Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Oh, they'd be blaming a Labour government if it had been in power for the last few years; but when it's a Tory government...silence!

I still encounter people who are silent about the £ billions spaffed since Covid, but who bang on about Gordon Brown selling our gold reserves.

The same people, I expect, who tell us to 'move on from' the Johnson/Truss premierships, but who will then remind us about the 2008 crash, or 1978-79 'winter of discontent', when Labour was in power.

I've never worked out whether a lot of Tory voters are total hypocrites or just completely thick?
Well it’s the age old question trotted out time after time: “would you trust Labour with the economy?”
personally I think Rachel Reeves would run rings around Jeremy Hunt. She is a competent economist……. Not saying Jeremy Hunt isn’t.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well it’s the age old question trotted out time after time: “would you trust Labour with the economy?”
personally I think Rachel Reeves would run rings around Jeremy Hunt. She is a competent economist……. Not saying Jeremy Hunt isn’t.

She's a fully trained economist who has worked in the City and for the Bank of England.

Hunt is a businessman who founded (and sold for millions) Hot Courses.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Their channel isn't having a good day.

Lawrence Fox finally sacked and he was arrested at his home in Stockwell this morning for an unrelated reason.
As was Calvin Robinson (pretend vicar) I believe the arrest of Fox is related to his alleged threats to cut down ULEZ cameras with an angle grinder.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As was Calvin Robinson (pretend vicar) I believe the arrest of Fox is related to his alleged threats to cut down ULEZ cameras with an angle grinder.

Some of the 20 mph signs round our way have been vandalised this week, this IMO is down to the Tories stoking culture wars.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Go get them Chris!!

Sunak has been chastened a couple of times for making announcements to the press instead of Parliament.
Now he is making decisions before Parliament has agreed or the committees.

We are in a virtual dictatorship where Parliament is supposed to be sovereign (remember the sovereignty, the leavers desperately wanted) but the PM thinks he can do what he likes.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Some of the 20 mph signs round our way have been vandalised this week, this IMO is down to the Tories stoking culture wars.
So environmentalists temporarily blocking roads are deemed to be anti-social criminals who deserve to be locked-up. but motoring Gammons who vandalise speed-limit signs and ULEZ cameras are freedom-fighting heroes according to the self-proclaimed Party of law-and-order.

Hypocritical scum

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

This is utterly outrageous, tying the hands of future government when they (as they inevitably will) revise the scheme. Hopefully someone uses this as an excuse to route HS2 right through Rishi Sunak's front room.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is utterly outrageous, tying the hands of future government when they (as they inevitably will) revise the scheme. Hopefully someone uses this as an excuse to route HS2 right through Rishi Sunak's front room.
I wonder what sort of people will buying this absurdly cheap land? Perhaps the same people who invented PPE acquisition businesses overnight, got gold plated government contracts and then failed to procure the right equipment but have never been held to account on their ill gotten millions.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's probably big enough to accommodate it and still find room for his grand piano

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I wonder what sort of people will buying this absurdly cheap land? Perhaps the same people who invented PPE acquisition businesses overnight, got gold plated government contracts and then failed to procure the right equipment but have never been held to account on their ill gotten millions.
Probably the same folk who were handsomely compensated for having to sell it via compulsory purchase. Win win win.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apparently one of the projects which will benefit from the cancellation of the northern leg of HS2, according to the Government, is the project to extend the Manchester tram network to Manchester Airport.

This tram line opened in 2014.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
10% of Tory funds come from property developers. Just saying

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, they have the full weight of the media on their side. Plus the Conservative vote is always underestimated when polling day comes round.
No it isn't. Polling companies are in competition with one another and have reputations to uphold.
See 1997 and 2017 as just 2 counter instances.
They start off with 'raw data' and then adjust according to numerous factors. Each has its own set of factors. Opinium for example is more stringent in the direction you mention which is why they consistently churn out lower Labour leads than the rest of the polling companies

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Apparently there wasn't an emergency Cabinet meeting this morning to agree the policy changes in this afternoon's PM's speech.

Nice to know that we are now set on a well thought out considered and long term plan rather than the last minute panicked decisions of the cabal of Johnson, Truss and Sunak trying to keep power at any cost ...... Oh :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here