Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Individual countries making their own decisions again, how does that happen?

P.S Watch the Telegraph cut and paste behind the firewall, we don't want to see the hard working residents of Brecqhou to be deprived of much needed income do we?

Please try to stay on topic, this is the Vaccine thread.

Sorry, I forgot the Express is more your level.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The expected slowdown in the UK vacc programme in April is being caused by 10m doses due from the Serum Institute in India not being supplied as expected (being stockpiled in India due to a spike in infections there and a subsequent potential expansion in their own programme).

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
So, given the apparent forthcoming slowdown in rollout, I gave my doctor’s surgery a ring this morning as it occurred to me that although I had my first Pfizer dose four weeks ago, I hadn’t actually been given a date for my second one. Anyway, after much umming and ah-ing the lady on reception gave me a call back to say that they were expecting some more doses on Thursday, and if I was able to come in Friday morning at short notice they may be able to give me another jab then.

Now, I’m 35 years old, fit, healthy, of normal weight etc. The only thing I have is an asymptomatic heart condition (bicuspid aortic valve) which causes me no bother day to day (although it may do later in life) but is presumably a risk factor of sorts.

Good news for me potentially, but I don’t know how I feel about this. Firstly, I would be having the two doses four weeks apart, the second before my parents in their 70s and no doubt countless others currently more vulnerable than me. I also feel as though I’d be taking someone else’s first dose, which feels more important than me getting a second one. It also slightly concerns me from an administrative perspective - had they neglected to give me a second appointment at the appropriate time, and are now scratching around to find a solution? I don’t know, but it just feels a bit haphazard.

What would you do? I don’t want to end up missing out on my second jab if I refuse this one, but at the same time it all makes me rather uncomfortable on a moral level.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, given the apparent forthcoming slowdown in rollout, I gave my doctor’s surgery a ring this morning as it occurred to me that although I had my first Pfizer dose four weeks ago, I hadn’t actually been given a date for my second one. Anyway, after much umming and ah-ing the lady on reception gave me a call back to say that they were expecting some more doses on Thursday, and if I was able to come in Friday morning at short notice they may be able to give me another jab then.

Now, I’m 35 years old, fit, healthy, of normal weight etc. The only thing I have is an asymptomatic heart condition (bicuspid aortic valve) which causes me no bother day to day (although it may do later in life) but is presumably a risk factor of sorts.

Good news for me potentially, but I don’t know how I feel about this. Firstly, I would be having the two doses four weeks apart, the second before my parents in their 70s and no doubt countless others currently more vulnerable than me. I also feel as though I’d be taking someone else’s first dose, which feels more important than me getting a second one. It also slightly concerns me from an administrative perspective - had they neglected to give me a second appointment at the appropriate time, and are now scratching around to find a solution? I don’t know, but it just feels a bit haphazard.

What would you do? I don’t want to end up missing out on my second jab if I refuse this one, but at the same time it all makes me rather uncomfortable on a moral level.

Take it - one jab out of about 150 million ultimately isn't going to make an iota of difference to anyone else. Your condition legitimately clearly puts you in an early cohort so absolutely nothing to feel guilty about.
Second jabs ARE going to be administered - the slowdown will be in first jabs - that's precisely why they aren't going for the U50s - to make sure they can second-jab everyone within the 10-12 weeks

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Firstly, I doubt there was any problem with the admin at the surgery. My mother's second jab (also at a doctor's surgery) was 11 weeks after her first, but the appointment wasn't made till a week before she had it.

Secondly, I see the point about taking someone else's dose, but we're onto the lower risk people anyway - you aren't taking from a high risk person. And to set against that, the admin of all this lot is phenomenal - 100 million appointments to be booked, and your surgery must be up to their ears in it. Cancel now, rebook later, you're just adding to their workload. Don't do it is my recommendation.

Thousands of people are busting guts to inject this jab into as many arms as they can in the shortest time. They can't do it at maximum "fairness". Take the jab, then you're one less person on the "to do" list.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Take it - one jab out of about 150 million ultimately isn't going to make an iota of difference to anyone else. Your condition legitimately clearly puts you in an early cohort so absolutely nothing to feel guilty about.
Second jabs ARE going to be administered - the slowdown will be in first jabs - that's precisely why they aren't going for the U50s - to make sure they can second-jab everyone within the 10-12 weeks

Firstly, I doubt there was any problem with the admin at the surgery. My mother's second jab (also at a doctor's surgery) was 11 weeks after her first, but the appointment wasn't made till a week before she had it.

Secondly, I see the point about taking someone else's dose, but we're onto the lower risk people anyway - you aren't taking from a high risk person. And to set against that, the admin of all this lot is phenomenal - 100 million appointments to be booked, and your surgery must be up to their ears in it. Cancel now, rebook later, you're just adding to their workload. Don't do it is my recommendation.

Thousands of people are busting guts to inject this jab into as many arms as they can in the shortest time. They can't do it at maximum "fairness". Take the jab, then you're one less person on the "to do" list.

Appreciate the sentiments, thanks gents. Was wrestling a bit there with my sense of fairness and morality, but that seems a sensible way of looking at it. Muchas gracias! :)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The expected slowdown in the UK vacc programme in April is being caused by 10m doses due from the Serum Institute in India not being supplied as expected (being stockpiled in India due to a spike in infections there and a subsequent potential expansion in their own programme).

Almost funny how the usual suspects in the right wing press are silent on India halting vaccine to UK, but EU hint at doing it and they enter an epic meltdown.

Strange times....

Capture.PNG

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Interesting the EU had received more than 300 requests for overseas vaccine shipments over the past six weeks and refused just one, and the bloc had exported 41m doses to 33 countries. Sounds like International cooperation to me...

I think it's already been pointed out, but the EU does not manufacture or ship vaccines.
VDL is trying to cover her arse because her and the other failed politician from Cyprus didn't invest enough in building supply chains to fulfill their order.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I think it's already been pointed out, but the EU does not manufacture or ship vaccines.
VDL is trying to cover her arse because her and the other failed politician from Cyprus didn't invest enough in building supply chains to fulfill their order.
Agreed. I suspect what the EU hasn't really grasped is that many of these exports - possibly all of them - are going to places that were willing, like the UK, to take a chance on the vaccine and make confirmed orders, some with money up front, so that the companies could start to make the stuff before they knew it was going to work or was going to be saleable.

In regard to that, van Leyden crying "it's not fair" because the people who put up the money have got the goods and the people who didn't put up the money, haven't - is foolish.

Refer to either the biblical tale of the five foolish virgins, or the less biblical tale of the Little Red Hen, for parallels.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
10 Things More Likely to Happen Than A Blood Clot (supposedly) from the AstraZeneca Vaccine

Being struck by lightning

Giving birth to quadruplets

Being dealt a royal flush

Being involved in a shark attack

Finding a four-leaf clover on your first try

Blood clots caused by taking the contraceptive pill

A young person dying of COVID-19

Cracking open a double-yolked egg

Catching COVID twice

and ....

Having a blood clot without having had the vaccine

https://techround.co.uk/news/10-things-more-likely-happen-blood-clot-astrazenecaz-vaccine/

I was tempted to add [MENTION=15360]nicko31[/MENTION]saying something vaguely positive about the Uk governments vaccine response or something criticising the EU's response but that would be unnecassery and petty ... :wink:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Can someone please explain to me how this guy isn’t speaking out of his arse?

https://news.sky.com/video/covid-19...-says-vaccinations-may-not-be-enough-12250811

His basic suggestion seems to be that vaccines will never bring the R number below one, even if it reduces transmission by 85% (in which scenario we’d expect to see around 10,000 deaths per year.

By my maths, the virus’ natural R number would have to be over 6.5 for such a thing to be true, and that’s generally not considered to be the case, is it? That would be one incredibly transmissible disease.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can someone please explain to me how this guy isn’t speaking out of his arse?

https://news.sky.com/video/covid-19...-says-vaccinations-may-not-be-enough-12250811

His basic suggestion seems to be that vaccines will never bring the R number below one, even if it reduces transmission by 85% (in which scenario we’d expect to see around 10,000 deaths per year.

By my maths, the virus’ natural R number would have to be over 6.5 for such a thing to be true, and that’s generally not considered to be the case, is it? That would be one incredibly transmissible disease.

the sort of thing i dont think should be allowed to broadcast. he speculating, openly, about things he cant really know for sure and says a such. so why put that in peoples living rooms? however put in perspective, his pessimistic forecast would be about in line with a few bad flu years for deaths. we need to start moving to message we'll be living with this for the future, restrictions are lifted once we get to 70-75% vaccinated and get on with life.

as current evidence suggests the vaccine greatly reduces severe cases, hospitalisation and death, and treatments improve, the R number becomes irrelevant.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surprised he is not an anti-vaxxer.

I had a look at his pandemic positions over the last year. He’s changed tack so many times, there’s some analysis with quotes online. In essence and this won’t come as a surprise, he’s chased the populist vote for his silly new party. Never quite anti-vax, but he’s not discouraged his thick followers from posting anti vax stuff under his tweets.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
10 Things More Likely to Happen Than A Blood Clot (supposedly) from the AstraZeneca Vaccine

Being struck by lightning

Giving birth to quadruplets

Being dealt a royal flush

Being involved in a shark attack

Finding a four-leaf clover on your first try

Blood clots caused by taking the contraceptive pill

A young person dying of COVID-19

Cracking open a double-yolked egg

Catching COVID twice

and ....

Having a blood clot without having had the vaccine

https://techround.co.uk/news/10-things-more-likely-happen-blood-clot-astrazenecaz-vaccine/

I was tempted to add [MENTION=15360]nicko31[/MENTION]saying something vaguely positive about the Uk governments vaccine response or something criticising the EU's response but that would be unnecassery and petty ... :wink:

Hmm - I've had quite a few of these. One (or is that two)just last week. Probably because I get them from the farm up the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here