The Jimmy Parsons Memorial Handicap Plumpton 4.30 Sunday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
This is the first running of this race named after a pal of mine who died from cancer in January. When I was diagnosed with cancer early last year Jimmy was a massive help having been, at that stage, fighting it for 4 years. I have been in remission for 18 months but sadly Jimmy didn't make it after a typically pugnacious fight.
He loved racing having been at various stages professional gambler, owner and bloodline advisor to Martin Pipe. I am a fairly clueless but happy punter and I was lucky enough to take Jimmy to Sandown last November for a 6 race, smallish-field card. He picked out every winner but, ever the pro gambler, didn't have a punt because there was always one horse potentially opposing. I, erm, took each and every one of his tips and the bookies to the cleaners that fine day.
Anyway if you're reading this I apologise for the self-indulgent walk down memory lane, the purpose of this post is to ask the good tipsters out there (Moggy, Chez, even US) if you could have a look at the card and pick us all a winner because I know Jimmy would love it if we all spanked the bookies in a race bearing his name. It wouldn't surprise me if Martin's son David's horse Prince de Bersy scores purely out of the sentimental reasons that Jimmy and Martin were great mates...
Come on wise men put your heads together and tip us a winer!

John Byrne

Jun 18, 2007
I have to agree HURLERS CROSS comes out top for me. Although closely followed by SATCO'S DECEPTION.

Good Luck.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
sorry to hear about all your problems and really pleased your in remission.
as for that particular race i'd have to concur with everyone.
hurler's cross is a course & distance winner with murphy taking off 7lb.

keep an eye on september moon in the betting.

good luck whatever you back

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I've tried to read horse racing cards in the past, with virtually no success.

So as always I will select a horse on name alone, and then suggest back it each-way if the price is above 6/1. And that horse is SEPTEMBER MOON. My reason being that we are still in September, and the Moon is quite nice at the moment :D

Hope that helps.

Have a good day at the races tomorrow mate, and I hope all your selections are winners!:cheers::thumbsup:

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Plumpton is a course that I normally do quite well at. Course and distance winners are good ones to follow which are Hurlers Cross and Satco's Deception (both mentioned in other posts). Having said that, my 50p will be on Blue Sovereign !!

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Shame that Pipe's horse wasn't declared - what looks like the "sentimental" choice frequently comes good in races like this because they are one of the few times that a trainer picks a horse for a race rather than the other way around.

Personal preference would be for Satco's Deception ahead of Hurlers Cross, if only because Murphy has never ridden around Plumpton before and it is a course that rewards a little knowledge.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Thanks all. Hurler's Cross and Satco's Deception singles with a reverse exacta thrown in for good measure!
Jim wouldn't have had a bet knowing him!!!

Result :-

1st 4 Hurlers Cross (IRE) 9-4 F
2nd 8 Acertack (IRE) 14-1
3rd 6 September Moon 7-1

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I sure was Moggy and if those nags had gone round one more time I would have become very dizzy...
Thank you again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports