Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, we're not really, are we? One of the inflationary factors is that the jobs market is still pretty decent. Indeed there are whole sectors (air travel for example) who are absolutely desperate for people and plenty of people in private sector white collar jobs who are moving job for higher pay if their boss won't stump up.

The poverty bit I get completely and there are far more JAMs and people using food banks but if there was mass unemployment then you would think inflation at least would come down as people stopped spending or being employed.

I want to know what Kavanagh means by "Action This Day" in practical terms because further ramping up of the jobs market risks further inflation unless they are so badly paid as to be unfillable.

it is getting a bit hyped and hysterical. not sure what can be done this week that cant wait a few weeks for the leadership, and will take time to be implemented then take affect. there's £'00 for many households coming through in autumn. dont see anyone talking about the root causes (no short term fix), just more cash which is inflationary.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I just heard on the radio that 'No 10' has said it won't intervene with the cost of living crisis (or similar), because it's a matter for 'the next government'. Funny, because I'm pretty sure that blond bellend wanted to remain in charge until the 'next government' was in place.

I mean it's not surprising that he's downed tools and working down his notice period (if he ever picked them up in the first place), but it once again shows the measure of the man and how far out of touch he is with the country – or how much he just doesn't give a shite!

He is paying the U.K. back for calling him out as an incompetent, corrupt, thieving, liar.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
it is getting a bit hyped and hysterical. not sure what can be done this week that cant wait a few weeks for the leadership, and will take time to be implemented then take affect. there's £'00 for many households coming through in autumn. dont see anyone talking about the root causes (no short term fix), just more cash which is inflationary.

The first cost of living payment of just over £300 has been sent out already with more to come in October(?)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, we're not really, are we? One of the inflationary factors is that the jobs market is still pretty decent. Indeed there are whole sectors (air travel for example) who are absolutely desperate for people and plenty of people in private sector white collar jobs who are moving job for higher pay if their boss won't stump up.

The poverty bit I get completely and there are far more JAMs and people using food banks but if there was mass unemployment then you would think inflation at least would come down as people stopped spending or being employed.

I want to know what Kavanagh means by "Action This Day" in practical terms because further ramping up of the jobs market risks further inflation unless they are so badly paid as to be unfillable.

To be fair, it is a Sun article, so you would expect some over the top :shit: aimed at their target 'readers', but

There is certainly an incoming economic shitstorm that has been predicted for the last 6 years and, equally well predicted over the last 3 years, with an ever increasing intensity.

Meanwhile, our Government has been preparing for this by lying, negotiating unimplementable international agreements,, breaking laws, International and domestic, lying, handing out dodgy contracts to their mates, lying, covering up their lies and stoking culture wars.

Luckily Liz and Rishi have finally seen the light, realised what is coming and changed their focus to Ripping up the NIP, Expanding the Rwanda program, cutting public sector pay in poor areas and cutting taxes.

I do think and hope that you are right, in that most of us who earn a good salary and don't have big mortgages, have secure and well paid jobs in a market of rising salaries, or who have significant savings/pensions will be ok through the coming winter (that'll be you and me then) but I suspect there is a significant number of people who won't :(

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I think the point is that we have a PM who insisted on staying on and “getting on with the job” and is now refusing to do his job.

There are tens of thousands of families getting closer and closer to the breadline and a government with no plan to help except a few hundred quid in Autumn and no idea what happens after that.

We have a pair of nitwits slugging it out to impress a few thousand Tory members while the PM sits on his hands on holiday and a chancellor who didn’t even know where the PM was but insisted they were “on top of things”.

Has there ever been a less reassuring government in our life time?

It may not be urgent for you, but for some people this is urgent, it is real, and it is happening now.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
British consumers could face even higher bills and potential energy shortages this winter after Norway threatened to ration electricity exports.

The UK receives hydroelectric power from Norway through a subsea interconnector cable running beneath the North Sea.

However, water levels in southern Norway have been so low this year that the country’s government could put its own consumers ahead of international customers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think I can safely say you're not working your bollocks off as a young parent renting, or trying to buy with a big mortgage, trying to keep your head above water knowing that a couple more years of complete disinterest from your national Government will f*** over you, your partner and your family and there is f*** all you can do about it.

Retired is my guess :rolleyes:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I just heard on the radio that 'No 10' has said it won't intervene with the cost of living crisis (or similar), because it's a matter for 'the next government'. Funny, because I'm pretty sure that blond bellend wanted to remain in charge until the 'next government' was in place.

I mean it's not surprising that he's downed tools and working down his notice period (if he ever picked them up in the first place), but it once again shows the measure of the man and how far out of touch he is with the country – or how much he just doesn't give a shite!
Not surprising.

The current Government is an absolute disgrace. Can't wait until its gone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think I can safely say you're not working your bollocks off as a young parent renting, or trying to buy with a big mortgage, trying to keep your head above water knowing that a couple more years of complete disinterest from your national Government will f*** over you, your partner and your family and there is f*** all you can do about it.

Retired is my guess :rolleyes:

so you dont think "full-blown calamity of wartime proportions" is a bit OTT? more needs to be done but it can be done in good time. dont think recalling parliament mid August for an emergency budget is the answer. measures will need to be carefully thought to not increase inflation, not billions of tax cuts and untargeted spend to look like doing something. meaningful contingency like Drax coal generators made ready are happening anyway.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
so you dont think "full-blown calamity of wartime proportions" is a bit OTT? more needs to be done but it can be done in good time. dont think recalling parliament mid August for an emergency budget is the answer. measures will need to be carefully thought to not increase inflation, not billions of tax cuts and untargeted spend to look like doing something. meaningful contingency like Drax coal generators made ready are happening anyway.

My main issue with this is the ‘will need to be carefully thought’ which is completely alien concept to the shower we have in charge at the moment.
As for tax cuts, this is all that you are going to get as that’s the only language Truss et al believe in.
We are presently up shit creek without paddle or canoe, by recalling parliament it would at least focus minds but as bumble**** has pissed off on his hols nothing would be done until September anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
[tweet]1556590394170818560[/tweet]

Some humourous replies/quote tweets here.

A folded sheet of A4 paper, blue tacked to a door!

They've obviously learnt their lesson from when they negotiated the unimplementable 'Brexit good deal' and put a lot more effort into planning this time :lolol:

I don't really do twitter, but that isn't the real Rishi Sunak account is it ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
[tweet]1556590394170818560[/tweet]

Some humourous replies/quote tweets here.

Take the piss at your peril. The tories have an election to fight in 2 years and know that the only chance that they have or retaining a majority is by making it all about Brexit. This sort of blame-the-EU-for-everything rhetoric appeals to people that put Johnson firmly into power in 2019.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They've obviously learnt their lesson from when they negotiated the unimplementable 'Brexit good deal' and put a lot more effort into planning this time :lolol:

I don't really do twitter, but that isn't the real Rishi Sunak account is it ?

Yes, denoted by the blue tick (blue tack!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Take the piss at your peril. The tories have an election to fight in 2 years and know that the only chance that they have or retaining a majority is by making it all about Brexit. This sort of blame-the-EU-for-everything rhetoric appeals to people that put Johnson firmly into power in 2019.

Will they still fall for this rubbish when they have been shivering and starving in their red-wall houses for 2 years...that's if they have not been repossessed of course.

I am sure that it is somewhere on this thread but I cannot be ****d to look. When does the vote for the new "leader/PM" take place and when will the result be known?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here