Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm sure me and my 6 year old daughter have already had it. I was really ill in January with what I thought was a bad chest infection and cold and so was she.

I've had to isolate twice since the summer now costing me a frigging fortune.

My wife tested positive last month so we had round 2 of isolation. But after 2 tests a week apart neither me or the 6 year old were positive but our 17 month old was ill (couldn't put her through another test emotionally)

So in my eyes if I've already had it why am I pissing about with masks and vaccines? I now have Tcell immunity as Covid is 80% similar to 4 corona virus related cold viruses?

I would need to know if I have a natural immunity now and don't need one to save it for someone else.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't get me wrong, I understand why the elderly are being prioritised here. It's just that the first recipient of the vaccine is symbolic and their identity will be remembered. Choosing someone who has a significantly higher risk of death by natural causes at any given moment than a much younger person just seems like a bit of a risk to public trust in the vaccine, should that happen (and again, I sincerely hope it doesn't).

I agree, also 65-75 are surely more likely to be out and about?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed in The Lancet journal.

Most in the study were younger than 55, but the results so far indicate it does work well in older people too.

The data also suggests it can reduce spread of Covid, as well protect against illness and death.

The paper, assessed by independent scientists, sets out full results from advanced trials of over 20,000 people.

Regulators, who will have seen the same data, are considering the jab for emergency use.

Emergency use as in fast tracked out?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Don't get me wrong, I understand why the elderly are being prioritised here. It's just that the first recipient of the vaccine is symbolic and their identity will be remembered. Choosing someone who has a significantly higher risk of death by natural causes at any given moment than a much younger person just seems like a bit of a risk to public trust in the vaccine, should that happen (and again, I sincerely hope it doesn't).

My wife and I had exactly the same discussion today. God forbid this lady has any health problems in the near future, the anti-vaxxers would have a field day...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately a couple of "severe" reactions to the Pfizer vaccine have been reported. In both instances, they are people with a history of allergic reactions, so it is being recommended that people with a history of problems with allergies do not take the Pfizer vaccine.

It should also be said though, just to reassure, that "both are now recovering well."

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My wife and I had exactly the same discussion today. God forbid this lady has any health problems in the near future, the anti-vaxxers would have a field day...

don't detract from the matter , why a ****ing 91 yr old when health workers are surely far more worthy if they are willing ......soooooo wrong.....again.:mad:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure me and my 6 year old daughter have already had it. I was really ill in January with what I thought was a bad chest infection and cold and so was she.

I've had to isolate twice since the summer now costing me a frigging fortune.

My wife tested positive last month so we had round 2 of isolation. But after 2 tests a week apart neither me or the 6 year old were positive but our 17 month old was ill (couldn't put her through another test emotionally)

So in my eyes if I've already had it why am I pissing about with masks and vaccines? I now have Tcell immunity as Covid is 80% similar to 4 corona virus related cold viruses?

I would need to know if I have a natural immunity now and don't need one to save it for someone else.

Virtually everyone I know thinks they have had it. They all have varying degrees of 'evidence' as well. I think there is a psychological syndrome in play in the population tbh.

So 'if' is the key here.

Regardless, any natural immunity is unlikely to be as good as the vaccine so best get it anyway.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Virtually everyone I know thinks they have had it. They all have varying degrees of 'evidence' as well. I think there is a psychological syndrome in play in the population tbh.

So 'if' is the key here.

Regardless, any natural immunity is unlikely to be as good as the vaccine so best get it anyway.

Oddly, I'm the complete opposite in that I feel adamant that I haven't had it. I haven't had so much of a sniffle this year (touch wood!), which I put down to the usual coughs and colds that would be flying around having also been repressed by social distancing. If I've had it, then I've had it completely asymptomatically.

I have to be careful though as it does create a bit of a false sense of security. The virus is clearly so incredibly transmissible, and I've definitely made my fair share of mistakes throughout the year (biting my nails having just been in the supermarket for instance) it makes you wonder if it's really ever gonna get you. Of course, everything in the news reaffirms that the threat remains very real, it's just that your own personal experience in any circumstance has quite a compelling impact on your unconscious outlook.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-uk-updates-more-than-a-quarter-of-people-reluctant-to-get-vaccine-12153928

tier.JPG

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is what they found:

2% were "eager" to get the COVID-19 vaccine

39% were "willing"

10% were "not bothered"

9% were "unwilling"

5% were "anti-vaccination" for COVID-19

Yet a different poll painted 25% as unwilling, with 70% willing and 5% unsure.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Took my father-in-law for his first vaccine jab today. He's 86. Pretty smooth, loads of 85-90 year old all given the same timeslot, so about 40 of them all queuing outside on a cold, windy morning. So, they all huddled together for warmth! Probably exposed themselves to more risk than they have done for months. However, once inside after about 15 mins, all ran smoothly and all out again after about 20 minutes or so. Those with specific conditions /medicines had to hang around for a while to see if they had any adverse reactions.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So are they leaving elderly in the worst areas just to die I wonder, nearest vaccination centre to the area which will soon have the biggest increases in Covid is 25 miles away, in affluent Tunbridge Wells.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So are they leaving elderly in the worst areas just to die I wonder, nearest vaccination centre to the area which will soon have the biggest increases in Covid is 25 miles away, in affluent Tunbridge Wells.
Tier 4 Tunbridge Wells.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I appreciate this is an over-simplification, but given everything that's going on is there any chance they could, y'know, get on with it?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Will need to get back when my turn comes round (65) and that will probably involve quarantine when I get there.

I guess it's a moving feast but if anyone has any word on these it would be helpful:

- How much notice is being given?
- How easy/difficult is it to switch appointment dates?

We could just come back a few weeks before we think we will get call/text, but feels a lot safer where we are

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why can we not sure the makers of vaccine in the event of an adverse reaction?
Because the vaccine has been placed under a special scheme under the Vaccine Damages Act.

If you suffer a severe adverse reaction you are entitled to compensation from the Government.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here