a lettuce, has in effect backed Donald Trump in next year’s US presidential election.

Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Truss – who spent just 49 days in No 10 Downing Street before being turfed out by her own Conservative party in large part for pitching the UK economy into crisis – said she wished for a Republican president next.
She's crackers

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The curious case of the Conservative Mayoral candidate's Oyster Card. Leaves tube without wallet and suggests she was pickpocket and "blames" Sadiq Khan.

By the afternoon she's got it back after it had being handed in by a member of the general public who had spotted it on a carriage seat.

.. with the money still there.

BROKEN BRITAIN.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
GALEvtDWkAAnnfl.jpg

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I respect 'centre righty' posters, but didn't the current cabal actually get rid of them over Brexit and leave us with 'extreme righties?' .... you know, the ones who have ruined the cohesion of our country and severely damaged our economy and reputation?

Do you 'respect' them?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
those who cannot afford compliant vehicles

That would actually (given the types of vehicles that are compliant) be more accurately stated as "those who cannot afford vehicles that are roadworthy" and thus are actually unaffected by the ULEZ extension (or should be). The compliant list includes plenty of affordable second hand vehicles.

I know and I have edited my remark. Of course everyone wants clean air, but I am merely asking was this a fair decision? A number of councils thought not and objected. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but I just wanted to put it out there as an example of a controversial act by the London Mayor.

My view is that various Tory groups used ULEZ as a political point-scoring gambit. They did a very clever job misrepresenting the impact ULEZ would have (including convincing Tesla owners that it was bad for them!), and the councils objecting was a part of that process.

I thought extending the ULEZ was a condition made by the Government for bailing out TFL?

Yes and no. The Government never actually explicitly specified that ULEZ be extended. But they did heavily imply that ULEZ-like policies were a requirement. And the obvious option for Khan within the non-specific framework he was handed was to extend ULEZ. Tory Government quite neatly laid a trap that they could then exploit later on with plausible deniability of being responsible.

It is always a tough gig for a centre righty on NSC

I'm naturally centre-right economics, centre-left social. I'd argue your problem as a centre-right currently is that the Tory's do not currently represent the centre-right. They've lurched further and further to the right since coming into power. Far enough that I'd argue that what would be considered "centre-right" has also been pulled to the right, such that those (like me) who would have been defined as "central" 10 years ago are now seen as being "lefties".

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No surprise to me. but maybe be to some who voted Brexit to protect British industries.

Let farming, manufacturing (and whatever else die) and just import cheaper stuff from abroad.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I respect 'centre righty' posters, but didn't the current cabal actually get rid of them over Brexit and leave us with 'extreme righties?' .... you know, the ones who have ruined the cohesion of our country and severely damaged our economy and reputation?

Do you 'respect' them?
I respect those politicians of all shades who I believe deserve respect, for example the late Alistair Darling. I thoroughly disapproved of the action against the likes of Ken Clarke and other moderates and so I cannot truly respect those who actively brought that about. However, politics is a dirty game, whatever colours you wear and I dare say, for whatever reasons, some decent people on both sides of the house have done things they may privately regret or feel rather ashamed about.

Reactions: cjd

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Top undercover reporting by the Evening Standard, who have tracked the youth responsible for Mayoral Candidate Susan Hall's stolen Oyster card.

** Warning: The following story contains details of a violent crime that was committed on the London Underground **

Mr Andani (69) said: “That person was ready to get out at Kingsbury. My wife saw that there was some wallet stuck between two seats. We asked him. He looked behind and said: ‘It’s not mine.’ We picked it up and found a Freedom Pass and some money inside.

“Luckily there was a business card with a phone number. We got out at Queensbury. I called Susan but she didn’t pick up, so I left a message. She didn’t call for a couple of hours so I called again. She picked up the phone. I told her that we had found this wallet.

“I said: 'I’m in Queensbury.' She said: 'I will come over.' When we handed it over to her she was so pleased. She was so happy. She said so many times, thank you very, very much. I feel she was very, very pleased.”

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I respect those politicians of all shades who I believe deserve respect, for example the late Alistair Darling. I thoroughly disapproved of the action against the likes of Ken Clarke and other moderates and so I cannot truly respect those who actively brought that about. However, politics is a dirty game, whatever colours you wear and I dare say, for whatever reasons, some decent people on both sides of the house have done things they may privately regret or feel rather ashamed about.
I agree with much of this; the problem is you seem to parcel off all these as if they were misdemeanours of equal impact. A mendacious narcissist has brought faith in government to its lowest ever level by consistent (lifelong?) undermining of people's trust.... 'Levelling up' and whataboutery on this is inappropriate https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnsons-50-lies-gaffes-26013022

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Top undercover reporting by the Evening Standard, who have tracked the youth responsible for Mayoral Candidate Susan Hall's stolen Oyster card.

** Warning: The following story contains details of a violent crime that was committed on the London Underground **
A typical tale of horror that Grotbags herself so often complains about in "Khan's London"

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I agree with much of this; the problem is you seem to parcel off all these as if they were misdemeanours of equal impact. A mendacious narcissist has brought faith in government to its lowest ever level by consistent (lifelong?) undermining of people's trust.... 'Levelling up' and whataboutery on this is inappropriate https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnsons-50-lies-gaffes-26013022
Not at all, I don’t know where you got this impression from.
I have absolutely no time for Johnson and I believe him to be an appalling fellow.
I don’t think we have much to disagree about on this subject.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Agreed and sorry for my presumption. I know Johnson wasn't really a tory (just Club Johnson), but the very thought of the immense and lasting damage that man has done to the reputation of our government/country still makes my blood boil...... and I fear he has set a precedent that other unscrupulous politicians will follow.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agreed and sorry for my presumption. I know Johnson wasn't really a tory (just Club Johnson), but the very thought of the immense and lasting damage that man has done to the reputation of our government/country still makes my blood boil...... and I fear he has set a precedent that other unscrupulous politicians will follow.....

I think you mean already followed unless Truss, Kwarteng, Patel, Sunak, Braverman etc was just some horrendous nightmare that we've still yet to wake up from.

The centre right are as far as they've ever been from getting their party back :shrug:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I think you mean already followed unless Truss, Kwarteng, Patel, Sunak, Braverman etc was just some horrendous nightmare that we've still yet to wake up from.

The centre right are as far as they've ever been from getting their party back :shrug:
Yes that is exactly what I mean. Thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here