Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The Woof (Old Preston Brewery Tap)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Not a fan of the pooch in the pub, if I'm honest.

Post Brighton Marathon, my running buddies and I ducked into The Southern Belle for some swift rehydration before the walk back to the AirBNB. The visit was well and truly bumfuzzled by a six footer of a hound. Into everybody's face, bags, crotch, licking everyone and everything, straining at its lead and scratching the shit out of the wooden flooring. The owner smiled benignly and uttered the old mantra "Oh, he's just being friendly". Patrons' eyeballs rolling everywhere, there were.

Although it would probably by a bit ripe of me to complain about the smell in my post marathon unsavouriness. We did duck outside to imbibe though.
:lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Not a fan of the pooch in the pub, if I'm honest.

Post Brighton Marathon, my running buddies and I ducked into The Southern Belle for some swift rehydration before the walk back to the AirBNB. The visit was well and truly bumfuzzled by a six footer of a hound. Into everybody's face, bags, crotch, licking everyone and everything, straining at its lead and scratching the shit out of the wooden flooring. The owner smiled benignly and uttered the old mantra "Oh, he's just being friendly". Patrons' eyeballs rolling everywhere, there were.

Although it would probably by a bit ripe of me to complain about the smell in my post marathon unsavouriness. We did duck outside to imbibe though.
:lolol:
I take it you all had your medals hanging proudly rang your neck when you went in to make sure everyone knew you just ran round Brighton & Hove? 😂 Maybe even one of you still wearing a tin foil poncho?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not been in, but reading the reviews they seem to do a decent range of beers incl Czech classics Budvar and Pilsner Urquell and serve decent reasonably-priced food. Such a shame they've gone all-in on the dog-friendly angle. Oh well, Crown and Anchor it is then

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I saw a dog sat on the table as I was waiting at the traffic lights, that put me off straight away. The staff may have asked the owner to take the dog off of the table but if it is frequented by people who put their dog on a table then it's still a no from me.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
king dogs place is outside and on the floor. Bloody disgusting arse licking, stinking mutts have no place where foods being served (unless its guide dog etc). I don’t get how people afford the bloody things.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I used to drink in there late 80s/early 90s. It was a great pub when Eddy West ran it.
One Sunday lunchtime a woman came in with a plate of roast dinner, plonked it down in front of one of the regulars, shouted “You might as well f..king move in here” and left.
Being allergic to dogs, it’s a no from me.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The Woof. Stopped in there to watch the Grand National after walking my bro-in-law’s dog. Good beer. Lovely chatty landlady. Very bright pub. Very contemporary. Two purpose built dart lanes. Two dogs in pub. Very big projector screen on wall. Very different offering to the Crown & Anchor 25 metres away.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Love all animals, but not stinky hounds in a pub or cafe. And many folk, stemming from childhood or other issues, are uncomfortable when they’re present.

Would the landlords be dog fanatics? Unable to clock that most people aren’t.

The Crown and Anchor has always had a nice feel, I hope they benefit from this.
But surely having both in such close proximity is the perfect solution. One pub for old dogs and one pub for old farts.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I take it you all had your medals hanging proudly rang your neck when you went in to make sure everyone knew you just ran round Brighton & Hove? 😂 Maybe even one of you still wearing a tin foil poncho?
No on both counts but it was obvious I'd done the run because I was walking like I'd just sharted...

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
The Woof. Stopped in there to watch the Grand National after walking my bro-in-law’s dog. Good beer. Lovely chatty landlady. Very bright pub. Very contemporary. Two purpose built dart lanes. Two dogs in pub. Very big projector screen on wall. Very different offering to the Crown & Anchor 25 metres away.
I can see the headlines already: 'Bounce-out Dart Blinds Beloved Beagle'

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Take my dogs to the pub, they are welcomed. Landlady of one even bought mine a toy when she heard getting a puppy. For the record I usually sit outside with, in all weathers. Never let sit on a chair (sake, who does that?!) and similarly bother other tables or persons (though and awful lot of people do come up to mine, as they’re so cute. I’m also a good looking bloke so that’s probably got something to do with too)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Has anyone been to this pub? I used to love it before, proper boozer, bit rough round the edges but decent. Now the names been changed and it's a pub catered for f**king smelly dogs.

Why?! Can't stand it that pubs are being turned into dog houses although most of us are in one if we stay at one for too long with the missus BARKING down the phone ;)

But seriously, is it any good? Because pubs that have dogs running around are not f*cking pubs. Why are dogs shoved down our throats in pubs?! They aren't the place for them, EXCEPT if it's a country pub.

The one good thing I have seen in this pub is they have darts etc which is quite appealing.

Curious for NSC reviews.
I agree with you viz a viz dogs, but l live in the country, so why do you thinks it's ok for local to accomodate them?

Modern day philosophy of exceptionalism & need to create a personality for a dog.
Having stopped after a walk @ Devils Dyke in the summer for a quick beer, it was like being on set in 101 Dalmatians - nonstop barking from the various assembled hounds.
Not great if you are allergic / asthma etc..

Absolutely mate.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
First they encouraged kids and prams, now it’s dogs it seems
I remember going to a pub in Patcham many years ago with our grandchildren aged 2 and 4 and were not allowed in due to the children, even though we were going to eat there !

Whilst standing in the doorway deciding next move we saw dogs allowed in!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here