Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Liz Truss says profit is not a dirty word.

Unlike our beaches, which thanks to that desperation for profit are increasingly dirty thanks to all the sewage.

It really is starting to feel like a nation where everything is falling apart while the Government ignores the problems.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah but Brexit got done. Except Northern Ireland which, let's face it, barely counts despite propping the entire country up between 2017 and 2019.

I honestly reckon my dog could've 'got Brexit done' the same way 'Boris' did. Get everyone else to do the hard work on the documentation and then sign it off without actually reading it, but claim all the glory. To the point where, at some point down the line, you don't like what you see and want to change it.

What a Bell that guy is.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unlike our beaches, which thanks to that desperation for profit are increasingly dirty thanks to all the sewage.

It really is starting to feel like a nation where everything is falling apart while the Government ignores the problems.

As delightful as my early morning cycle ride along the undercliff was today, it did smell of Truss, Johnson and the privatised water industry down there.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Maybe... but it certainly survives the test of time, doesn't it?
Thank you for your usual asinine comment. It's comforting to know that there are people we can rely on for that sort of input.

To be fair to PoTG, it is always worth checking the veracity of the source. That photo clearly wasn't 'seen in Lewes today' (yesterday now) as the twitter poster said it was. Always good to call out fake news.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair to PoTG, it is always worth checking the veracity of the source. That photo clearly wasn't 'seen in Lewes today' (yesterday now) as the twitter poster said it was. Always good to call out fake news.

How do you know it wasn't? How do you know the garden centre doesn't put that board out every day?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As I’ve said before, the Tory party is not a legitimate political party, it is the political wing of the elite/big business. It strives to maintain power so it can enable certain people and business entities to continue to profit without interruption, at any cost.

It does not exist to make your streets safer. It does not exist to improve your quality of life. It does not exist to uphold your rights. It does not care what hardship befalls us. As long as money is coming in for the people it does care about, they only care that we live so that we can pay taxes.

It’s why they keep essential workers on low wages, it’s why they pay us handouts out of our own tax money to make sure we can keep paying the energy giants.
Precisely this....plus a few add ons.. remember government sold off virtually all our societal infrastructure, Gas, Water and Electricity etc and more but as they are shareholder driven now they do not invest in improving that infrastructure. Their only interest is to cut costs and try to keep staff on poor wages for the next annual results.

Our population has increased but we have not built new reservoirs, gas storage or capacity. Power stations are slowly shutting down and Nuclear won't fill the need as it is hopelessly expensive and time consuming to build let alone the moral arguments...

People are in fuel AND food poverty now, in the height of summer and a perfect storm of food price increases and shortages is coming this autumn. People are dying and this will only increase as winter comes.

Don't look to the Tory government to save us, we need a sea change in the way government operates and its well beyond the current self serving liars.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
You do struggle to get by without insults don't you. No worries. Just call me thick and move on. Time to restart my ignore list.

I personally think you should re-read Watford zero’s post again, I see nowhere where you have been insulted, he just uttered in type some home truths which obviously smart and have triggered a subconscious realisation in you, what many of us already knew, that those of you on the Johnson cabal side were had and are in denial and until you accept what you enabled by believing the lies, mistruths and character assassinations played out by your chosen elected party in cahoots with their pet media barons things will never change. Try to give equal credence to all political parties, some are honest and straight talking some will only say the things they surmise you want to hear to get your vote then backtrack and extol the virtues of how hard they are working to deliver F.all that they promised and some fell for. Strike any chords ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The interruption prompts Truss to give her view on what she says are “the militant people who try and disrupt our country and try and disrupt our democratic processes and our essential services”.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

It's still open but under different ownership

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't stand this Govt. - but profit is not, and should not be a dirty word.

My business makes money - we make a profit - employ people - we pay tax - to pay for public services - what's the problem with that?

I agree, and I also agree with the previous post which says that profiteering is very wrong. Relating it to energy bills when people cannot afford to pay 54% higher bills, have no competition as there is now a cartel, and yet the energy companies are making billions every week.
That is scandalous.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I can't stand this Govt. - but profit is not, and should not be a dirty word.

My business makes money - we make a profit - employ people - we pay tax - to pay for public services - what's the problem with that?
Yes business owners should reap the rewards of taking the risk involved in starting a business. I think that this is often forgotten by employees that get paid for doing a days work without the risk of losing anything in return. Eg. Their house

However there comes a point when the business owner has a comfortable life and should then prioritise raising the standards for those they employ rather than continue to grow their own wealth. I think this is where the controversy sits between the Boss and the Workers with regard to how much is too much for either party

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I personally think you should re-read Watford zero’s post again, I see nowhere where you have been insulted, he just uttered in type some home truths which obviously smart and have triggered a subconscious realisation in you, what many of us already knew, that those of you on the Johnson cabal side were had and are in denial and until you accept what you enabled by believing the lies, mistruths and character assassinations played out by your chosen elected party in cahoots with their pet media barons things will never change. Try to give equal credence to all political parties, some are honest and straight talking some will only say the things they surmise you want to hear to get your vote then backtrack and extol the virtues of how hard they are working to deliver F.all that they promised and some fell for. Strike any chords ?

Nope, no chords as that wasn't the tune in my original post which simply stated that as a lifelong Tory voter I heard nothing in what Sunak and Truss had to say to make me want to vote Tory again. I'm not stupid or gullible as WatfordZero suggested and not for the first time, WZ turned a simple comment in to a tirade against me. Last time WZ did it, another poster jumped in and said 'ignore him, he's a troll'. I should have listened. He's on ignore now and no thanks, I won't be going to reread any of what he said.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes business owners should reap the rewards of taking the risk involved in starting a business. I think that this is often forgotten by employees that get paid for doing a days work without the risk of losing anything in return. Eg. Their house

However there comes a point when the business owner has a comfortable life and should then prioritise raising the standards for those they employ rather than continue to grow their own wealth. I think this is where the controversy sits between the Boss and the Workers with regard to how much is too much for either party

The CEO of Shell makes £6.2M a year, the profits are £9.4B in three months. £6.5B is going to be paid out to shareholders.
Pensioners like me are paying £125 a month just for electricity, and goodness knows what it will be after the autumn.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1650389/shell-bonuses-huge-profits-energy-crisis-hits-britain

I agree bosses should be paid a good wage for their expertise, but nobody can spend that much in a lifetime. It is obscene.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The CEO of Shell makes £6.2M a year, the profits are £9.4B in three months. £6.5B is going to be paid out to shareholders.
Pensioners like me are paying £125 a month just for electricity, and goodness knows what it will be after the autumn.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1650389/shell-bonuses-huge-profits-energy-crisis-hits-britain

I agree bosses should be paid a good wage for their expertise, but nobody can spend that much in a lifetime. It is obscene.

Shell is a Dutch company!

EDF ceo earns $227 thousand.

The CEO of ford makes $22.81 million

Bottom line is uk gvt has bugger all powers to affect salaries of foreign companies, only wholly based uk ones. Trouble is they dont hammer them because tories mates run them!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Shell is a Dutch company!

EDF ceo earns $227 thousand.

The CEO of ford makes $22.81 million

Bottom line is uk gvt has bugger all powers to affect salaries of foreign companies, only wholly based uk ones. Trouble is they dont hammer them because tories mates run them!

It was just an example of obscene profits, as opposed to general profits needed to run a company and reinvest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here